Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,819 times

Advertisements

Since this topic has come up here before, this study might be worth noting.

Local high schools ranked by violence & drug rates - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

It ranks local high schools based on violence and drug suspensions and expulsions.

Best high schools:

Coronado High School, Westview High School, Rancho Bernardo High

Worst:

San Diego LEADS, Madison High School, Oceanside High School, Crawford Law And Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Is there a reverse order study as to worst first? THAT is the analysis I'd be most interested in.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:56 PM

CBS8's news site is not coming up for me now, but they list many San Diego County high schools, their managing district, and their percentage of suspension/expulsion, along with explanation of some of the anomalies.

You can start at the bottom of the list and go up to get the worst first.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:59 PM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
CBS8's news site is not coming up for me now, but they list many San Diego County high schools, their managing district, and their percentage of suspension/expulsion, along with explanation of some of the anomalies.

You can start at the bottom of the list and go up to get the worst first.
Cool, I'll see if I can access their site.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:36 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
, Westview High School

Several of our neighbors send their kids to Westview and they really rave about how great of a school it is. So far, I haven't heard anything bad about it at all. And it's one of the newer schools as well only 10 years old.

Actually our address is zoned for our kids to go to Del Norte High School but several neighbors requested their kids to go to Westview so I figured it must be pretty good. Del Norte is only 3 years old and also sounds state of the art (or at least it should be considering they spent $105 million on it).

Old 10-31-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Several of our neighbors send their kids to Westview and they really rave about how great of a school it is. So far, I haven't heard anything bad about it at all. And it's one of the newer schools as well only 10 years old.

Actually our address is zoned for our kids to go to Del Norte High School but several neighbors requested their kids to go to Westview so I figured it must be pretty good. Del Norte is only 3 years old and also sounds state of the art (or at least it should be considering they spent $105 million on it).
We know people who go to Westview and Del Norte. Both are very good and some of the better teachers have transferred from other PUSD schools to those (that's what I've heard).

Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
Hey, wait. I thought that all PUSD high-schoolers were actually spoiled brats that do more drugs than the inner city school kids...............Oh, and that Poway High is run by the Klan............................Oh, and Mt Carmel is nothing but Asian gangs. You know, just some of the RUMORS I see floated from time to time on this site. Funny how facts seem to squash the myth.

Mike

Old 11-01-2012, 10:04 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Hey, wait. I thought that all PUSD high-schoolers were actually spoiled brats that do more drugs than the inner city school kids...............Oh, and that Poway High is run by the Klan............................Oh, and Mt Carmel is nothing but Asian gangs. You know, just some of the RUMORS I see floated from time to time on this site. Funny how facts seem to squash the myth.

Mike

LOL. Well I think that you only see silly quotes like you are mentioning VERY RARELY by people that only have 1 or 2 posts and are truly ignorant.

This is a great area to raise kids. Hopefully PUSD stays an excellent school district.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 AM

788 posts, read 1,876,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

Mike

Meh. Each school has a different administration and different policies on suspension, so I'm not sure how they can be compared.

"One variable can be a principal's individual discretion over whether to suspend a student for a particular offense"

"Keep in mind, individual students may be suspended more than once during a school year"

- The data did not report how many suspensions there were per student. A high suspension rate could merely be the work of a few bad eggs.

Plus, for all we know there could be countless crimes taking place immediately off campus. Think of all the schools that have an open campus- how do we know that half the students don't leave campus to light up? Castle Park may be "safe", but it has a truancy rate of 60%! I guess all the trouble makers don't come to school.

I recommend looking at crime maps, paying particular attention to times of each crime.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
Meh. Each school has a different administration and different policies on suspension, so I'm not sure how they can be compared.

"One variable can be a principal's individual discretion over whether to suspend a student for a particular offense"

"Keep in mind, individual students may be suspended more than once during a school year"

- The data did not report how many suspensions there were per student. A high suspension rate could merely be the work of a few bad eggs.

Plus, for all we know there could be countless crimes taking place immediately off campus. Think of all the schools that have an open campus- how do we know that half the students don't leave campus to light up? Castle Park may be "safe", but it has a truancy rate of 60%! I guess all the trouble makers don't come to school.

I recommend looking at crime maps, paying particular attention to times of each crime.
This is true. There is more to the picture that these stats don't show.

I do know, however, that PUSD generally has a consistent suspension/expulsion policy. They used to expel any student caught with drugs. Now they allow first time offenders a second chance if they go through a rehabilitation process.

As for violence, it would depend on the nature of the offence, but I don't think there is a second chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego