Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 PM

9 posts, read 9,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Okay PM me and I'll try and help you write your resume.
PM'd. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:41 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Don't listen to naysayers about renting. I'm going to guess that I'm a bit older than you and my husband and I are renters with truthfully no "immediate" prospect of buying in the near future. Everyone's lifestyle is different, and for us we just don't want to be tied down to a home and to have to deal with the additional headaches that come from home ownership at this point in time. Still, I'm sure some people "look down" on us for not trying to buy.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Don't listen to naysayers about renting. I'm going to guess that I'm a bit older than you and my husband and I are renters with truthfully no "immediate" prospect of buying in the near future. Everyone's lifestyle is different, and for us we just don't want to be tied down to a home and to have to deal with the additional headaches that come from home ownership at this point in time. Still, I'm sure some people "look down" on us for not trying to buy.
oh heck yes I agree. I really try and be analytical to evaluate if buying makes sense and even in SD where the market has really continued to go down, it does not seem to be a good idea for us. I am also really fatigued from the relocation selling we have endured-lots of stress. Until now they worked out fine, but this last time, we found ourselves stuck with an out of state property and are miserable being a landlord-even though we are fortunate to have a good tenant currently. My point is relocation stinks if you own property (unless you are an investor and want to be in this situation) Property ownership is a real burden if you want to be mobile.

Would we buy again? Don't know. We like condo living (easy, urban) but not ownership (harder to sell, sometimes hate dealing with condo associations) . We like home ownership (easier to sell), but not living (hate yard work, too much space for various relatives to try and move in). I am a bit brain washed in the American Dream thing where I like coming home to something I own (or will own), but once I take that emotion out then it does not always make business sense. sigh.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Would we buy again? Don't know. We like condo living (easy, urban) but not ownership (harder to sell, sometimes hate dealing with condo associations) . We like home ownership (easier to sell), but not living (hate yard work, too much space for various relatives to try and move in). I am a bit brain washed in the American Dream thing where I like coming home to something I own (or will own), but once I take that emotion out then it does not always make business sense. sigh.
Right there with you. Truthfully, we aren't yard work people either. At the moment we rent a newer (~6 years old) fully detached condo and are perfectly happy.

Also, if we wanted to buy at the moment for our realistic price range we'd have to look at attached condos or "fixer upper" type places and ehhh... no thanks. I don't want the headache.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Well he has his resume, so once he finishes school - he'll start applying to those jobs. He actually has quite a few more skills (IT wise) so he may be okay. I wish him well!

Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Yeah I am sure there are people like that. However I think its completely shortsighted, because everyones reasons and situations are different in todays society....especially in SD. Some of the smartest people I know that could have bought a house with cash, rented for years. There would have more money going out that coming in for own. I rented for years downtown in a condo through the bubble years up until last year when we bought.
Everyone I knew that was buying and ATM'ing their instant home equity are saying how smart we were that we just rented in hindsight. They were led to believe from generations of family members valuing the thought that home ownership was just 'common sense' when compared to renting. Of course it is, when all the ingredients are in place.

In San Diego especially, its really really difficult to see any value to home ownership within certain price brackets for what you get. Personally for me and what we wanted to spend for a first home, I knew it was going to require rolling up my sleeves to really dig in and see what it was about. So far I dont regret one thing about buying where I did.

Home ownership requires a large investment upfront as well as keeping money on the side should things go wrong. However, for the folks that do frown upon those who dont own as "money out the window", they clearly dont understand that in todays society one can lose a job in an instant without much notification as I have been seeing the past few years and its simply not feasible to pay some of these mortgages on unemployment checks and no savings in the bank.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 10-28-2011 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Yeah I am sure there are people like that. However I think its completely shortsighted, because everyones reasons and situations are different in todays society....especially in SD. Some of the smartest people I know that could have bought a house with cash, rented for years. There would have more money going out that coming in for own. I rented for years downtown in a condo through the bubble years up until last year when we bought.

Everyone I knew that was buying and ATM'ing their instant home equity are saying how smart we were that we just rented in hindsight. They were led to believe from generations of family members valuing the thought that home ownership was just 'common sense' when compared to renting. Of course it is, when all the ingredients are in place.

In San Diego especially, its really really difficult to see any value to home ownership within certain price brackets for what you get. Personally for me and what we wanted to spend for a first home, I knew it was going to require rolling up my sleeves to really dig in and see what it was about. So far I dont regret one thing about buying where I did.

Home ownership requires a large investment upfront as well as keeping money on the side should things go wrong. However, for the folks that do frown upon those who dont own as "money out the window", they clearly dont understand that in todays society one can lose a job in an instant without much notification as I have been seeing the past few years and its simply not feasible to pay some of these mortgages on unemployment checks and no savings in the bank.
So, so, so true. Actually I don't think there is any stigma at all now in renting vs owning. During the housing bubble people tried to play off like anyone that didn't buy was ignorant. But that is far from the case now.

I've always said it really depends on each person's/family's individual situation. The truth remains that certain groups of people should NEVER own. Renting is just plain smart for many people in many situations.

I remember selling my house before the true bubble years. And I rented for many many years where I lived. 8 years from the time I sold my house to the time when I bought another principle residence to live in. I rented and was darn happy to do so. I LOVED the flexibility to live where I wanted and as my personal situation changed (young bachelor to getting married then having one child then having another child). It was so easy to just give notice and end the lease at the end of the term and then move. No fuss, no hassles of having to sell a property first. It was GREAT!

I remember people would find out I was renting and try to play it off like it was silly. NEVER care what people think of you...always do what's best for your personal situation. Most of the people that tried playing off like I was crazy to rent....are either upside down on their mortgage and have NO equity in their homes...or already lost their houses or will soon.

Owning is such a huge responsibility. Many people that rented all their lives don't understand just how big of a responsibility is until they buy. Still, it makes sense for many families that will stay in the home long term but I totally agree with you Shmoov that San Diego is a bit of a whacked market. Many people wouldn't have been able to afford their homes if they didn't buy before the big run up in values. I still think it will always be a desirable city and property values long term should do well here long term. You know what they say in real estate...it's all about location, location, location and San Diego definitely is a great location.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:27 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Right there with you. Truthfully, we aren't yard work people either. At the moment we rent a newer (~6 years old) fully detached condo and are perfectly happy.

Also, if we wanted to buy at the moment for our realistic price range we'd have to look at attached condos or "fixer upper" type places and ehhh... no thanks. I don't want the headache.
I doubt we'll buy right away, probably not for a year or so, in order to see how the COL in SD treats us. I'm in no hurry, since we've been through the homeownership thing several times and at our age, I'm not sure I want to have the responsibility anymore. I can rent in the neighborhood I want and spend more of my discretionary cash on golf and travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego