Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,706 times

Advertisements

We have been visiting San Diego the past 3 months. We are originally from Hawaii. We have been in Las Vegas for over 13 years, 13 years too long. I'd give up the heat and the hustle and bustle of this place. When you grow up in a place like Hawaii, you can't be too far from the ocean too long. For some reason I feel it makes me sick, had a recent stroke and yah your blood pressure is up, but when you have an outlet a means to let go all your worries everyday, just to see the ocean, sit by the ocean, serenity. Though reading all of this really give me anxiety, I know San Diego is expensive, but then again so was Hawaii. We were thinking of giving it a try and making it work to have that quality of life, talk about traffic?? Visit Hawaii rush hour, and the cost of living, last time I checked milk in up country Maui was $10.19. I think this may be an alternative for us. For our children to have a childhood, where Vegas DOES NOT offer any. Thanks for the comments!! Its greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
You're kidding, right?

Traffic will rule your life? Let's go to the actual numbers. According to Texas A&M's study, people in San Diego waste 38 hours a year in traffic. Over the course of a 200 day work year, that's around 11 minutes per day. I find it difficult to believe that 11 minutes per day is that much of an issue for anyone.

On the other hand, in the DC area, you waste 74 hours a year in traffic. That's an issue, because that's 22 minutes a day.

If you live in a very large metro area, defined as a place with a population of over three million, then San Diego is middle of the pack when it comes to traffic.

As for your complaint about not being able to get away from people, I'm curious how you expected to be able to do this in ANY large metropolitan area.

Ski areas are crowded during the winter? What a shocker. Yup, if you go skiing during the weekend, people might have the same idea as you. And there might not be a lot of convenient parking there. But then, that's the way it is at Breck, Keystone, and Copper. I haven't been skiing here, so I don't know how that is.

The pollution is bad here. But again, that's the way it is in any large city. When I visited New Zealand for two weeks, I flew into LA. I could smell the pollution there. I didn't even notice it before I left for New Zealand.

Earthquakes are a trivial issue. Even if there's a big one, simulations show that we'll get a little shaking, but nothing too serious. And not having the four seasons? I'll happily give up winter and summer, especially the east coast version.

Finally, I can't speak about the humidity because I've never noticed it. Again, having dealt with the triple h on a daily basis on the east coast, where it was hazy, hot, and humid, it doesn't even register.

As for keeping up with the Jones', if you don't give a flying fig about it, then it doesn't matter. I don't give a damn if the neighbors get a new car. I'm happy to drive my 13 year old car until it falls apart, and if the neighbors think less of me because of this, screw 'em.

All in all, for me this is a great place to live. When your blood pressure drops 15 points in a year, your body is telling you something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,699,098 times
SD County is not nearly as expensive as Hawaii. If you can afford to live in Hawaii, you can afford to live in SD.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:18 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,756,557 times
The only and major problem is that it's very expensive. But if money is no object, you'll do well.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:21 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,442,263 times
I really hate that you need to water the grass so much in the summer to keep it alive; this cost a fortune.

Otherwise, you let it die, which looks disparaging.

When I lived back east, the grass grew so fast you prayed it would stop growing so you could take a break from mowing.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,612,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I really hate that you need to water the grass so much in the summer to keep it alive; this cost a fortune.

When I lived back east, the grass grew so fast you prayed it would stop growing so you could take a break from mowing.
Otherwise you xeriscape so you don't need to water much *and* you don't need to see brown, scruffy grass.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 AM

50,479 posts, read 47,219,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Otherwise you xeriscape so you don't need to water much *and* you don't need to see brown, scruffy grass.
Yep. I'm surprised more don't go that route. I see dirt lots with patches of crab grass.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,584,924 times
Quote:
Xeriscape FTW! My house needed a total landscaping makeover and I've made it one large cactus/succulent garden with boulders. Looks awesome and I have to water them like once a month in summer and practically never in the winter.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:43 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,442,263 times
Quote:
Ok, call me closed minded, but I hate "xeriscape"!!!

Old 07-09-2014, 08:47 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,584,924 times
Quote:
Ok, call me closed minded, but I hate "xeriscape"!!!
Then the alternative is to suck it up and eat that water bill. (or just have your yard look brown)

Old 07-09-2014, 08:55 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,738,287 times
Quote:

Hahaha! So true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego