Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 12,869 times

Advertisements

I've been divorced and a full-time working single mom for 7 years. During those years, I decided not to not date or have a relationship. I wanted to focus on my son. He is working hard and seem to be doing well in school. My son is excited to move to a different state and attend college. All the hard work and sacrifice of trying to raise him well is paying off. I can only hope he continues to study hard and have a good attitude about his future.

With this coming changes in our lives, I'm looking forward to reinventing myself and also move to a different state. I've been to San Diego many times in the past, and I really like it! I have an associate degree in Office Administration but stayed with a company and doing an entry level position for 6 years. I have an active federal government security clearance and eight years of clerical experience with a saving of $20,000.

I really like the metro living (cafes..) and planning on moving to North Park, University Heights, or Kensington area. I also live a healthy lifestyle where going to the gym about 4 to 5 days a week is a must! I have to admit, I'm a little scared of moving to a different city; but once my daughter is gone for college, there will be nothing here for me. I wish to be where I believe I can enjoy the rest of my living life which is in San Diego. I'd rather not use my savings as much as possible. I'm willing to work two jobs to make it for a while to get myself settled.

My questions are as follow: Is a 50-year old woman too old to move to San Diego; will employers in San Diego hire someone like me; is my education and experience be helpful in finding a job; and are some of the areas mentioned above safe for a single woman? Also...because I may need to work two jobs, I may try to work at restaurants for a while. Am I too old to work at restaurantsYour advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by sandiego50; 10-28-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Your never too old for any of those things!
But if i were you i would try to secure a job before you move.
San Diego is not one of those places were you can just move here and find a job on your leisure.
The Job Market here is rough!
With your security clearance though it shouldn't be hard to find something.
Good luck with everything!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:42 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
my gut feeling is there is ageism in SD. I would take any possible clues of your age off your resume such as year graduated, how many years experience, etc. In fact I was told only to put the last 15 years (tops) on the resume. As far as working two jobs, the typical person would be lucky to find one. I live in the city, and truthfully I have not seen any people over 40 working in restaurants.

I am confused to you have a son and/or a daughter? (where a "he" and a "she" is mentioned). If you have one going to college and one still and home, no way would I consider moving with a dependent and no job.

cue the violins to the regular posters...but I will be honest here-don't take this wrong. I am younger, more educated (Masters from a competitive university), and had a higher level position that you describe and it took me 8 months to get a job. While I was looking I applied for all kinds of things (including jobs only requiring a GED) to fill the time and get local references, and never got an interview until about 7 months in. I did do some temp catering. A lot of people on here talk about going to several interviews, but I could not even get in the door which was shocking. After I started volunteering doing pretty high level work (typically done by a post doctoral fellow), I did all of a sudden start getting called for interviews and quickly accepted the first offer I got- it took a long time. Its possible I was really unlucky, my fields of possible employment (govt/social services/research) is terribly depressed now...I don't know.... it was truly surprising. I am glad the safety net of my spouse existed-this move was his idea afterall...but I would have probably freaked out if I were draining my savings account/retirement to do this.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:37 PM

hitman619:

Thank you for your message and advice. I will certainly will try and see if I can get a company to even consider interviewing me a job first before I even consider moving. I have heard about the market being rough, and this is why I'm scared,but I'll keep trying. Thank you again.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 PM

Clevelandgal,

Thank you for being honest, and you're probably right and everything you're saying is reality in SD. I have been doing lots of research including people who's had experienced with moving in SD. Most of what I've read from people including younger people have the similar experiences you've talked about. Your input is quite informative and certainly is giving me lots of things to think about. All I can think now is give myself at least six months or more advance worth of money just to be safe while I find a job if for some reasons I'm not being considered for a position at some company.

I was trying to correct my typos about son/daughter. I have a son who is about to graduate from HS and a daughter who graduated and earned her degree. I guess I got mixed while I was typing....need to get more sleep so I can type better. Thank you for your reply and sharing some important information. All you're saying is really the reality of the SD. Thank you so kindly.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego50 View Post
Clevelandgal,

Thank you for being honest, and you're probably right and everything you're saying is reality in SD. I have been doing lots of research including people who's had experienced with moving in SD. Most of what I've read from people including younger people have the similar experiences you've talked about. Your input is quite informative and certainly is giving me lots of things to think about. All I can think now is give myself at least six months or more advance worth of money just to be safe while I find a job if for some reasons I'm not being considered for a position at some company.

I was trying to correct my typos about son/daughter. I have a son who is about to graduate from HS and a daughter who graduated and earned her degree. I guess I got mixed while I was typing....need to get more sleep so I can type better. Thank you for your reply and sharing some important information. All you're saying is really the reality of the SD. Thank you so kindly.
While there is some ageism everywhere trust me, there are 50+ yr olds crawling all over SD. .

Old 10-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
While there is some ageism everywhere trust me, there are 50+ yr olds crawling all over SD. .
Glad to know there is some ageism in SD which is giving me hope and glad to know I'm not the only one. Thanks

Old 10-29-2011, 10:02 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
I am not clear on what type of specific jobs you would qualify for/be interested in.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:17 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
What level security clearance to you have? Clevelangal may be correct, with disguising your age on the resume, but that clearance will assist you. I would focus on Government Contractors as well as the Federal Government Agencies in the area. If there is some way to get a local address that would be helpful because relocation requirements might scare off some potential employers.
The fact that you mentioned you did administrative work, it is sometimes difficult to get those folks cleared, and you may be in the salary range to get you into interviews, especially having that clearance!
Good Luck!!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Applying to the Defense Contractor agencies is fine with your clearance, but they only accept applications for vacancies that are posted, and the Federal Government agencies are the same. I have Federal reinstatement status, and haven't gotten anywhere. There are 1000's of people trying to get into the Federal Government. A lot of the Federal jobs are geared toward people getting out of the service, so my status doesn't count much anymore.

So try to have a job lined up before you make a move - it'll make things a lot easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego