Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:48 AM

161 posts, read 387,675 times

Advertisements

So we have fallen in love and today actually approved for this high rise apartment in downtown (Vantage Point). We like the feel of the place and the location, downtown SD looks so alive and fun. but we do have 2 kids (12 & 9) and I'm afraid they will be the only kids on that 600+ apartment complex. Even though we have always lived in the suburbs (KY and FL) my kids are not used to running around the neighborhood not just because we are a tight family that actually truly enjoy our kids companies but we were always so busy with soccer and baseball and homework, etc. Anyway... My point is I don't think they'd miss the "playing outside" thing. But I'm not sure how I feel about living in a place where I'll never see another child. On another side I grew up in a high riser and never felt unhappy.
Anyway... Just wanted a little input about kid living downtown. We can't be the ONLY ones... Or can we??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,279,634 times
I grew up in a high rise and then moved out to the burbs for school when I was 12 so I understand a little.
IMHO every kid is different and some can acclimate well and others might not. Generally speaking having kids that age will not be the norm especially in the rental high rise. It could be fun for a year or something if the kids are home schooled. But SD downtown is a different beast than NYC in terms of live/work dynamic as it relates to family life like you are mentioning.

Out here in Sd for the 6 years we lived downtown we never saw kids that age there in abundance except seeing them at kid friendly street fairs. It's very likely they were from another part of the city though.

I am not a parent but IMHO it sounds like you are on vacation rather than thinking realistically. Since none of us know you and you are asking the question, it sounds like you may be somewhat doubtful of the realities.
Keep in mind you can always go downtown. There is no bubble there or horrendous traffic like other major downtowns.
I am also not saying to live in the burbs. But really it sounds like you haven't gone off to explore even the city suburbs here which have the best of both worlds.

How long is the lease for? I can't imagine it's easy with a family of four trying to find a place.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,580,736 times
San Diego is a 'burbs and beaches kind of city. Less than 1% of San Diego's population lives downtown. I couldn't imagine being 9 yrs old and living in downtown San Diego.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,388,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
San Diego is a 'burbs and beaches kind of city. Less than 1% of San Diego's population lives downtown. I couldn't imagine being 9 yrs old and living in downtown San Diego.

I TOTALLY agree with cruitr about San Diego. I also can't imagine raising 'tweens' in a highrise in downtown San Diego.

Where you thinking about you and your wife when you decided to move down there or the kids? Where will the kids go to school? Where will you work?

I'm not so sure about the "not missing playing outside type of thing". I know when I was that age I loved playing outside.

As Shmoov mentioned, did you even at least go out and explore some other areas?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,491,078 times
Vantage point is full of twentysomethings. You'd be literally the only family in that building.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,991,164 times
Maybe just stick to living in the suburbs within walking distance or a short drive to a trolley stop?

Downtown is fun but I wouldn't want to live there. I had a friend live in a high rise there in a really nice building but again, it wasn't for me (personal preference though).

Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,437,191 times
No doubt a very personal preference. I could never do it, and I know my kids would have been extremely unhappy in that type of setting.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:03 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,907,486 times
I'm an urban junkie and love going downtown frequently- love cities in general- and probably wouldn't want to live downtown and definitely would try to get my kids (I'm childless) into an area where they can hang with other kids. Downtown is pretty compact, fun, fairly clean and safe but still has a bit of scruffiness and an edge brought on by the large homeless population. I'd want my kids in a bit friendlier environment.

My partner's nieces and boyfriend live in that building (twenty something's) and they have us down there pretty frequently to grill on the awesome party/pool terrace. I've never seen someone younger than twenty and very few people older than 35 while there. It just isn't that kind of place.

As others have said it is not a chore at all to get in and appreciate downtown and there are plenty of family friendlier areas very close to it that are not boring blandless suburbs. I would expand my search a bit further to finding a good fit for my family

Old 05-19-2013, 10:18 AM

161 posts, read 387,675 times
I really appreciate all your responses, we havent signed a lease yet just been approved for one. Anyway... What areas not too far from downtown would you guys recommend?

We're still debating between continue to HS or do charter, public or private.
We're going to do some driving around today and try to see other parts.

Again thank you so much for all your help!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:21 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,694,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrwr View Post
So we have fallen in love and today actually approved for this high rise apartment in downtown (Vantage Point). We like the feel of the place and the location, downtown SD looks so alive and fun. but we do have 2 kids (12 & 9) and I'm afraid they will be the only kids on that 600+ apartment complex. Even though we have always lived in the suburbs (KY and FL) my kids are not used to running around the neighborhood not just because we are a tight family that actually truly enjoy our kids companies but we were always so busy with soccer and baseball and homework, etc. Anyway... My point is I don't think they'd miss the "playing outside" thing. But I'm not sure how I feel about living in a place where I'll never see another child. On another side I grew up in a high riser and never felt unhappy.
Anyway... Just wanted a little input about kid living downtown. We can't be the ONLY ones... Or can we??
You sound like someone who follows his/her heart. Do what you want as long as it is legal, moral and ethical and makes you and your family happy.

I'm sure you know that people do this everyday in Manhattan. They obviously can't let their children play outside on the streets. The "trick" seems to be to make what NYCers call "play dates." You and your preteens just arrange for them to get together with other kids their age to hang-out at someone's home; to be "chauffeured" to the beach, or to the movies by a parent; or whatever.

It's part of an urban lifestyle. Go for it.

Last edited by pacific2; 05-19-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego