Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,175,071 times

Advertisements

Yes, San Jose's downtown is world class and walk around more to see it for yourself. The area is small and compact. Everything is there in just a few block area. No more furthest discussion on this since this is my final stand. If you're not convinced visit it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 04:19 PM

231 posts, read 640,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Yes, San Jose's downtown is world class and walk around more to see it for yourself. The area is small and compact. Everything is there in just a few block area. No more furthest discussion on this since this is my final stand. If you're not convinced visit it!
Well I guess then downtown SD is world class by that measure

Old 04-26-2011, 05:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,421,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDecay View Post
I was just wondering if people will consider San Diego to be a 4th tier city once the Chargers move. That would put us on par with cities like Omaha, Oklahoma City, etc... I'm not saying that major sports teams are the only indicator of what tier a city falls in, but if the Chargers move, it certainly seems like a step in the opposite direction.
IMO no. It may not be on the LA SF level but it's certainly above Oklahoma City and Omaha even without any sports teams. It will remain at the Seattle level I think. SD is a tourist destination, Omaha is not.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDecay View Post
No.. the only real thing we have is the weather, but the weather alone can't make a city great. The infrastructure, sports teams, transportation, history, arts, etc... is what makes a city great. Even the weather is subjective, so besides the weather, what does San Diego have that makes it a greater city than lower tiered cities?

But I do think if the Chargers do in fact leave, we will be on the same level as places like Omaha and St. Louis. Regardless if you are a fan of the Chargers or even football, it will be a major blow to the city.
I agree with you for the most part, SD does tend to think a bit higher of itself than it should but it's still one or two levels above the cities you mentioned for the reasons I mentioned.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 PM

177 posts, read 399,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
I think you need to look up the definition of "world class".

Old 04-26-2011, 05:15 PM

4,228 posts, read 3,318,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree with you for the most part, SD does tend to think a bit higher of itself than it should but it's still one or two levels above the cities you mentioned for the reasons I mentioned.
Ask yourself this question, "What would San Diego have going for it if not for its coastal location?"

The answer, I think, leaves little doubt as to where SD stands.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM

50,449 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Ask yourself this question, "What would San Diego have going for it if not for its coastal location?"

Or Denver, or Portland, or NY or.........insert City here.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:

I thought we were comparing SD as it is, not if it were in some other location. It wouldn't be SD then. The fact is, BECAUSE IT IS in a coastal location puts it above Omaha and Ok. City, period.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM

4,228 posts, read 3,318,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I thought we were comparing SD as it is, not if it were in some other location. It wouldn't be SD then. The fact is, BECAUSE IT IS in a coastal location puts it above Omaha and Ok. City, period.
Yeah thats my point. Location is a freebie, its a given, no one creates it.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM

177 posts, read 399,301 times
Quote:

The answer is the weather, but that is strictly dependent on the location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego