Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of these four cities
San Francisco 12 25.53%
Honolulu 8 17.02%
Seattle 5 10.64%
San Diego 28 59.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM

19 posts, read 88,187 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'd like to get peoples opinions on their favorites between these four places. I'm considering moving to one of them.

I'm looking for a city that's very scenic, pretty laid back, has a lot to do, is easy to walk around, has good food, is quite safe, and is good for someone in their 20's.

Please post your advice for me personally and vote for your overall favorite in the poll.

I've made it multiple choice in case you feel there is a tie.

Thanks and let the voting begin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 42,281 times
I moved to San Diego from Seattle, I'd skip Sesttle if I were you. The depressing weather will get you down.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
San Francisco has terrible weather, even worse than Seattle. And SanFran is very expensive. San Diego is also very expensive because it has such nice weather. Honolulu is even more expensive, but has the best weather and beaches and scenery out of all listed, so I voted there.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
San Francisco has terrible weather, even worse than Seattle. And SanFran is very expensive. San Diego is also very expensive because it has such nice weather. Honolulu is even more expensive, but has the best weather and beaches and scenery out of all listed, so I voted there.

Obviously not everyone likes the same weather you do. The most loved and expensive city on the list (San Francisco) has what you call terrible weather.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:12 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,285,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Obviously not everyone likes the same weather you do. The most loved and expensive city on the list (San Francisco) has what you call terrible weather.
Summers are worse in SF than Seattle. In SF, it is typically cold, windy and foggy, whereas it is often sunny and warm in Seattle. For the remainder of the year, SF's weather is much better than Seattle's

I personally think SD's weather is overrated myself. It is frequently foggy there as well in the summer. While milder and less windy, it is a little chilly for my taste. For weather alone, Honolulu beats the other cities hands down, but I guess we're not just talking about weather.

As a city overall in terms of what it offers, here's how I'd rank them:

1. San Francisco
2. Seattle
3. San Diego
4. Honolulu

Old 03-03-2013, 12:16 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,124,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Summers are worse in SF than Seattle. In SF, it is typically cold, windy and foggy, whereas it is often sunny and warm in Seattle. For the remainder of the year, SF's weather is much better than Seattle's

I personally think SD's weather is overrated myself. It is frequently foggy there as well in the summer. While milder and less windy, it is a little chilly for my taste. For weather alone, Honolulu beats the other cities hands down, but I guess we're not just talking about weather.

Its not all weather, but anyone who has spent time in the SF bay area knows you can pick your climate depending on where exactly you live. If its typically foggy in SF in summer, move down the peninsula and its sunny and warm. Its not static. Microclimates galore. Theres no way Seattle has better weather.

Honolulu is near perfect for most year round, but national perception seems to be San Diego and coastal SoCal in general has the best climate.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Its not all weather, but anyone who has spent time in the SF bay area knows you can pick your climate depending on where exactly you live. If its typically foggy in SF in summer, move down the peninsula and its sunny and warm. Its not static. Microclimates galore. Theres no way Seattle has better weather.

Honolulu is near perfect for most year round, but national perception seems to be San Diego and coastal SoCal in general has the best climate.
Agreed about the peninsula having better weather, but nobody mentioned SF Bay Area, just SF. Again, I still think that Seattle proper has better weather than SF proper in the summer, but not year-round.

With SD, if you're about 8-15 miles inland, the weather is perfect year-around, but right on the coast, its overrated.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:10 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Born in Honolulu

Lived in all three of the others.

For hip young cool expensive freedom with potential snobs SF all the way.

For less hip young less cool family oriented less expensive SD fits

For big cool peaceful beauty with bad traffic and hip Seattle

For laid back lovely garden feel and tres cool not Honolulu but Maui, Kona

costs highest 1st:

1.Honolulu
2. SF
3. SD
4. Seattle

depends on which groove you wish.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
In SF, it is typically cold, windy and foggy,
I got news for ya. 55F-60F degrees aint cold. Overnight low's of -20F with 2' of snow on the ground like they get in the northern midwest is cold. Anyone who claims SF is cold is just a big wimp.

Have been to all four cities and spent a lot of time in San Diego so IMO:
1. San Diego
2. San Francisco
3. Honolulu
4. Seattle

I had to choose San Diego because of the ever so slightly lower cost of living as compared with San Francisco. If money were no object then I'd choose San Francisco over any city in the world.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I got news for ya. 55F-60F degrees aint cold. Overnight low's of -20F with 2' of snow on the ground like they get in the northern midwest is cold. Anyone who claims SF is cold is just a big wimp.
Don't get me wrong, I love SF and still live in the Bay Area. But, I'm just saying that the weather there shouldn't be underestimated. Yes, it does have mild winters and I have nothing to complain about that time of year. But, when you have a chilly, windy summer and you crave pool weather, it gets to you after a while. Maybe its just me, but I prefer real summers and that's why I've moved out of the city and down the peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego