Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:46 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,558 times

Advertisements

When looking at a map of San Diego County, Poway seems to be situated fairly far away from the coast when compared to many other communities in the county. The exceptions, of course, would be Santee, El Cajon, and Escondido; all of which seem to be situated fairly far east within the county as well.

What is the weather like in these cities located farther inland? Do they receive more sunshine during the May Gray/June Gloom weather pattern that's present in this region during the late spring and early summer than the communities closer to the coast? Are the cities farther inland warmer and drier than the cities closer to the coast? To my understanding, it seems as though cities in coastal California can be pretty chilly during the day, even during the warmer months of the year.

I despise cold weather, cloudiness, and humidity. Usually, cloudiness and humidity go hand-in-hand. I'm not so crazy about lukewarm weather either. I wholeheartedly enjoy and embrace hot weather, probably because hot weather is virtually non-existent in New England where I'm originally from.

My question for you all is this: Would Poway's climate be to my liking for someone with my preferences: Hot (at least in the summertime), sunny, and rarely ever cloudy? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Thank you! Your responses will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 03:20 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
You're correct that the May Gray/June Gloom burns off faster the farther inland you go. So Poway and any of the town you mention (plus others farther east) seem like a good match for you.

But this summer we had an extended run of humidity and some rain that came up from Mexico. It's not usual, but it does happen. And it affects weather inland as well as by the coast.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,746,532 times
Oddstray is correct.

It will get cloudy here sometimes, but not nearly as much as on the coast. Often we would jump in the car figuring it is sunny and warm only to find it cool and cloudy when we actually get to the coast.

Expect hotter summers and cooler winters, though.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,974 times
I agree with you and prefer to avoid overcast/gloom if possible.

As a point of reference, find route 56/Ted Williams Pkwy on a map.

At the west end is Sorrento Valley, Del Mar and Carmel Valley, at the eastern end you'll find Carmel Mtn/RB and Poway.

Overcast plagues the western side most months of the year, but then again it is not that bad as even on the worst days the gloom burns off by noonish. Overcast is not really an issue at the eastern end. The 56 is a good point of reference because you can also get an idea of how close the eastern suburbs are to the beach.

Temps will be warmer to the east by up to 10 degrees at certain times of the year, so that and proximity to the ocean are the tradeoffs.

Escondido, Lakeside, Santee are also options for zero overcast, but they are also a bit further out.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Some days you can see the layer stretch all the way to the line of Mts.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:02 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
If you want warm without the gray think El Cajon. Poway gets it's share of morning mist.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
If you want warm without the gray think El Cajon. Poway gets it's share of morning mist.
Overall, isn't Poway a much nicer community than El Cajon? Are there any communities as nice as Poway east of El Cajon?

Again, I'm not familiar with the area at all.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
Poway is a fairly large city. It has some million-dollar home areas and some much more modest (but still very liveable) areas. I would guess there are probably pockets of El Cajon that are at least as nice as the modest areas of Poway. (But since I don't live near El Cajon, someone else would need to give you the details).

Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post

I despise cold weather, cloudiness, and humidity. Usually, cloudiness and humidity go hand-in-hand. I'm not so crazy about lukewarm weather either. I wholeheartedly enjoy and embrace hot weather, probably because hot weather is virtually non-existent in New England where I'm originally from.

Or do I need to look elsewhere?
Ever consider the desert cities like Palm Springs? It gets colder in winter, but without the bone-chilling dampness of the coastal cities. And when it gets hot, it gets HOT, and yet it's completely dry. Sometimes humidity is 2%. You need to wear Chapstick or your lips crack.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:14 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
When looking at a map of San Diego County, Poway seems to be situated fairly far away from the coast when compared to many other communities in the county. The exceptions, of course, would be Santee, El Cajon, and Escondido; all of which seem to be situated fairly far east within the county as well.

What is the weather like in these cities located farther inland? Do they receive more sunshine during the May Gray/June Gloom weather pattern that's present in this region during the late spring and early summer than the communities closer to the coast? Are the cities farther inland warmer and drier than the cities closer to the coast? To my understanding, it seems as though cities in coastal California can be pretty chilly during the day, even during the warmer months of the year.

My question for you all is this: Would Poway's climate be to my liking for someone with my preferences: Hot (at least in the summertime), sunny, and rarely ever cloudy? Or do I need to look elsewhere?

Thank you! Your responses will be greatly appreciated!
Looks like you've done some homework. Yes, the further away from the ocean you are, the warmer and drier it will be. What's chilly to you? Summer days at my house are typically in upper 70's/low 80's, with random heat spells in between (This past summer, it went about 100 degrees 3 times), and I'm not as far inland as the places you mentioned. Sorta similar to New England weather, wouldn't you say?

I also disagree with those who say that the coast is cloudy for most of the year. If that were the case, I wouldn't be living here. Just don't come here thinking you will be wearing shorts and flip flops all year, but you won't need a parka, either.

If you want hot weather day in and day out during the summer, why not consider the desert? Palm Springs, Phx, Vegas and Tucson would all fit the bill. Temecula could work, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego