Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 03:12 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,335,485 times

Advertisements

If you want excitement, culture, nightlife, and art type environment then Los Angleles is the place! If you want slow and laid back San Diego is the way to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,056 times
Question To move to SD or not to move to SD... that is the Question...

Hi all...

I've enjoyed reading all the posts and appreciate all the insight and info shared. We have a family of 4 with 90K in income looking for Safe & Respectable (considering the necessary limitations and relativism of the adjectives) lower middle class living in San Diego area. Have 2 kids in elementary school so good schools are a must. Need to live below our means to have extra to save so reasonable rent is a must for the first few years before we decide where or whether to buy but also want year around warm climate, to be within an hour or two of the great beaches & to experience, on occasion the variety of what CA has to offer.

Joneses who? Not an issue for the adults but fear dealing with this issue with one of our kids...but it's prob gonna be an issue anywhere we go cause of personality so...what will be, will be. Both adults work and anticipate office locations in downtown SD. We will be transferring to the area with our current jobs from DC area in the next 12-15 mos. We don't have to move to SD, we can pretty much choose any major metro area but we really want SD, or at least we really think we want SD! Any thoughts on good areas? I've heard Ramona & Temucula & La Mesa.

I do love the points that have been made about all the reasons not to move to San Diego. Perhaps my ideas of living in SD are not realistic. I've wanted to move there since I first visited in 2005. I know what traffic is like in LA & been through Oceanside to SD and have no delusions about the traffic. Have friends in Oceanside...really lovvvveeee Oceanside... just dont' think it's realistic!

I am worried about any potential earthquakes and I am worried about there being so many people that in an extreme emergency getting out of SD could be difficult. These are some of the reasons I don't want to live in downtown SD or in the most populated areas of SD. ***Know that I'm a complete novice on real SD life*** I would prefer to live in a less populated area but would never rule out downtown simply because of the realization that it may not be practical to live too far from where we will work.

If you can't tell we're struggling with deciding what is best for our family. Portland or Seattle may be the better alternative but it doesn't provide the climate and access that we desire I guess this is where priorities come in. Then again... even if we do prioritize right nothing in life is promised to go the way you plan it so it could still all be for naught...so why not go for what we want. We can always move out of SD or to another part of CA if things don't go well. Guess now is the time to figure this stuff out...while my kids are still young...etc...etc.... hope all can see how my dilemma contributes to the discussion... any and all helpful thoughts and constructive criticism are appreciated

Old 01-02-2012, 03:29 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2tothebone View Post
Both adults work and anticipate office locations in downtown SD. We will be transferring to the area with our current jobs from DC area in the next 12-15 mos

I know what traffic is like in LA & been through Oceanside to SD and have no delusions about the traffic. Have friends in Oceanside...really lovvvveeee Oceanside... just dont' think it's realistic!
If you are moving from DC, the traffic will be a dream for you. DC has the worst traffic in the country. The traffic is much better here.

That doesn't mean there won't be times where there will be a traffic jam, but it's a cakewalk compared to DC.

For example, instead of having the Beltway backed up all the way from the American Legion Bridge to College Park, you've got about a five or six mile stretch of the Five backed up.

Oceanside would be a long drive, with or without traffic, into downtown. You may want to check out the city itself. Park West and North Park may be good places for you to look at.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
My DH is a native of England. Before he moved here, I use to email him to convey my joy that we had *Rain* He thought I was nutz.

Now that he's been here 15 years, he mentioned that he understands why I was so happy to see *Rain*
Yes, it is good to have rain in San Diego. SD never seemed to have enough the last 5-10 years I lived there.

Too much of a good thing is too much. For instance, say that shrimp is your favorite food, and you eat it for all meals. After a while, you're going to get sick of it. I got sick of the nice weather -- almost ALL the time. And the oily (car exhaust) dust that accumulates on everything. The 'good' weather reminds me of perpetual youth, and who wants to stay 21 forever?

I moved to a place with moderate changes of season. I love it. It's my 5th winter here, and I just love the bare trees and the moderate snow falls and the crystal blue skies. And I will love spring when it comes. And summer. And fall. The change of seasons mimic real life. They are good for our soul. :-)

Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2tothebone View Post
... I am worried about any potential earthquakes and I am worried about there being so many people that in an extreme emergency getting out of SD could be difficult. These are some of the reasons I don't want to live in downtown SD or in the most populated areas of SD. ...
Earthquakes aren't much of a problem in San Diego. We do have risk of a serious one, but historically they're few and far between.

Ironically, it's in the less populated areas that you're more likely to have traffic problems in an emergency situation. I'm thinking of the wildfires. They're more likely to occur in the out-lying, less-populated areas than in the more central areas.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:25 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
After a while, you're going to get sick of it. I got sick of the nice weather -- almost ALL the time
According to the NWS, there are typically 42 days with measurable rain. Throw in a little May gray and June gloom, and then a few days with Santa Ana winds, and you're probably up to around 60 days where the weather is less than perfect.

To me, that's just enough variety to spice things up a little while the rest of the time it's just about perfect.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:23 PM

281 posts, read 811,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Yea, Greenbelt is one of the few exceptions. Roosevelt HS is very good; but I'd be surprised with the $200K in Greenbelt just because it has decent schools and proximity to DC.
Yes I live in Greenbelt - Old Greenbelt in the GHI Homes area. These are cooperative townhomes. You can search zip 20770 and if you look at townhomes they range from $85K-$200K some being a bit more (if they are newer). My neighbor did just sell hers for $84,500 - 2 bdr about 900-950 sq ft. My daughter goes to Eleanor Roosevelt High School and we are exceptionally happy with the school. We love our neighborhood and were very welcomed -- and have found a great sense of community.

For me and my job it is less stress. Maybe that depends on industry and such I don't know (though I didn't change industry). My new employer is more family friendly and I really like the job.

I looked at Montgomery County and for those that lived there certainly it is more expensive. Ditto somewhere like Columbia Heights. But there are homes out there in various places that really aren't that bad. Bethesda and that area are really more like Del Mar and La Jolla - a much wealthier area - I mean they aren't exactly the same but pretty close. I have zero interest living there.

As much as I would not paint all San Diego with the same "brush" I would not paint anything here that way. It depends on what you are looking for and what you are willing to trade off for it. We have a bit more crime than in San Diego where we lived - but then again my daughter ended up in the middle (innocent bystander) of a police/gang showdown in Mira Mesa..so you never know (she was not hurt - another guy pulled her into a store)

So no I'm not lying and I've been pretty specific about what I wanted - and noting that not everyone would want what I want. If your idea of fun is to be outside all the time then clearly San Diego would be a powerful draw. For us being able to do and explore the area of DC is just about perfect for what *we* want.

In terms of commute time for me it is shorter here BUT again I live in Greenbelt and work about 7 miles away in PG County - so I do not commute into the District. My commute is 8-15 minutes on average...perhaps 30 with a really bad traffic problem. That is not the case for a lot of people here - but you chose where you live. I chose to live close to work and the commute is just a non issue for me.

I definitely have to say anyone that complains about San Diego drivers -- well I'd take them back ANY DAY. I have never seen such amazingly crappy drivers as here in the DC area. Bar none the WORST drivers - the tailgating, speeding, lack of any common courtesy, and they don't know cars now have turn signals on them.

Last edited by JosephineBeth; 01-20-2012 at 02:36 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 02:48 PM

281 posts, read 811,848 times
Here are some places that fall within the $85-200K range for 2-3 bdr townhouses

10 Southway, Greenbelt MD | MLS# PG7751014 - Trulia 2 bdr $85K

73 Ridge Road, Greenbelt MD | MLS# PG7751021 - Trulia 3 bdr $115K

32 Ridge Road #H, Greenbelt MD | MLS# PG7709630 - Trulia 2 bdr $89K

Now I'll grant you these ones look like they might need a little remodeling. The townhouse we rent was completely redone - hardwoods, granite counter, all new appliances including nice "he" washing machine, brand new cabinets, fully remodeled bathroom...etc. It would likely price out at close to the $200K because of the upgrades in it. But I can find a $85K one as well - I have already got 20% done in savings - and trying to grow that. My mortgage will be under $600 with another $500 in property taxes and coop fees. All told $1100 is very decent IMHO and it makes renting the worse option.

I don't have a desire to live in a hip area or an expensive one. I like my area and its proximity to the district. If all I had to chose from was somewhere in Montgomery County I would not have moved here - as the costs would be higher...esp. if you think of Bethesda as the Del Mar of the area (it is similar)..I didn't live in Del Mar or La Jolla or any of the other very nice very expensive areas -- so I wouldn't do a cost comparison to those areas here.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
^^^^Arlington VA is the Del Mar of NoVA and Georgetown is the La Jolla

Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,056 times
Tonyinsd... Thank you very much for recommending the Park West and North Park areas. Those are the ones we'll checkout first. Thanks again!

Last edited by grey2tothebone; 01-24-2012 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: added name of person replying to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego