Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 9,331 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at a job located in Torrey Pines area (off of Genesse) --we are looking for recommendations for a great family oriented neighborhood to rent (initially) a home. We have 2 young children (elementary) so a good school district/area is of key importance.

We currently are in the Bay Area and have a lovely neighborhood --lots of families, tree-lined streets etc. I realize we may not find a match in this area --but something certainly want family oriented, hopefully a home w/decent size lot (for backyard play), good schools ---we're not necessarily interested in the "keeping up the the jones" type areas --although perhaps that's all we can expect if in a great school district?

At any rate --looks for recommendations that allow for no more than 20/25 min commute (during commute hours) from the TorreyPines location.

Any/all feedback is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Carmel Valley, Mission Hills, Encinitas
What SF neighborhood are you coming from?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM

We're moving from San Mateo --thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:08 PM

What are the rents like in San Mateo?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:11 PM

Depends on size of house/apt.....4b roughly $3k and up...2b maybe $1800+ huge $$range depending on where in San Mateo

Old 08-16-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmensf View Post
Depends on size of house/apt.....4b roughly $3k and up...2b maybe $1800+ huge $$range depending on where in San Mateo
Seems rents generally comparable to here.

Can anyone provide analagous neighborhoods between SF and SD areas if that is possible?

For example, maybe:
Walnut Creek = Carmel Valley, homogenous, suburban tract housing (or am I off)

Old 08-16-2012, 05:15 PM

44 posts, read 65,264 times
I work off Genessee as well. Carmel Valley, Sorrento Valley......all close and nice areas. Good for families. I live a little more inland in 4S Ranch. Very nice and very family oriented as well.....but a longer commute (18mi each way).

Old 08-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Barry --how long would it take to drive (during morning/evening commute) to 4SRanch? I've heard about Carmel Valley --not as much about Sorrento Valley but can see its close by....thanks much

Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Comparing SF Bay - SD housing is a bit tough...certainly Walnut Creek does have some tract home --but not nearly the level of Carmel Valley. Many homes in WC are still older/individual homes that have been upgrade/remodeled. Probably newer areas (further inland) like Pleasanton, Livermore/surrounding are going to have that "tract home" scenario.
You really won't find much of that type (tract homes) development along the Peninsula (San Bruno down to San Jose) --maybe some in San Jose/Sunnyvale.

Rent in East Bay (Walnut Creek, Orinda, Lafayete) would be in $2700 (WC) to $3500+ (other areas) range. The Peninsula will be higher cost for comparable homes. (i.e. friend sold her house here in San Mateo $850K --home less than 2,000 sqr feet and small lot --paid same amount of $$ for home in Pleasanton but now has a 2900 sqr ft home w/a pool). Definately more for your $$ East Bay --but fewer (local) job opportunities.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:17 PM

44 posts, read 65,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmensf View Post
Barry --how long would it take to drive (during morning/evening commute) to 4SRanch? I've heard about Carmel Valley --not as much about Sorrento Valley but can see its close by....thanks much
It depends on the route. If you take the 56, there's traffic during rush hour times....it could take 30-45 min.

What I do: I only take the 56 if I leave the house after 9:15am (rarely)to start work or leave the office at 6:30pm or later (almost always).

All other times I take San Deguito road off Camino Del Sur which goes thru Rancho Sante Fe and bypasses the 56 altogether and puts you right near the 5. Backroads, never any bad traffic, minimal traffic lights, pretty ride/drive. I take this route 90% of the time coming to work and 20% of the time going back (b/c I leave at 6:30pm most days).

In my car-30 min from 4S Ranch to Genessee and Campus Point Drive (just off Genessee and the 5).
By motorcycle-20-25min.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego