Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 30,788 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Carmel Valley this summer (renting) and are looking for the best neighborhoods teeming with kids, I want my boys to be able to walk out onto a cul-de-sac and have lots of kids to play with, or run around the corner to a friend's house. I'm seeking a neighborhood where we can just go to the HOA pool and find friends to play with or a local rec center/athletic club. Where we're at presently is a nice neighborhood but older--no young kids--and most young kids are in after-school activities.
Any suggestions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
When we were looking at houses back in 2011 we looked at several houses in Carmel Valley. I can't speak to how the rental market is in these areas or if you can easily find a rental. So you will have to investigate that on your own. However, we looked at some houses near Sycamore Ridge Elementary School and that general neighborhood and there were lots of young kids playing in the neighborhood. I didn't see any HOA pool in this area however. But there were a few parks that were also full of kids.

Same as in the Pacific Highlands Ranch Development. We saw lots of younger kids playing around in the neighborhood and they do have an HOA pool area for the neighbors. Lots of younger kids. However, we just couldn't justify spending $1 million+ and having most of your neighbors able to look into your backyard.

We rented for several months near Carmel Valley Middle School and it's mostly townhomes in that area. We didn't see as many younger kids playing out and about. But if you walked down a few blocks down to Carmel Grove Park we always saw lots of kids playing. There were also always young kids practicing Lacrosse and other sports there. Lots of nannies bringing kids to the park in this area as well.

I think the biggest problem you will have is being able to find many rentals. The inventory is very tight and things go quickly. But I don't think you can go wrong based on what you're looking for if you look in those areas I mentioned. We saw lots of young kids around in that immediate area.

When we went to the private pool in the townhouse development we almost never saw many younger kids. Most of the people living in it seemed to be younger professionals without young kids.

Also, if you can go a bit further out like 5 minutes you can go to neighborhoods like Verrazzano in 92127. Again, I'm not sure what the rentals are like but there are LOTS of younger kids in that area. Great area with several parks in that area. We ride bikes in that area with our young ones all the time and it's great as there isn't much traffic and wide streets to ride bikes and play.

Or if your budget is a bit higher you can always look within the gates of Santaluz there are TONS and TONS of young kids here. On our block alone it's full of younger kids from 3 years old to 12 years old. Rentals are pricey in this area but for what you're looking for it sounds ideal. It's a gated community so you never have to worry about crime. Your kids can play outside with the neighbor kids. The west side of Santaluz has several cul-de-sacs and you will almost always see them with kids on the weekends and after school. You are literally like a 5 minute drive from areas in Carmel Valley like Pacific Highlands Ranch. Just take Carmel Valley road and turn left on Camino del Sur and you're right there. It would be worth checking out. (Just be aware the school district is different from Carmel Valley. Rather than Del Mar Union or San Diguito you are in Poway Unified which is also excellent).

Good luck.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 02-14-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
I have lived in CV for 4.5 years and have children...We live near carmel creek elementary and torrey pines high school, and it's teeming with children, parks, etc. As far as HOA with pools, not in this particular area of CV-I have only seen the amenities in apt and condo complexes; the cul de sac SFH do not have a common pool. But, the kids are always outside playing in front of the houses/cul de sacs, etc. I would say to look around the carmel creek elementary school area-drive around the neighborhoods east and south of there....so many families and children of all ages. Very safe-I never worry about my children going to the park or the plaza for an icecream, with friends[age dependent, of course]. This area is walking distance to the CV rec center, and most everything else, too. It's fantastic for a family, IMO.
Good luck!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I have lived in CV for 4.5 years and have children...We live near carmel creek elementary and torrey pines high school, and it's teeming with children, parks, etc. As far as HOA with pools, not in this particular area of CV-I have only seen the amenities in apt and condo complexes; the cul de sac SFH do not have a common pool. But, the kids are always outside playing in front of the houses/cul de sacs, etc. I would say to look around the carmel creek elementary school area-drive around the neighborhoods east and south of there....so many families and children of all ages. Very safe-I never worry about my children going to the park or the plaza for an icecream, with friends[age dependent, of course]. This area is walking distance to the CV rec center, and most everything else, too. It's fantastic for a family, IMO.
Good luck!

Yep. That's an area I saw a lot of kids in as well. Torrey Pines HS looks really nice from the outside. I imagine inside it's amazing too.

We always see tons of kids as well at Del Mar Heights shopping center. Especially around the frozen yogurt store, Swirls. I swear they have the best frozen yogurt. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where they were claiming the yogurt was fat free. LOL. It tastes too great to be fat free.

That entire area is great for raising a family.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:08 PM

10 posts, read 30,788 times
Thanks! We have two active kids and want to be able to open the door and send them out into the street to play with lots of kids instead of carting them from one organized activity to the next. I'll look in the area suggested, Irmsd, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego