Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 46,742 times

Advertisements

You should have no problems. I am American of Japanese decent and my wife is Caucasian. No problems here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,771,879 times
I'm not sure where in SD OP has visited but I can tell you there are interracial couples there. But that is what I've noticed in downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. Having lived in North Park I've seen maybe 1 or 2 couples and they were generally friendly people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Come on, man. I grew up there, I lived in Bethesda for 20 years, and for you to deny that DC self segregates is silly.
Hmm I never said the city of DC wasn't segregated. When I meant by DC area, I'm referring to the surrounding area of DC, not the city itself. I'm well-aware that PG and DC are the more self-segregating and less diverse areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
In Montgomery, it was like Georgia Avenue was the dividing line between the Latino/black area and the white area. And Fairfax is as white as any rural area in Kentucky.

A lot of it is money.
Interesting you say that because my friends who lives near NH ave and rt 29 have a mix of neighbors that include white, black, Asian and Latino and I'm there very often. I'm assuming you are talking about Wheaton which is changing slowly.

My only observation of Fairfax is that I saw quite a bit of interracial couples.

Last edited by e30is; 02-18-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM

239 posts, read 521,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Southern California and Northern California are accepting of diversity and interracial couples, (as is Seattle). No worries at all.
Not true of everywhere in California. My husband is Japanese/Hawaiian and I'm white. We lived in San Diego for 15 years with no problems. We now live in the Santa Cruz area and it is the most racist area of California we've ever experienced. One member of our family was asked "what are you" practically daily. This area has it's share of ignorance and we've talked with other Japanese people who said that they knew about this area and wouldn't live here because of the anti-Japanese sentiment. Also, this isn't a problem with just low class, uneducated people. We've had racist experiences with a dentist and a professor. We're out of here.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:36 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,977,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Hmm I never said the city of DC wasn't segregated. When I meant by DC area, I'm referring to the surrounding area of DC, not the city itself. I'm well-aware that PG and DC are the more self-segregating and less diverse areas.

Interesting you say that because my friends who lives near NH ave and rt 29 have a mix of neighbors that include white, black, Asian and Latino and I'm there very often. I'm assuming you are talking about Wheaton which is changing slowly.

My only observation of Fairfax is that I saw quite a bit of interracial couples.
Yes, and Montgomery County, Prince George's County, and Fairfax County are part of the surrounding area, aren't they?

And your comment about New Hampshire Avenue kind of proves my point. West of Georgia Avenue = white people. East of it = minorities.

These are of course, generalized statements. I'm well aware that you can find black people in Fairfax, and there are white people in PG.

That does not address the self segregation factor anyway. When I used to participate in an alumni softball and flag football league with hundreds of participating schools, anyone who wasn't white stood out. Nobody was racist, but it was pretty much as white as a North Dakota town.

Here, there isn't any real self segregation because, well, you can't. The population is so much more diverse. It's only 30 percent non-Latino white, and about 30 percent Latino, 16 percent Asian, and seven percent black. You're going to have to interact with people of different ethnic groups no matter what you do around here.

The DC MSA is still majority white (55 percent) and then the black population (25 percent) is double the size of any other minority group. So the self segregation can and does go on.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,390,411 times
I know this link has been posted before but I thought the OP might find it interesting.

U.S. Census: More Minorities Than Whites In San Diego County | KPBS.org

Fact Check: San Diego's Asian Boom - Voice of San Diego: San Diego Fact Check

Also, to the OP. You mentioned that you read about people being racist in San Diego on some web forum. Just out of curiosity, would you mind telling us which forum it was?

Last edited by earlyretirement; 02-18-2013 at 06:15 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 PM

103 posts, read 216,130 times
You wont have a problem...Unless you're like me and wear a gardening hat.. I keep getting mistaken for the gardener.

I live is an upscale neighborhood along lake Hodges where none of my "paler" neighbors do their own gardening..

So I'm constantly getting.. "Senior.. you do excellent work.. do you have a card.". Of course I always answer back.. Why yes, what sort of software do you need?" I'm an SW engineer.

<Kermit Voice>It aint easy being green..</Kermit Voice>

I've had some "reactions" to my wife and I being out and about (I'm light skinned black.. she's white) for some older folks.. we tend to hang out in Del Mar, La Jolla Rancho Santa Fe... I think its more of a generational thing.. old folks and old ways.

I do remember being told to stay out of Lakeside after dark when I first came here in the 70's... Now days.. not a problem..

Funny.. I'd have never thought of Asian racism... I guess there's always gonna be someone somewhere who have a problem.. screw'em if they have a problem

Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,774,776 times
SD is still an overly White city and County regardless of what the Census says from what I see. You wont really have a problem if your Asian in SD since Asian people are generally regarded similar to Whites as being highly educated, high quality groups of people that don't cause problems.

If a Black man or Hispanic man walked into a restaurant with a White women in say....Lakeside, Santee or any other far East County places like Ramona and Julian, then you might get a lot weird or angry stares from some hickish White folks.

But generally people here don't care, if anything, you might get a few stares here and there maybe out of curiosity and excitement, or out of hate and rejection, so it depends. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, and if anybody says anything to you or holds a stare for too long, just tell em "WTF are you looking at"?? And I guarantee you they will be shocked and probably just hold their heads down the entire time looking like they just got punked.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM

9 posts, read 10,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I know this link has been posted before but I thought the OP might find it interesting.

U.S. Census: More Minorities Than Whites In San Diego County | KPBS.org

Fact Check: San Diego's Asian Boom - Voice of San Diego: San Diego Fact Check

Also, to the OP. You mentioned that you read about people being racist in San Diego on some web forum. Just out of curiosity, would you mind telling us which forum it was?

Hi. I believe it was either city-data.com's older posts, or similar forum. I cannot find the message now, but saw it when I searched for "San Diego vs. Seattle" on Google. I can send it to you if I see it again. Thank you.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 10,360 times
To everyone who replied,

Thank you so much for your responses. They were extremely helpful, as well as re-assuring.

Sincerely,
Escape The Rain

Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,390,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapetherain View Post
Hi. I believe it was either city-data.com's older posts, or similar forum. I cannot find the message now, but saw it when I searched for "San Diego vs. Seattle" on Google. I can send it to you if I see it again. Thank you.
Sure no worries. Don't waste time trying to find it. I was just curious as I've never read about any racial problems other than possibly some isolated areas like Santee. And even then I never heard first hand from someone that witnessed it.

As others mentioned, you won't have any problems at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego