Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving from Vegas to San Diego
Make the move to San Diego. 12 66.67%
Use Vegas as an income hub, attempt to reside in SD on off days. 2 11.11%
Stay in Vegas and lose all hope for humanity. 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 PM

24 posts, read 33,454 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I very much appreciate all the feedback in this thread. There are a few things I'd like to touch base on in reply to some comments.

The "living as a hippie in a van," is obviously me being colorful about the situation. I have never been a bum nor unemployed in my life. I would never see being a bum as an endgame, haha. To be honest, it doesn't matter to me if I can find another career in Food and Beverage in SD. I have had a myriad of jobs in the past, from physical labor to working on motorcycles. Anything that could pay the bills and allow me to adjust somewhat comfortably would be great in my book. I've had the opportunity to speak to a guest yesterday who was a SD resident, who had nothing but positive things to say about the job market, compared to Las Vegas of course.

My personal work ethic is strong, I am physically fit, possess high quality guest service skills, and I'm fairly attractive. I'm not trying to fluff myself up, but I'm just trying give you folks an idea of myself. I am not exactly a big spender, the only reason I'm that way now is because I live here.. There's simply nothing else better to do. I was born in Los Angeles, but moved here to Vegas when I was just a 6 mo old baby. I would very much prefer to stay here on the west coast, hence why I have not mentioned other great U.S. cities out there.

The biggest reason I want to move is to get away from this lifestyle of drinking, blowing my money going out (as it's the ONLY thing to enjoy here for "leisure") and dealing with nothing but Ed Hardy shirts and people who would make the Jersey Shore cast look like model American citizens. I want a better quality of life than what is offered where I currently reside. Again, thank you everyone for taking the time to give me serious advice. I'm 75% sure I'll be making the move after I go to SD several more times to line up a job and get a place to rent. I have stopped clubbing and have a couple thousand saved up, which will preferably be around $10-15 in savings before making the move. Here's a photo of myself just for kicks.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 04:43 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
Hi there!
I'm sorry to tell you this, but many of the cons in Vegas are also cons of San Diego.
-You will find "hillbilly" types and materialistic people here too.
-Job market here isn't great; plus, the pay sucks
-It's very dry here as well
-Expensive!

However, there's lots of pros. The weather is much better as Vegas: slightly more moist, warmer winters, cooler summers, and the beach! Lots more to do. There's nice hiking trails like in Vegas, but you're also close to Mexico, LA, OC, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Catalina, and relatively close to Vegas if you ever wanna visit again. You'll meet more friendly people here than in Las Vegas. I've made some great friends here. So I think you should take the risk and move to San Diego if you can get a decent job! I'm sure you'll be much happier! BTW, in case you don't know, the Gaslamp District in downtown has lots of nightlife, so looks for jobs there! Good luck!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
LoL. Are you for real? Too funny.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,166 times
I've lived in Vegas, love it bro.. not from there...

Find something to re-shift your focus that you enjoy. Set a goal and find enjoyment in working towards that.

Maybe a blog or website ( dm me if you like the idea and need help )

Save up money in Vega.s... take that new business with you once you move.... use it to help supplement some income....

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
After looking at the photo, maybe Vegas is perfect for you.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 PM

2,850 posts, read 4,522,770 times
no no, you can have him.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:09 PM

24 posts, read 33,454 times
Talk about judging a book by it's cover. What exactly is it about my appearance that makes some people post such replies as, "After looking at the photo, maybe Vegas is perfect for you?" Am I not well dressed and clean cut? Is my grammar and obvious intellectual ability completely moot simply because I'm not a neckbeard who wears Target clothing? Seriously.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgore View Post
Talk about judging a book by it's cover. What exactly is it about my appearance that makes some people post such replies as, "After looking at the photo, maybe Vegas is perfect for you?" Am I not well dressed and clean cut? Is my grammar and obvious intellectual ability completely moot simply because I'm not a neckbeard who wears Target clothing? Seriously.

"Seriously"? Nope.

I believe it was meant to be a joke. (I'm not sayin' anything about whether it was a good joke ... )

Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgore View Post

Well here's the rub. Online you can only judge someone by the quality of their posts and the content of their posts. You're 28 years old. Not over the hill by any means. But NO spring chicken either. Most 28 year old adults aren't posing in front of the mirror taking photos of themselves and then posting them online. (Think more grade school or maybe high school kids).

You talk about how you're sick of the Vegas party scene but then you talk about all the money you blow going out and partying. You post about being "Physically fit and attractive" and post photos of yourself on a PUBLIC message board.

I mean these things aren't exactly going to score you any points. So yes in a sense, online on public message boards, you do kind of judge a "book by it's cover".

It's obvious you have a high opinion of yourself and it sounds like you assume you will do ok in San Diego. The sad reality is there are thousands of guys like you here in San Diego. And these guys are NOT making $100k a year. So if you think you can do anything like that in San Diego you're wrong. I can guarantee you that you will NOT make this kind of money in San Diego bar tending.

Just because you are in Vegas doesn't mean you have to blow money all the time going out and partying. You do that because it sounds like you enjoy that lifestyle. While Vegas is NOT my cup of tea for more than a weekend or long weekend, there are plenty of people there that lead normal and healthy lifestyles doing normal things and finding meaningful relationships.

Like GMUAlum correctly noted, no one should be moving to San Diego because they think their life will be better.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 PM

29 posts, read 33,078 times
I find this post hilarious and just had to comment. I've been looking at the SD forums for awhile with the possibility of moving out there as part of an internal job transfer with my company. I can pick between several areas in the US and SD is one of them so I'm very interested to see what people like, dislike, etc

So I love posts that start just like this one started, with people deciding on whether or not to make the move. And I have to tell you, OP, earlyretirement hit the nail on the head. You began by seeming to be legitimately wanting to get away from Vegas for the primary reason of being tired of constantly living or being exposed to the party lifestyle. But then you left me scratching my head when in the next breath you took a picture of yourself, in the mirror, on your phone, in what is without a doubt one of your clubbing outfits. Then the next picture is....you out clubbing....(or at least you might as well be, considering the outfits, beads, what you're doing in the pic). So, basically, two pictures of yourself that you're proud enough to post for any and everyone to see, of you doing the exact thing you claim to be trying to get away from. This is entertaining stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego