Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 AM

9 posts, read 11,377 times

Advertisements

I do realize this is completely nerdy and outside the usual "what's the best place to live / best bar in town" type of question. I've accepted my geekiness and wear it proudly in RL as well as online.

The transit of Venus is happening Tuesday. The next time it happens will be over a century from now! My husband and I would like to see it, but we left our telescope in the midwest when we made our partial move to SD. Seriously. We completely forgot about the eclipse and transit.

Does anyone know of any in-city groups that are setting up an event? I know the SDAA is having a watching party, but that is 80 miles outside of San Diego and I quite frankly don't fancy driving that far but if it is the only game in town then I guess I will be fueling up Tuesday afternoon. (Why they are insisting on having it at their facilities in the middle of no where when it is a solar /daytime event where the darkness of the sky is not relevant?? /rant)

I was hoping to find a group setting something up in Balboa or city park. Or if you have a telescope with a solar filter, we could meet up! I'd be happy to bring snacks, maybe some wine and light dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
hrm. That actually sounds pretty cool!

Have you tried meetup.com or the local craigslist posts?

Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_pi0314 View Post
... (Why they are insisting on having it at their facilities in the middle of no where when it is a solar /daytime event where the darkness of the sky is not relevant?? /rant) ...
Because this is the last time in thier lives they'll have a chance to see this, and they aren't taking any chances on being clouded or marine-layered over.

It's also visually much less striking than the eclipse. Really, it's just a tiny black dot that crosses in front of the sun. Most people, especially kids, would probably shrug and wonder what the fuss is about.

Having said that, we'll be somewhere on Carmel Mountain. Not with a telescope, but with our camera and long telephoto lens equipped with a solar filter. (We tried Hilltop Park for the eclipse, but it was jam-packed so we just went up the mountain.)

No doubt there'll be some websites that will be displaying the transit live. If we do get clouded out on Carmel Mountain, that's what I'll be watching.

Geekiness rules!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 AM

9 posts, read 11,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Because this is the last time in their lives they'll have a chance to see this, and they aren't taking any chances on being clouded or marine-layered over.
Good point on the marine layer. I'm not used to living this close to the ocean, so things like that haven't made it into my thought process yet.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Because this is the last time in thier lives they'll have a chance to see this, and they aren't taking any chances on being clouded or marine-layered over.

It's also visually much less striking than the eclipse. Really, it's just a tiny black dot that crosses in front of the sun. Most people, especially kids, would probably shrug and wonder what the fuss is about.

Having said that, we'll be somewhere on Carmel Mountain. Not with a telescope, but with our camera and long telephoto lens equipped with a solar filter. (We tried Hilltop Park for the eclipse, but it was jam-packed so we just went up the mountain.)

No doubt there'll be some websites that will be displaying the transit live. If we do get clouded out on Carmel Mountain, that's what I'll be watching.

Geekiness rules!

Thats really cool oddstray that you are into that

Is the desert an ideal spot for this type of event ? Or is it more matter of elevation + less light noise?

Old 06-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Thats really cool oddstray that you are into that

Is the desert an ideal spot for this type of event ? Or is it more matter of elevation + less light noise?
I have to confess that we've pretty much given up nighttime viewing. We've chosen to share a bottle of wine instead, and the two don't really mix well.

This is a daytime event, so being out in the desert isn't about light this time. It's about no clouds and even no haze/humidity. If it were a nighttime event then yes - desert would be for no light. Even then, you gotta' find a dark place in the desert. Borrego Springs lights, sparse though they are, still affect nighttime astronomical viewing and especially astronomical photography.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_pi0314 View Post
Good point on the marine layer. I'm not used to living this close to the ocean, so things like that haven't made it into my thought process yet.
Actually, the marine layer made viewing the recent partial solar eclipse ideal, without a welder's no.6 mask handy.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Actually, the marine layer made viewing the recent partial solar eclipse ideal, without a welder's no.6 mask handy.
That makes it dangerous rather than handy.

And worse, it gives watching kids the idea that you can, sometimes, look at the sun and avoid damage. The occasions when that's true are so rare, and one's vision is so valuable, that I would never count on clouds to filter UV. (Besides, I sunburn on cloudy days. Believe me - UV is still pouring through!)

Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I agree, watched from downtown and was surreal with the marine layer to the west. We were clear downtown but pt. loma was a little hazy. Still, I was seeing stars after just a few seconds glance.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:50 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I agree, watched from downtown and was surreal with the marine layer to the west. We were clear downtown but pt. loma was a little hazy. Still, I was seeing stars after just a few seconds glance.
Had to go to the coast, not downtown, to get more cover, protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego