Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:27 PM

133 posts, read 229,680 times

Advertisements

I recently got my MBA with a focus in Healthcare Administration. I currently live in Ohio, but would like to relocate to southern California. How is the Healthcare job market? What advice would you give me on how to job hunt and relocate? I do not want to move without having a job. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj13 View Post
I recently got my MBA with a focus in Healthcare Administration. I currently live in Ohio, but would like to relocate to southern California. How is the Healthcare job market? What advice would you give me on how to job hunt and relocate? I do not want to move without having a job. Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
My next door neighbor does Administration at one of the larger networks in Hillcrest. He really likes it. To my knowledge it is a decent field to be in for any city. Whether there are openings in what you do specifically is an unknown to me.

Here are names of the larger networks. I am certain if you looked on each website respectively, you can get an idea of what is available.
Scripps
Sharp
Pomerado
Kaiser Permanente

Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Kaiser Permanente is always hirinig and a good company to work for from what I hear.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have applied online before and it has not worked for me yet. Do you think I will have problems because I live in Ohio?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
andyj,

Yes living out of state can certainly have an impact, if I were comparing it to other industries here. San Diego is desirable place to move and the internet has made that reality far easier to apply for jobs.
The employers know this and I am fairly certain they have tuned their software to basically toss out out of state addresses in the first screening.

Lets just say that if there was a business I was going to start right now, it would be to create a prescreening, prescreen software for online applicants. It would correct your resume to pre filter the resume before sending it out to work with say 99% of the current systems based on various scenarios.

However, I have larger fish to fry right now. Your best bet is to try and get a San Diego address if you know anyone here. At least by the laws of deductive reasoning I would venture to guess that the non local address is a big red flag.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:31 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
While it is true that it does not help to be an out of state applicant for 95% of the jobs here, it does not make sense to move here without a job hoping that you will find something as your savings drains. It certainly is possible for people to hired from out of state- although it happens with higher level or more specialized jobs. Are you working in the field your degree is in? If not I would get some experience under your belt to become more desirable or better yet work for a few years for a company in Ohio that operates out here -such as Kaiser, and then transfer.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
I think that it would be a good idea for you to get an excellent resume together along with your best suit, white shirt and tie and make the rounds of the local health care entities. Sharp, UC San Diego, Scripps and Kaiser are all growing.

You will have to do your homework e.g. Scripps just broke ground on its cardiac facility. All of these companies are heavily endowed with bright managers who save them millions each years. If you have ideas or projects bring those outlines and request interviews with the VP's of the ones you are interested in.

Hospitals want people at the MBA level who can creatively save money while enhancing customer satisfaction and improve service. You must be on your game to pitch to these folks as they are on theirs.

They all have reputations and work fiercely to garner the local populations. If you have contracting experience with managed care, medicare or can show how to enhance these bring those project details. If you can show experience in your field in another area bring those also.

Come out for one week and bring your best game, your sharp skills and your attitude. Ask questions e.g. what areas does your strategic plan call for in the next five years or better yet you have noticed an area that the hospital is increasing it's profile and you show them how you can help.

Your success will only be as good as your research, your knowledge of the company which you are talking with and your focus. It is a very competitive field. Be ready.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I think that it would be a good idea for you to get an excellent resume together along with your best suit, white shirt and tie and make the rounds of the local health care entities. Sharp, UC San Diego, Scripps and Kaiser are all growing.

You will have to do your homework e.g. Scripps just broke ground on its cardiac facility. All of these companies are heavily endowed with bright managers who save them millions each years. If you have ideas or projects bring those outlines and request interviews with the VP's of the ones you are interested in.

Hospitals want people at the MBA level who can creatively save money while enhancing customer satisfaction and improve service. You must be on your game to pitch to these folks as they are on theirs.

They all have reputations and work fiercely to garner the local populations. If you have contracting experience with managed care, medicare or can show how to enhance these bring those project details. If you can show experience in your field in another area bring those also.

Come out for one week and bring your best game, your sharp skills and your attitude. Ask questions e.g. what areas does your strategic plan call for in the next five years or better yet you have noticed an area that the hospital is increasing it's profile and you show them how you can help.

Your success will only be as good as your research, your knowledge of the company which you are talking with and your focus. It is a very competitive field. Be ready.

Good luck.

AAdad, thanks for the response.

What is the best way to contact VP's at these hospitals? Another problem I think I will face is that I only have a year of healthcare experience, do you think that will impact me finding employment?

Thanks again for the response.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj13 View Post
AAdad, thanks for the response.

What is the best way to contact VP's at these hospitals? Another problem I think I will face is that I only have a year of healthcare experience, do you think that will impact me finding employment?

Thanks again for the response.
Yes, all degrees and little experience is a handicap for you right now. Take an entry level job as an Exec Assistant or something similar and learn how things work while staying protected behind a boss. You may also want to consider starting out in the Finance Dept or similar. Many of us that are healthcare administrators started out clinical and worked our way up, plus we have advanced degrees. Remember you will be judged by the many of us that are clinical. A great way to find employment is to look for a residency or fellowship. Oh, by the way, I hate it when people contact me directly and don't go through our HR department. Following the rules is important; if you go around the processes from the get go will you follow the rules later?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
What have you done thus far in your work? How would you normally go about researching a company which you want to work for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego