Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 AM

13 posts, read 59,277 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to San Diego from San Jose. My work location address is 7535 Torrey Santa Fe Road San Diego, CA 92129.

I was wondering if you can suggest an apartment/condo for rent near that area. Here is my criteria:

1. I am planning to take public transport (if possible)
2. If I live with 10 miles of work, it'd be great
3. We are only 2 people living (my wife and myself)
4. We are outdoor people
5. Prefer a bike friendly area (If possible), I'd like to bike to work as often as I can
6. Safe, clean and well educated neighborhood
7. Willing to pay about $1000 + utilities per month
8. We both like a residential neighborhood where it is silent and peaceful
9. Closer to freeways (If possible)

I don't know if these criteria are too many. But if you can suggest something, it'd be great. I am not in a big hurry to move but I'd like to make sure I don't end up in a dump.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 11:07 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
That address is for Intuit, and I don't think public transportation goes there. I've been there several times for focus groups, and haven't seen any bus stops.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,819 times
That is right along the 56 bike path.

So, biking to work should be convenient from most North County locations.

edit: Also, I agree with Moved. Public transportation might be difficult to find there.

Note that most development around that area is relatively new.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
That is right along the 56 bike path.

So, biking to work should be convenient from most North County locations.

edit: Also, I agree with Moved. Public transportation might be difficult to find there.

Note that most development around that area is relatively new.
And well over $1000. https://www.padmapper.com But it otherwise fits your requirements.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. That website is very helpful. Is Del Mar heights too far? How is the neighborhood? Is it safe there. I am seeing some apartments for about $1000 or maybe $1200 closer to 56. Also just curious, how is nightlife in San Diego? I am not really a nightclub kind of person but I'd like to go every once in awhile.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulibidda007 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. That website is very helpful. Is Del Mar heights too far? How is the neighborhood? Is it safe there. I am seeing some apartments for about $1000 or maybe $1200 closer to 56. Also just curious, how is nightlife in San Diego? I am not really a nightclub kind of person but I'd like to go every once in awhile.

Thanks.
Del Mar Heights is a pretty good neighborhood. To see if it's too far, you can use Google Maps to plot a bicycle route from your work to your possible home.

I don't do nightlife, so can't help you there.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
you will get more for your money if you live closer to work. Intuit is in an area called Torrey Highlands, which, as people mention, is pretty new, and there are some nice apartment communities around there. however, it is a little bit farther from restaurants, shops, the coast, than Del Mar Highlands. but it would be a great commute, and you can take the bike path that people mentioned next to the 56 for your excursions towards Del Mar.

San Diego nightlife varies depending on which neighborhood you are in, but it is certainly a lot livelier than San Jose. downtown San Diego isn't that close to Del Mar but gets very very crowded on weekends. It's more of a tourist and party scene though. it's a neat area to walk around, especially with all the old architecture, but the bars and restaurants are pretty cheesy. You will do better hanging out in some of the hipper urban neighborhoods, as well as some of the coastal communities like Del Mar, La Jolla, or Encinitas. if you like a more artsy, hipster vibe, then the neighborhoods like North Park, South Park, Hillcrest, University Heights, Kensington, Golden Hill, or Little Italy will suit you well.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:38 PM

86 posts, read 153,354 times
As other posters have mentioned, if you concentrate your search around Torrey Highlands - you may strike gold as they have some nice apartments in that neighborhood (about 10-15mins walk to the Intuit office building), but you'll give-up the idea of being close to a night club. There's a bike trail along the 56 freeway, unfortunately no public buses on this route that can bring you anywhere close to the Intuit building.

Del Mar Heights is a nice area and not too far from the Intuit office as well. There are condos/apartments near the Del Mar Highlands shopping center - lots to do around there - shopping/dinning/movies etc.

Extend your search and look at the 4S Ranch area, there are some nice apartments in this area by the 4S Commons Place which is a shopping center, and a stone throw away from the apartment/condo complexes. Caution though - I wouldn't bike on this stretch of road to go to the office as people tend to over speed. No bus route or nightlife scene either - just purely residential. About 10-15mins drive to Intuit.

Other nearby options include Black Mountain, some parts of Mera Mesa, Carmel Mountain and Rancho Penasquitos are all very close if you can find something within your price range. Again these areas are mostly residential so not the typical nightlife scene associated with PB or Downtown.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will expand my search a little bit. I am not very keen on night life. We are not the kind of couple that goes to a nightclub every weekend. So I am ok if the nightlife is far away. I drive to SF from San Jose for nightclubs so I am totally ok with that.

I am looking for a nice place to live preferably in a safe neighborhood that has added convenience of biking to work. If I have to sacrifice bike to work for a safe neighborhood and close to work location, then I would.

As AZ2SD mentioned, I will look at 4S Ranch area and the other areas that were mentioned.

What are your thoughts on Rancho Bernardo? I am finding some 2 bed/1bath condos there for about $1395. Is that normal for that area?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,819 times
That should be about right for certain areas of Ranch Bernardo. Note that much of RB east of I-15 is a retirement community. We lived west of I-15 in a nice new apartment complex when we first moved here. It had decent amenities like 2 jacuzzis and pools, weight room, etc.

RB is very safe and it would be a nice bike to that area of work off the 56. It just doesn't have much night life or a young vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego