Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM

220 posts, read 701,720 times

Advertisements

How are ya holdin up?
How long have ya been in SD?

Regret the move, or one of the best decisions ever?

Do you miss back east, or have forgotten about it all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
From Long Island... 15 yrs in SD.

Miss it, yeah I do. Miss the family and friends most. Miss the city. Miss the green. Miss LI summers and the beaches. Miss the quiet you can still find on LI. Don't really miss the attitude or the cost of living.

I'm probably not going back to NY, but probably not going to stay in SD for the long run. No regrets - it's worked out great for me.

Most NY'ers make it 2 years and bail, or stay the long term.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
From North Jersey (Clifton)

Been here 2.5 years now.

We love it here but like Sass, probably won't be here for the long run. Don't get me wrong, we're having a blast while living here and move to a different neighborhood every year to see all the city has to offer (on our third now).

Can't say I miss back East, since I go back 3-4 times per year and not having snow is a huge plus!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
From Long Island... 15 yrs in SD.

Miss it, yeah I do. Miss the family and friends most. Miss the city. Miss the green. Miss LI summers and the beaches. Miss the quiet you can still find on LI. Don't really miss the attitude or the cost of living.

I'm probably not going back to NY, but probably not going to stay in SD for the long run. No regrets - it's worked out great for me.

Most NY'ers make it 2 years and bail, or stay the long term.
From Jersey been here for 8 years and while there are minute elements I miss, it takes a few mins to actually narrow them down. Havent been back in a couple of years but still have some friends and family out there, but not much changes for them. Going back there is kinda like wearing that old comfortable pair of shoes, but knowing you gotta retire em at some point.

Things that I kinda miss are pizza shops, but we have burrito joints. In comparison, I think there are more decent pizza shops there than there are decent burritos shops here. Lots green out there, but mostly flat and somewhat boring. Here its like living in a desert that drops off into the ocean. I dont like colonial style homes, but we are king tract out here with the vanilla communities that people swear they can tell apart....I still have yet to see it. Same builders different zip code. People are very proud to live here, Jersey is known as the armpit....and the citizens defend it.

Most Bostonites (M*******s) or NYers that I have met that leave, leave for one or all of these reasons: cant get a job, have a bad attitude (think people here suck and cant make friends) or claim they miss their families. Take your pick.

Wife and I were recruited to come out here for work, life in SD has pros and cons like anywhere else, but I would much rather be here than a heck of a lot of other places.

SD is not the end all be all for me and although there could be some general disagreement with that, there are a hell of lot interesting places in the world let alone the US, that I wouldnt mind setting up shop for.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 01-11-2011 at 10:15 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 10:00 AM

220 posts, read 701,720 times
Thanks all, I'm trying to play devil's advocate and why I shouldn't move here.. I feel like some of the cons of SD are actually good for me.. ie, don't have kids so I actually like crappy schools compared to NY/NJ/LI so I don't have to pay the insane property taxes..Prefer fish tacos to pizza, but yeh nothing beats pizza back east..

Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM

28 posts, read 67,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
From North Jersey (Clifton)

Been here 2.5 years now.

We love it here but like Sass, probably won't be here for the long run. Don't get me wrong, we're having a blast while living here and move to a different neighborhood every year to see all the city has to offer (on our third now).

Can't say I miss back East, since I go back 3-4 times per year and not having snow is a huge plus!

Hey Mak i'm moving from West Orange to SD in June, any advice on places to live?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:44 PM

233 posts, read 885,870 times
Send me a private message. I moved from West Orange in July of 2008. I can totally hook you up. Maybe we know eachother. My kids graduated from West Orange High.

I can tell you everything you need to know. Give me as much info as possible. Age, gender, type of work, moving with all your stuff or starting here from scratch, shipping a car?????

I don't miss NY/NJ AT ALL! I love it here and will be here forever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego