Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 10:39 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,068,362 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Phoenix Labor Day weekend, but am planning on driving out to San Diego on Sunday morning. I'm going to be staying in Buckeye, AZ.. realistically, how long will it take me to get to San Diego? I'm planning a kayaking tour in La Jolla and I have to be there by 11 am. By what time would I have to leave Phoenix? Are there any construction delays on the way that I should be aware of? Also, we're planning on driving back from San Diego at night.. is this wise? I'm told theres stretches with nothing but desert and we are 2 women traveling alone... advice please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 11:11 AM

490 posts, read 1,556,218 times
Well, that's gonna be a 6 hour drive. I would drive up the night before. Remember that 'Zonies all come to SD for Labor Day, so it will be a crowded drive, except for about 150 miles through the desert. Make sure you have a phone in case of trouble. I used to own property in PHX and made that drive a lot. . . . have fun in SD

Old 08-23-2007, 11:11 AM

840 posts, read 6,516,745 times
Have you checked Google maps? It gives a rough idea on how long you can expect. Personally, the maps are a little longer than actual driving time.

Google estimates driving time 5 hours and 20 minutes, so you should probably leave early morning. Give yourself a couple hours in case there are any construction delays and if there aren't any, you could take your time and still get to your destination on time.

If you leave at night, just make sure you're wide awake and you've gotten enough sleep.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:39 AM

mewsizkguy - thanks.. yeah I expect there to be a lot of traffic cause of the holiday. I guess we should probably leave around 4 (am) just in case.

Imperial - Google maps sometimes lie lol. Thats why I wanted a local opinion.

I've driven from LA to SD and it got pretty gridlocked midway.. do you think this will happen on the way to SD?

Old 08-23-2007, 12:18 PM

840 posts, read 6,516,745 times
I've heard the traffic in Phoenix is bad, but in San Diego yes, there's traffic there too, but not like L.A.

With Google maps, I've driven from Southern Oregon to San Diego and back and many trips around Oregon and everytime it was either less than estimated or right on. I've even planned time for stops/gas fill ups and traffic. Depends on how you drive, I set my cruise control on the speed limit. I always use Google maps before I make a trip, it's actually useful than you might think.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Imperial - ok, I'll try it.. better safe than sorry, right?

Thanks for the help

Old 08-30-2007, 11:14 AM

490 posts, read 1,556,218 times
That drive from PHX won't have gridlock, you should be fine if you leave between 4 or 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego