Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times

Advertisements

If you REALLY want to do what you want to do, research marketing companies or whatever the relevant field is that you want to pursue and cold call. Print out resumes and go on foot to these offices and drop off your resume or find out who makes these decisions.

Lets put it this way, if I wanted to hire someone that really wanted to work for my company and they came knocking at my door, I would interview them on the spot or at least talk to them because I would feel pretty good knowing that you took the initiative to get off their a$$es and do something about it rather than sitting in a Starbucks firing off copy/paste emailed resumes.

Blanket emails via craigslist or monster.com may work for some, but you will certainly be stuck in a pool of other 4yr grads. If there are that many grads looking for work, then my incentive to pick you out of a pool of others with similar credentials only puts me in a better position to offer you a lower wage or some other compensating factor that would make you vanilla in the crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
Everyone in San Diego who has a bachelors degree has it in business or something similar (myself included). I'd apply at z57 or whatever, costar group, etc. I've learned that a b.s. in business is about as useful as a b.s. in psychology or art history, that's why I am going back to school.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,979 times
i have also recently graduated, except with a degree in geography.

moved here in march and still looking for work. havent gotten too many interviews. might have move all together.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 PM

94 posts, read 346,186 times
I don't necessarily even want anything in my field, just something. I have a phone interview tomorrow and that's the only bite I've had in 2 months of sending resumes daily.

Geography? Look into all the museums, maybe they are hiring.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I had two interviews today at MCRD. One was with MCCS, the other with National University. But I'm hoping to be selected for the Navy job that I was interviewed for in May. They called my part-job for a reference, but it's still open, along with the seven other jobs that I was referred out for. I have federal reinstatement eligibility and am in the top three referred out, but haven't been selected yet.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:47 PM

Just to let all of you know. Most larger sized corporations use software to filter resumes and certain keywords within those resumes. You are almost completely wasting your time just firing off resumes. You have better luck throwing sh*t up against the wall to see if it sticks.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I am sorry, having a 4 year degree is noteworthy, but in the real world where there are tons of people looking to move to SD with same aspirations you may have, you really need to set yourself from the crowd.
I mentioned this on another post, but its crucial to get names of companies and the people you really need to speak to that are going to hire you.

Google is your friend. Look up 5 companies you might want to work for and go their website, or look up officers within that company and just call them or email them. Blanket emails are lame. I would delete your email in two seconds if I smelled a Bullsh*t email. Be sincere and honest. It will take you a long way not only in getting a start in a harsh environment right now but throughout your career.

You were resrouceful enough to come to city-data.com to post your concerns. Use that energy to get to the right person :-)

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,979 times
interesting take. many times wbesites dont even list human resources people or their emails. you end up emailing someone else whose listed who is not even a part of the hr department and theyll delete your email as fast as those machines that delete your resume anywayz.

im not saying it cant be done, but thats an issue for many companies.

applying in person would help too.

but out of the past few months, ive only got a few bites so far.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da808warrior View Post
interesting take. many times wbesites dont even list human resources people or their emails. you end up emailing someone else whose listed who is not even a part of the hr department and theyll delete your email as fast as those machines that delete your resume anywayz.

im not saying it cant be done, but thats an issue for many companies.

applying in person would help too.

but out of the past few months, ive only got a few bites so far.
The trick is not necessarily to get an HR person. They are more than likely only going to tell you to go online to apply. The person you want to reach would be a supervisor in the position you may be in.

Keep in mind, HR depts can be very nice, but very procedural. They deal with calls all the time regarding jobs. If you get to someone in a supervisory role and you are honest with them, you at least can tell them that you are really interested and find out more about what its like there. Trust me, they would be more than flattered in MOST cases. These supervisors dont really deal with the same people as HR would, so it would at least be worth your time to sleuth it and find out what you can or who to speak to.

It may take a few times calling and some doors slammed in your face, but a little slap to the ego never hurt anyone, plus you have everything to gain and it will only make you appreciate the destination a lot more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: