Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 06:04 PM

13 posts, read 20,532 times

Advertisements

What do you think of the signings the chargers are making? Do we have a chance to make a run? Are we going to ba a better team than we had last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 PM

258 posts, read 534,533 times
Vincent Jackson is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Meachem for Jackson is a push.

Gaither is a good signing.

Johnson at LB and McClain at FB are improvements to what they had, but nothing special.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,775,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblue View Post
Vincent Jackson is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Meachem for Jackson is a push.

Gaither is a good signing.

Johnson at LB and McClain at FB are improvements to what they had, but nothing special.
Agree, but Meachem ain't Jackson, and losing him, we will lose a little respect from defenses. At the same time, the Chargers wouldn't have been able to sign the other players if they kept VJ. Plus Meachen is a very fast WR, though he is smaller, he has a ton of speed which the Chargers lacked in it's WR's core so this will help Phillip on the deep ball and on slant routes. Floyd is quick and a very tall lanky acrobatic receiver, so at least we have one really big WR that Rivers can throw to.

McClain is a great pickup by AJ smith, he's a monster at 260lbs, it's just what Mathews needs, a guy that can block and run the ball if need be. He can pound it in on short yard situations probably better than Tolbert since he weigh's more and is an overall bigger man.

Don't know too much about Johnson, but people are excited about him so we'll see. The Chargers still need a superstar on defense, either D Lineman, or OLB that is consistent.

At the end of the day, it's all about these guys being able to perform great on Sunday. I am excited about the FA so far, now if we can get Eddie Royal! Dayum! Our WR core will look even better than last year.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,582,027 times
as a redskins fan all i can say is......Norv......

i like following the Chargers but I can't figure out how this guy still has a job considering the talent he has and what he's been able to produce with it.

Also, are you guys signing Eddie Royal? I was hoping that he was going to sign with the Skins. It was even reported to be a done deal a few days ago, but apparently not..

Old 03-15-2012, 02:32 PM

13 posts, read 20,532 times
Royal is in talks with the Chargers. I think they will be able to get the deal done but time will tell.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:52 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,812,944 times
Not a fan of the Chargers, but I watch all the games.
I've got a mixed view of the their offseason.

Norv shouldn't be an NFL Head Coach- he has had great success as a coordinator- but I don't see fire or focus with his players. AJ hasn't done much in the past three years. He's neglected the trenches and has made some questionable resignings and signings and draft choices. What is happening is a last ditch effort to improve a team that was on the decline- this could set the franchise back even further.

I think the team will be fine without Vincent Jackson- I didn't think he helped chemistry of the team that well. Meachem is a good signing- its hard to not excel as a WR in the Chargers offense- and he has the ability to excel. Not sure about Eddie Royal signing- Vincent Brown is now what #4 WR he looked very capable as a #3- so now your spending more money on a luxury position?

I like the FB signing- the Chargers took a huge step back when they lost Lo Neal and replaced him with Jacob Hester.

Meanwhile the Oline and Dline are the worst units on this team- and time and time again when the Chargers go out of their division and play against the big boys- they get pushed around. Gaither showed 2 good months, Hardwick is on decline- and they have little else- if this isn't their first priority come draft day I have to question this organization even more. The Dline isn't any better. When they lose crucial games heading into the postseason or in the postseason the last 5 years- the trench play (and lack of discipline in crucial times- HC fault?) have been the problems.

The window in my opinion is closing for the Chargers they have a Franchise QB and have won 1 playoff game in the past 4 years. If Denver gets Manning what makes you think the Chargers will win the division when the Bronocs won it last season with Tebow. The Chiefs are getting better too. The Raiders are the exception- the Carson Palmer deal will set them back.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 AM

50,415 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Might be one tough division next season.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Not a fan of the Chargers, but I watch all the games.
I've got a mixed view of the their offseason.

Norv shouldn't be an NFL Head Coach- he has had great success as a coordinator- but I don't see fire or focus with his players. AJ hasn't done much in the past three years. He's neglected the trenches and has made some questionable resignings and signings and draft choices. What is happening is a last ditch effort to improve a team that was on the decline- this could set the franchise back even further.

I think the team will be fine without Vincent Jackson- I didn't think he helped chemistry of the team that well. Meachem is a good signing- its hard to not excel as a WR in the Chargers offense- and he has the ability to excel. Not sure about Eddie Royal signing- Vincent Brown is now what #4 WR he looked very capable as a #3- so now your spending more money on a luxury position?

I like the FB signing- the Chargers took a huge step back when they lost Lo Neal and replaced him with Jacob Hester.

Meanwhile the Oline and Dline are the worst units on this team- and time and time again when the Chargers go out of their division and play against the big boys- they get pushed around. Gaither showed 2 good months, Hardwick is on decline- and they have little else- if this isn't their first priority come draft day I have to question this organization even more. The Dline isn't any better. When they lose crucial games heading into the postseason or in the postseason the last 5 years- the trench play (and lack of discipline in crucial times- HC fault?) have been the problems.

The window in my opinion is closing for the Chargers they have a Franchise QB and have won 1 playoff game in the past 4 years. If Denver gets Manning what makes you think the Chargers will win the division when the Bronocs won it last season with Tebow. The Chiefs are getting better too. The Raiders are the exception- the Carson Palmer deal will set them back.

You are correct on some things. I will say the Chargers DLine got manhandled by the Raiders when we played them here in SD last year. That game really was a wake up call to the whole Chargers organization letting them know that the team needs heavier firepower on the Dline, because those guys got pushed around like pinatas by the Raiders Oline. It was scary.

The Dline desperately needs to be addressed, after we lost Jamal Williams, the Dline has never been the same, he was the rock that held it down. But his age, and injuries was too much for the team to risk, so they let him go.

I am now satisfied at WR, Royal is going to be a huge addition to the offence. Now teams will have to prepare for all 3 WR's instead of maybe one or 2. That's a tough task for any defense to handle. Plus with AJ signing the huge Leron McClain, he will finally be the missing link to our running game. Tolbert is great, but McClain is a bigger dude, with more power and speed than Tolbert, plus if the Chargers can acquire Jackie Battle OMG! It's on! LB's better get out tha way from those guys.

The Chargers still don't have a star LB, Shaun Phipps ain't getting any younger, so there going to have to draft a couple LB's, definitely a SS and possible a CB.

A Kris Dielman replacement is needed, lets hope AJ can work some of his magic in finding someone as good as KD.

Turner is not that hard nosed "In your face" HC, but he's still a great offensive mind that has built this high powered Chargers offense over the last 5 years. Who would the Chargers hire as HC anyways? There's no one out that's great at the moment that Spanos could of hired.

For sure if the Chargers miss the playoffs again this year, Norv will be gone no doubt about it. But last season wasn't norvs fault, it was all on the Chargers players for making crucial game changing mistakes like Rivers!, injuries, and the lack of depth the team had which solely lies fault on AJ Smith. He needs to draft better, because so far, he's hasn't done a good job at all on draft day, besides for picking up Mathews.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,830,837 times
How difficult is it to get tickets? Can you still get Season tickets? Just asking, because getting Cowboys tickets was crazy. I lucked out and got some from a friend, but that was pure luck.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 AM

You can't give them away in SD. They are always available it seems, season and single game tickets. It does depend on the teams the Chargers play. Usually the division games like the Broncos, Chiefs, and Raiders, single tickets are easy to get.

But if the team plays say....the Steelers, or Patriots, Packers, well all the transplants show up at the Q, and the traders take over the entire stadium. It is so disgraceful, and frankly embarrassing to be a Charger fan when that happens at certain games.

San Diego is one of the worse sports cities in this country in terms of support, having pride, and consistency among it's fanbase. I understand that SD pro teams haven't won anything, and it sucks believe me, I've been a Charger fan since I was 8 years old, and seen the highs and lows of this team. they tend to come so close to winning it all, but something always wrecks their season each and every year for whatever reasons. It's been that way forever and that has a lot to do why the Chargers are having a hard time each and ever year selling out the "Q" on Sundays.

Green Bay, Dallas, Steeler's, are all teams where you are literally on a waiting list to get tickets, sometimes for years. I wish we had that kind of die hardism in our city. But San Diego is too soft, we got other things going on, beaches, partying etc...for people to care strictly just about football all day long.

Just look at the Padres, they are horrible. The owners are to blame for the lack of success of the team. Each year, you are starting to see more fans from other cities showing up at Padres games. Well you can't blame the fans...the Pads haven't been good for a long long time. At least the Chargers have had some recent success, much better than the Pad's ever has had in 5 years. Even so, Football is a much more popular sports in SD than baseball is, and I am sure that's the case throughout the US. You see Charger bolts all over the place, stickers on peoples cars, charger flags being waved from houses and cars/trucks, but never see a Padre sticker in sight lol.

Until the Padres owner is willing to spend the money to acquire the best talent. Well, the Pads will continue to suck and have high turnover of players every off-season.

After going a little off topic haha, besides all that, the Chargers are looking better so far after all these free agent pick ups. I am actually very satisfied, and I couldn't say that before in previous seasons about the team. It's the biggest Free Agent activity by AJ Smith in years.

Last edited by sdlife619; 03-18-2012 at 11:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego