Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,349 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

I plan to visit the wonderful city of San Diego for scientific conference. This is going to be my first travel to United States. Besides the site seeing and exploring some historical stuff, I would like to do a bit of shopping. As I understood from this forum, San Diego is not the cheapest city in U.S. However, I believe I could still find a lot of things for much lower price than I would pay in Europe.
Perhaps, this may sound funny for you guys, but I would appreciate if you could give me an advice regarding the following: (1) media/electronics markets (cameras, laptops etc), (2) musical instruments and related (guitars, microphones, mixers etc), (3) clothes for children (last but not least ).
By markets, I mean big shops like Media Markt in EU.

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 PM

100 posts, read 428,148 times
Best Buy is probably the equivalent to Media Markt and you can access the one in Mission Valley via the trolley. It won't have the best prices, but they have lots of stuff from a wide range of electronics categories. Lots of other shopping at the same mall.

Something to consider if you really want the broadest selection at the lowest prices is to ship things from Amazon to your hotel. If you already know what kind of camera/laptop you want, you can save a lot of money by buying from Amazon. It seems that other people do this, and that hotels are willing to hold packages for you. See this thread. If you order before September 15th you'll avoid paying sales tax, which will save a lot on a high priced item. And their 1 and 2 day shipping and fulfillment is very reliable as long as the item is in stock, so I wouldn't be too worried about the package missing you as long as you give a little bit of buffer time. I'm not sure the logistics of getting an account at amazon.com vs .uk, .fr .de or where ever you are from, but it would be worth looking into.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Fry's probably has better prices than Best Buy. You would need to drive to get to one, though. If you're not driving then I second mdm1's suggestion of Best Buy and also Amazon.

For children's clothes, Sears and maybe Macy's. Wal-mart and Target (and Costco, but not too much) also have children's clothes, but the quality won't be as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego