Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
Hi guys, my boyfriend and I are in our late 20's, we love to dance and the club scene. My question is ...is there a good nightlife going on in San Diego? Do they have a wide variety of clubs? Are there some good places with live music? I love to dance all types of music pop,rock,salsa,bachata,electro,house ...etc. I asked a similar question in a different forum about Honolulu-Hawaii and a lot of people will tell me nightlife was awesome and after checking it out, it wasnt ..I guess I didnt ask what do they mean by a good club.I didnt find a single spot I really like, mostly because theres no dress code in most clubs in HNL, people will go clubbing dressing like ''gansgtas'' wearing baggy clothes,sneakers,hats,believing they are super stars, always looking for a fight, taking over the dance floors doing their ridiculous moves so Im not talking about that kind of clubs. Im not discriminating against those types of clubs and people but that scene is not really the style of clubs I consider decent. I found it very disappointing in Hawaii, cause 90% of places are like that. How is San Diego?
I hope you find "you type of Club." I just moved from Hawaii and even though I'm well past the hip hop phase (age wise), one of my sons is a professional Break Dancer (currently in China) and I've been to clubs where he and his friends dance (Honolulu and Los Angeles) and never ran across the "ganstas" looking for a fight. Nor did they where the "baggy" pants, hard to dance in those!!
I know once we move to SD, he'll be down to visit and I hope he too can find a good amount of clubs that cater to both recreational dancers and serious ones!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
You'll be fine. I'd say check out Fluxx -- if it's good enough for Jessica Biel it's probably good enough for you. I'd also recommend you check out Sevilla.

You will see people in jeans and a t-shirt out in most places. But I haven't seen too many people with the pants so low you can see their boxers around.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
You'll be fine. I'd say check out Fluxx -- if it's good enough for Jessica Biel it's probably good enough for you. I'd also recommend you check out Sevilla.

You will see people in jeans and a t-shirt out in most places. But I haven't seen too many people with the pants so low you can see their boxers around.
regarding Fluxx-it shames me that I sometimes look at tmz.com, but they just had a story where Ashton Kucther (?)(sic-the guy married to demi moore) hooked up with some tart at Fluxx a a few weeks ago. I could give a rat's tail about this, but I guess if someone who is into clubbing is there, it must be an ok place. For better or worse, I got a lifetime fill of nightclubs by working in them in college so I can't really comment on more than what I see heading into them (sorta tackily or sloppily dressed people)

Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
Hi guys, my boyfriend and I are in our late 20's, we love to dance and the club scene. My question is ...is there a good nightlife going on in San Diego? Do they have a wide variety of clubs? Are there some good places with live music? I love to dance all types of music pop,rock,salsa,bachata,electro,house ...etc. I asked a similar question in a different forum about Honolulu-Hawaii and a lot of people will tell me nightlife was awesome and after checking it out, it wasnt ..I guess I didnt ask what do they mean by a good club.I didnt find a single spot I really like, mostly because theres no dress code in most clubs in HNL, people will go clubbing dressing like ''gansgtas'' wearing baggy clothes,sneakers,hats,believing they are super stars, always looking for a fight, taking over the dance floors doing their ridiculous moves so Im not talking about that kind of clubs. Im not discriminating against those types of clubs and people but that scene is not really the style of clubs I consider decent. I found it very disappointing in Hawaii, cause 90% of places are like that. How is San Diego?
I'll be in Honolulu tomorrow and your description of the nightlife there is spot on. There is definitely a greater variety of nightlife choices in SD compared to HNL.

Here's a website that shows snippets of what the nightlife is like around here. Remember, if you go out in the Gaslamp, a sure way to get noticed is to wear high heels, a short skirt and lots cleavage!

San Diego Pictures and Photo Galleries - DiscoverSD.com

Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Remember, if you go out in the Gaslamp, a sure way to get noticed is to wear high heels, a short skirt and lots cleavage!

San Diego Pictures and Photo Galleries - DiscoverSD.com
Know what's funny? I see this quite often on Friday and Saturday nights.

You'll see three or four girls in a car, and they'll park it. And they'll walk out looking exactly like you're describing at around 10 or so.

At 2 or so, they'll come back, and one of them still has her heels on, and her hair isn't messed up and she's not stumbling. Her friends are carrying their shoes and unable to walk straight.

Guess who's driving?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post

For what ever reason, my spouses work place is pretty conservative (he wears a suit), but this is very rare. Most offices seem like they are on casual fri all the time compared to my prior work places (east and midwest).
I think it really depends on where someone works. I work in Sorrento Valley, which is full of techies, but when I'm in the UTC or Del Mar Heights area, I see plenty of men and women dressed up for work. You'll see a lot of guys in suits along B St. in downtown during lunchtime, as well.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 AM

231 posts, read 640,253 times
Voyeur routinely pulls in the best electronic acts also in this city.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:27 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I think it really depends on where someone works. I work in Sorrento Valley, which is full of techies, but when I'm in the UTC or Del Mar Heights area, I see plenty of men and women dressed up for work. You'll see a lot of guys in suits along B St. in downtown during lunchtime, as well.
my spouse works in Torrey Pines which fits into your UTC Del Mar dress code. Plus his colleagues skew older/traditional. I am in heaven in my job, its "professional" so to speak -education and (sort of) paycheck , but jeans are ok,

Old 10-23-2011, 11:12 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
SD must have changed with their dress code (more relaxed now). I remember about 10 years ago when you couldn't wear jeans into certain clubs. At the same time the girls were more dressed up (wearing skirts, hose, and boots). That look is sexy! Do they still dress like that now?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 PM

231 posts, read 640,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
SD must have changed with their dress code (more relaxed now). I remember about 10 years ago when you couldn't wear jeans into certain clubs. At the same time the girls were more dressed up (wearing skirts, hose, and boots). That look is sexy! Do they still dress like that now?
Yes and no. Some clubs are dressier and expect their patrons to be while others don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego