Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 AM

49 posts, read 106,603 times

Advertisements

im gonna start looking at other parts of CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valgal123 View Post
Hi there, I'm looking to move somewhere for warmer weather and thought San Diego looked nice. If you think I would fit with a different part of
California over San Diego than please suggest what ever you see fit.

I grew up in a suburb of Seattle.

I would like to live somewhere that is clean and well kept, I'm talking not about an apartment, I'm talking about the outdoors, shopping centers, etc.

I can't stand snow, rain or any cold weather. I don't like extreme heat though, it gets a little rough when it hits 90 degrees.

I'm 21, female, petite, kinda shy, I don't drink (have never tasted alcohol), don't party, I'm a mature girl. I work for Whole Foods.

I know that some parts of San Diego are high crime, so I'm a little worried for my safety. The location of the apartment I'm considering is 5th avenue 92101

I make $20,000 a year. Just about.

I like to surf. I like movies, theater, museums, bowling, golf, exercise, cooking, baking, photography, and cinematography.

I was also considering Berkeley.

Earlier this year I almost moved to Oklahoma as its cheap to live there, but I don't think I could handle the winters.

Thank you for your time!
sounds like you do have your head on straight and working for Whole Foods should make getting a job a little easier but $20,000 a year isn't going to take you too far in So California. it isn't going to leave a lot for all those hobbies you have. Can you find someone that would be willing to move with you and be a room mate? Or, if you considered OK, you may want to look at a few other states that have better weather but are also lower cost of living. How about parts of NM for starters? NM does have some cool weather, but if you stay in the Albuquerque area the summers are beautiful. I will add, it is going to be almost impossible to find a place with really nice, warm winters and summer temps below 90 degrees.

Nita

Old 09-22-2011, 04:47 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,603,946 times
Time to set the record straight

1. Oakland has the recognition of having of the best weather in the United States, according to several sources such as the Randy McNally study. It is very comparable to that of San Diego. Oakland averages nearly %80 of days with sunshine. It is known as the "Bright Side of the Bay".

http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/CEDA/o/EconomicDevelopment/s/MerchantOrganizations/DOWD008099

2. The Whole Foods in Oakland is vibrant as HELL! It's right next to Lake Merritt and Downtown.

Whole Foods shoppers in Oakland can pick up nutrition and fitness tips to go with their groceries. The natural food retailer has just launched the Wellness Club—a program that offers classes, workshops, lectures and a 10 percent discount on food products that the program deems whole, unprocessed and healthy. Oakland’s Lake Merritt store is the only Whole Foods location on the west coast to host the pilot program, which will operate in five sites throughout the country. The Dedham, Massachusetts and Chicago, Illinois programs began earlier this summer while the New York City and Princeton, New Jersey pilots are set to launch this fall.

“Oakland has such a diverse community, especially where this store is located,” said Wellness Club team leader Caesaré Assad, referring to why the city was chosen by Whole Foods executives for the pilot program. “We are in a unique position where we can really reach out to a lot of people.”

In addition to the 10 percent discount on designated foods, Wellness Club members will have unlimited access to cooking and nutrition classes hosted at the store, as well as daily instructional store tours providing information on healthy shopping. Club members can also participate in weekly support meetings and, for additional fees, take part in supper clubs, private cooking instruction and one-on-one lifestyle coaching, all on-site. The Lake Merritt location will also offer on-site fitness classes led by instructors from Soja Mind & Bodymartial arts studioas well as discounts at participating local businesses.

http://blog.sfgate.com/inoakland/2011/09/22/whole-foods-launches-pilot-wellness-club-in-oakland-store/

3. Violent crime in Oakland, as in all big cities, are disproportionately concentrated in a few high risk neighborhoods. Oakland is divided in several ways. One of the ways is, Oakland is divided into 7 councils districts. These council districts are roughly the size of small cities: some around 15 square miles. With that being said, 72% of all Oakland homicides occur within the 1 council district and the flatlands(portions) of 2 other council districts. Furthermore, 90% of all violent crime in Oakland occurs within these same 3 council districts. However, there are only certain neighborhoods that within these 3 council districts that contributes to the violent crime. In other words, within these 3 council districts, there are a mix good and bad neighborhoods.

To know Oakland, is to know this .

http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-08-17/bay-area/29895321_1_gang-injunctions-silent-majority-north-oakland

If Oakland is still an option for you, provide some critieria of what you are specifically looking for in a living. Im pretty sure Oakland has it all.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 PM

278 posts, read 551,303 times
there is a whole foods in el segundo, a nice city and part of l.a. county. el segundo is also close to what we call the beach cities of manhattan beach, hermosa beach and redondo beach. i love this area myself, they have a nice small beach town vibe. el segundo itself may be expensive for rent but you can find a roomate in hawthorne, which neighbors el segundo. just thought id throw that out.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,380 times
Default Safe place in San Diego area

Rent a nice room in a safe area in North County while you look further. Room is 100 sq ft with furniture, wi-fi and cable, off street parking, close to freway, beach and shopping. Close to Whole Foods, as well.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:44 PM

49 posts, read 106,603 times
Thanks everyone, this was all so helpful and I have taken notes. I've decided to stay in Seattle, get an education and then move once I'm making more money.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,396,578 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone, this was all so helpful and I have taken notes. I've decided to stay in Seattle, get an education and then move once I'm making more money.
Valgal,

That sounds like an EXCELLENT decision. In an "I want it now" society, decisions like that are sometimes difficult to do but I think in the long run it will work out better for you moving when you're more established and with a college education.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 PM

43 posts, read 79,647 times
Quote:
That sounds like a very good plan to me...

I haven't read the entire thread, but there are a few comments on what I did read:
1) WA has no state income tax. At your income level this probably doesn't affect you much, but in CA you'll probably pay income tax.
2) The San Diego metro area is quite expensive. Few areas in the US come close. It's not quite up to Bay Area standards or New York standards (both ludicrous), but for a relatively low-density city, it's extremely expensive. The weather here is nice, but I wouldn't describe it as much better than some places further north in SoCal. To seldom see temperatures above 90, you're also restricting yourself to the most expensive coastal areas down here...
3) I wouldn't live here on less than 3-4x what you're making, and even that is marginal, especially close to the coast. With about 2x that and a super reliable roommate with similar income, you could probably just barely make it. Otherwise, you're basically setting yourself up for failure and/or poverty. Clearly you realize this...

Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,419,410 times
Quote:
There is often more than one way to acheive your dreams. It sounds like staying in Seattle a little bit longer actually may be a good way to achieve yours.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,979,475 times
Quote:
That's a smart move. But let me add one bit of advice to you.

First, my background. I was born here, in La Jolla. When I was a child, we moved to the DC area. I grew up there, and after college, I went back there.

I've always felt a connection to the San Diego area and it's always felt like home to me. So I finally decided to do something about it and moved here last October.

I've downsized from a one bedroom to a studio, and to top it off, I've been furloughed. Before I got furloughed, I wasn't making as much money as I was in DC because I didn't have the client base I had built up in DC.

But I only have one regret.

Not having done it 20 years ago right after I was done with college.

Don't make the same mistake I made. No amount of money will get those 20 years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego