Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,046,832 times

Advertisements

Most of the beach condo rentals I have found do not have AC
we are visiting in June--I read that Sept is the warmest month normally--
can you get by without AC in June on the beach?

I don't like having to open windows to get air circulation--that seems to invite crime
makes me feel unsafe

Would it be better choice to stay in La Jolla area and drive into San Diego if we want to go to Old Town or see other sights
or stay on the Mission Beach and be closer?

La Jolla is pretty upscale and reminds me of Sedona AZ in weird way
What is the area around Mission Beach like--does it have any "atmosphere" besides the beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 AM

64 posts, read 265,468 times
"June gloom" is a normal expression in California. You should not need air-conditioning in June. We have a few days without a breeze and we usually simply use a fan. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 AM

29 posts, read 78,764 times
Default June Gloom

June Gloom is a marine layer that creates an overcast layer. This gloom will work its way inland but burn off by noon or so up to a few miles inland but stay overcast on the beach most of June. Also May and July will be possibly overcast. Even when the gloom is not on the coast the presence of the Pacific Ocean which averages 60 degrees will have a moderating affect of the weather near the coast. You won't have to worry about Arizona temps even in September.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 AM

I worry about TX temps

What about staying at the beach and going into San Diego to Gaslamp and Old Town or doing other sightseeing--
some people say San Diego traffic is not that bad and some people give more negative comments
when you aren't familiar with the area it makes it difficult to judge because perceptions are all relative...

I am thinking that we might enjoy staying in Gaslamp area more because it is more central

Old 05-14-2011, 08:45 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,296,446 times
loves2read,

Opinions are always going to be varied on traffic conditions depending on where you are from. On the whole, traffic is not bad. Its gets more congested during your standard 'going to work' hours during the week typically between 630am-830am and 4pm-530pm. Traffic MOVES here albeit slower. There are cities and metro areas I have been to where its a complete standstill.

The Gaslamp is a decent choice if you want to be fairly central. Mission Valley is also a very popular spot in the Hotel Circle area due to its central location.

Cutting to the chase, you really cant go wrong with any place you mentioned and may be over thinking it a bit. For all intents and purposes SD is a very easy commute with most points of interests fitting within a 20 minute drive.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 AM

that is my habit--to "overthink"
just try to cover all the bases and avoid possible negatives--too much so

so guess I am willing to give a rental w/o AC a try--but the one available to us (because of the broken week stay) are not the better choices on market

do you think there would be any issues with having a ground floor unit with safety?
I read that Ocean Beach area has lot of police patrolling at night--which to me indicates crime problem
and Mission Beach does not have that police activity

my experience is that normally beach-front hotels protect their guests pretty rigorously to avoid losing business--but condo rentals can't do that
would you have to worry about intrusions at night if you had windows open on ground floor unit?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:08 AM

loves2read,

I am a little bit confused...are you looking at staying in condo rental or hotel? I really dont know specifics about the areas you mentioned regarding break-ins and such. They happen of course, but to what extent I am not certain.
When I have gone to these areas any ground level apartments or hotels are not easily accessible right off the sidewalk. In other words, a hotel may have enclosed windows on the beach facing side, but the courtyard side has sliding windows, where its completely gated.

It may help if this is a solo trip or if you are planning on going with friends or family. Some of these areas you mention can tilt in demographic for that time of the year.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:48 AM

3,487 posts, read 5,298,086 times
You may not feel as safe in Ocean Beach, so I'd opt for Mission Beach or Pacific Beach. They all have some sketchiness, but there are also nice elements there, but OB is probably the most sketchy. La Jolla is super upscale, but most likely more expensive. I've been to Sedona, and it looks nothing like La Jolla IMO. But in any case, you shouldn't need A/C at the beach here in June. It will likely hover around 70 degrees during the day and low 60s at night.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:40 AM

I just meant--Sedona and La Jolla = upscale, great natural beauty, laid-back lifestyle, "village" life

thanks for your comments
another factor has been added to our choice--my son who was going to stay with his girlfriend at separate location is no longer going with her and will stay with us--
now have to look for larger property so he won't have to sleep on couch--that might work for small kids on vacation but not really for us--
we have too divergent personal clocks...

anyone know anything about the area just east of the SAN airport--
found a nice house for rent there and the views in photos look nice--but checking the map shows the airport about 6 blocks away
I am thinking that would be in flightpath and noisy at most hours of day/night...

Old 05-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I just meant--Sedona and La Jolla = upscale, great natural beauty, laid-back lifestyle, "village" life

thanks for your comments
another factor has been added to our choice--my son who was going to stay with his girlfriend at separate location is no longer going with her and will stay with us--
now have to look for larger property so he won't have to sleep on couch--that might work for small kids on vacation but not really for us--
we have too divergent personal clocks...

anyone know anything about the area just east of the SAN airport--
found a nice house for rent there and the views in photos look nice--but checking the map shows the airport about 6 blocks away
I am thinking that would be in flightpath and noisy at most hours of day/night...
loves2read,

Thats a tough call as the area just east is Mission Hills/Old Town. Sounds like it is may be just east of the 5 as well?
While its may be 6 blocks from the airport, that area just east is on a hill and unlikely at the same level as the tarmac.
It can get noisy there for sure from inbound planes. If the price of the house seems fairly low that may be why. I would email about that to the owner or post a better rough estimate as to where the house is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego