Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 07:02 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,481 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting San Diego for the first time on business. Will have meetings during the day (near the Sea World area for one, not sure on the other).

I totally don't mind a longer drive to my meetings, in favor of staying in a good location.

Here is what I want:
Reasonable price (definitely under $200 a night, but prefer around $120 if possible)
Walking distance to cool places to eat and have a drink.

Cool places = ecclectic, or locally owned cuisine with a nice bar where I might strike up a conversation with other patrons, or watch a game or whatever. I am not interested in a loud sports bar, a place to meet women, get laid, or go out dancing, just a cool place to hang out and get the local favor.

Obviously, I don't want to be where all the chain's are. Dinner does not have to be expensive to be good, but I don't want to get something that I can get in any town in the USA!

I'm guessing there is an area downtown? Or another area. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 AM

22 posts, read 46,660 times
All I can advise is stay away from the W. San Diego. I just spent a week there this past week. I have heard wonderful things about other W's so was hoping for a similar experience. It's eight years old, the third W. in the chain and it's in serious need of an upgrade.

I'm mid/late 20's female and I thought I was at the hairclub for men on most afternoons/happy hours. I pregamed there until my friends could get off work and I'd always leave to join them versus bothering to bring them that way.

I wandered over to the Indigo in the Gaslamp one night and was not only surprised but jealous! Hear the Hard Rock is the spot.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:55 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,677 times
Hillcrest, Little Italy, Gaslamp or NorthPark all have interesting local restaurants/bars and are walkable. I would look for a hotel in one fo those areas.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:02 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
La Quinta has a nice property in Old Town. It's centrally located, walking distance to the trolley, and offers a nice safe area to hang out in the evening.

La Quinta Inn San Diego Hotel - Historic Hotels in San Diego

Old 12-11-2010, 09:40 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
La Quinta has a nice property in Old Town. It's centrally located, walking distance to the trolley, and offers a nice safe area to hang out in the evening.

I second the La Quinta in Old Town. It's a nice hotel and you can get to downtown/ little Italy quite easily from there via the trolley. It's also short drive to North Park and the 30th street corridor, where you'll find quite a few good eateries (let me know if you want some recommendations)

Old 12-11-2010, 09:43 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
Hillcrest, Little Italy, Gaslamp or NorthPark all have interesting local restaurants/bars and are walkable. I would look for a hotel in one fo those areas.
There's not really any nice hotels in North Park. In Hillcrest there's the Park Manor, and in Little Italy there's La Pensione.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks to you and jenkay, EXACTLY what I was looking for. Will book that.

I guess the next thing is to take Jenkay (and others) up on any suggestions for good places to eat, or hang out. Like I said, I'm not really looking for "happening nightlife", I'll probably be in bed by 10 or 11 (Dang it sucks getting old!), but a good local restaurant, a place to have a good local micro-brew, or just a cool place to get some wings and a beer, or some excellent Carnitas or something. Fancy is not important, good food and atmosphere is.

(and walking distance to the hotel, or at least a trolley stop is important. While I won't go drink 10 beers, it is nice to leave the car at home and experience the town via walk or ride, and still be able to have a couple without worrying about driving)

Thanks again, so far you two are right on target!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 AM

If you stay in Old Town, Cafe Coyote is a nice Mexican restaurant. A short walk from La Quinta.

Cafe Coyote - Old Town - San Diego, CA

Old 01-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:

This turned out to be really good advice. the propety itself is "OK" (but they are remodling), but the location and price are great. Thanks!

I'm here tonight. Last night I did mexican food and happy hour stuff. Fun. Any suggestions for tonight?

Berta's looks good for walking distance, or i don't mind a reasonable drive for a decent meal. Meal and tip should be $40 or under, with 0-2 drinks.

Thanks again!

EDIT> Cafe Coyote's fish taco's are AWESOME! I wish they'd let me give you more reps, but I gotta "spread them around", it says...

Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 AM

Rockin Baja is a fun place: Rockin Baja Cantina Bar - San Diego, CA
If you've walked to the trolley you probably walked by Rockin Baja.

Casa Guadalajara is a nice place too: Casa Guadalajara - Old Town - San Diego, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego