Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,630 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My boyfriend's family is living in LA, so we decided to go there for 10 days for spring break! i've never been to US before so it'll be a good opportunity!!

but 10 days are too much in LA so we were thinking about heading to San Diego couple of days, and why not go to Mexico if we have time.
we need an accommodation there, and we don't know which one to take between the hotel or the hostel!
we have found this for the hostel: [url=http://www.hostels.com/san-diego/usa]San Diego Hostels Listing - All Hostels in San Diego at Hostels.com[/url] and this for the hotel: Cheap San Diego hotels, California, United States - 225 hotels from £22 (http://hotel.twenga.co.uk/united-states/san-diego.html - broken link)

so if anyone has been there, let me know!

see you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 AM

418 posts, read 1,313,804 times
I love to stay here when I visit S.D. It is in downtown Carlsbad. The train is walking distance to the hotel and will take you to the nicest area of downtown S.D. for about $4, and even from/to L.A. if you like. You are right near the beach there and lots of great restaurants. And for $50 a night, its a great deal.

Motel 6 Carlsbad Downtown Hotel - Carlsbad, CA - Motels & Hotels

Old 12-13-2010, 12:33 PM

217 posts, read 640,920 times
If you want to go to Mexico, don't go to Tijuana - go to Tecate! It is a beautiful drive though the mountains, and such a picturesque little town with great restaurants and don't forget the Bar Diana. You will not regret the trip.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:57 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,861,428 times
I would strongly recommend not going to Mexico at all. There is alot of violence, kidnappings, etc there right now with drug cartels and you would not be safe anywhere, IMO. You can go to Old Town San Diego instead.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:39 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,611,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I would strongly recommend not going to Mexico at all. There is alot of violence, kidnappings, etc there right now with drug cartels and you would not be safe anywhere, IMO. You can go to Old Town San Diego instead.
I haven't heard of any problems in Tecate. I'd hesitate to go to Tijuana.

Old Town San Diego is no substitute for Mexico! It seems to me to be just a glorified shopping mall that happens to occupy some of the older structures in San Diego. Good restaurants and good shopping ... just, not like Mexico.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,186,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I haven't heard of any problems in Tecate. I'd hesitate to go to Tijuana.

Old Town San Diego is no substitute for Mexico! It seems to me to be just a glorified shopping mall that happens to occupy some of the older structures in San Diego. Good restaurants and good shopping ... just, not like Mexico.
Tecate is safer than Tijuana. I have friends that go to Tecate all the time and they said it is much nicer and safer than Tijuana is.

As for Old Town, I think it's a nice place and you do experience mexican culture there, but if you really want the "Mexican" experience just go to the South Bay

Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 AM

4,545 posts, read 12,422,327 times
If you even think you might go to Mexico during this trip, get your visa for Mexico before you come. It is not legal for a visitor to the United States to enter into Mexico and return back to the U.S. with only a US Visa. This is an issue that ABSOLUTELY needs to be fully investigated before you cross the border into Mexico. Stop at US ICE and have them look at your passport and verify that you can legally re-enter the US. It could ruin your whole trip if you can't.

If you are on a budget, or won't have a car rental the entire time, Dog's idea sounds like a good one. Carlsbad has a beautiful beach, not as beautiful as Coronado, but still beautiful. The train will provide good access to the restaurant and club scene of downtown San Diego.

You might enjoy one of the harbor cruises while you are downtown. It's kind of a fuddy-duddy tourist thing to do, but sometimes, after days of being on the go, it's nice to just sit back and have someone else do the work of traveling for you.

If you do have a rental car, you might enjoy going to Point Loma Lighthouse and watching the bay with a picnic lunch. Bring your windbreakers, and a blanket, and a willingness to snuggle with your boyfriend to keep warm.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQfpD3Mocs0

Old 12-17-2010, 12:05 PM

6 posts, read 9,999 times
I loved watching this can you tell me how I can forward it to my friends or do I just have to go onto you tube? Thanks for sharing
A fan from England

Old 12-17-2010, 12:13 PM

You click on the video then once on youtube click "share" then hit the email tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego