Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:11 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,932,885 times

Advertisements

I still lived in California when this thread was created, though not San Diego area. Only lived there from September 2010 to September 2011.

Lived in Imperial Beach, because it was cheap for a bunch of 20 somethings, that surfed and were from Jersey. Traffic sometimes sucked getting to the city from there. Moved to the LA area (Redondo Beach) for two years after that because of a job offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 07:30 PM

34 posts, read 75,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
So, CaliforniaDreamin36, since you have revived this ancient thread from the deal pool, do tell: have you moved to California? If so, where, and how has it turned out for you?
Haha no, i haven't yet unfortunately. I made this thread when I was 18 with hopes and dreams lol I did almost get too take a trip out there but some things came up right before I could. but I currently live in Ohio and should have a job making around 50k on july, I plan too get a year of experience then get out there. I just remembered about this account the other day and signed on and bumped this post just too see how people felt about it now, which I'm sure is the same basically.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:27 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,669,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin36 View Post
Haha no, i haven't yet unfortunately. I made this thread when I was 18 with hopes and dreams lol I did almost get too take a trip out there but some things came up right before I could. but I currently live in Ohio and should have a job making around 50k on july, I plan too get a year of experience then get out there. I just remembered about this account the other day and signed on and bumped this post just too see how people felt about it now, which I'm sure is the same basically.
Thanks for the update, CaliforniaDreaming. Congratulations on the potential new job -- sounds like you are off to a good start in life. With your new job, you should be able to swing your long-dreamed for vacation out here sometime soon. See you then!

Old 05-08-2016, 09:06 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,562,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
climate / job market
What? You are way out of line bloom!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:22 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,272,503 times
Too many people

Old 05-13-2016, 09:45 AM

334 posts, read 364,364 times
like:
- awesome beaches
- weather
- housing cheaper than every other metro area in CA (e.g. LA,SF,SJ)
- variety of neighborhoods
- traffic is ok/light for major city
- proximity to awesome national & state parks

dislike:
- homeless problem
- lack of tech industry

Old 05-25-2016, 08:59 PM

850 posts, read 797,745 times
When posters mention people here in SD, how do they compare with people in LA.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:01 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,577,385 times
I liked San Diego a lot better 10 years ago when it was less crowded and less expensive. I still like the beaches and Mexican food. Dislike the rude drivers and LA style traffic on freeways most of the time.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:46 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,954,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
I liked San Diego a lot better 10 years ago when it was less crowded and less expensive. I still like the beaches and Mexican food. Dislike the rude drivers and LA style traffic on freeways most of the time.
i would think sir mixxalot would like something else

Old 05-26-2016, 09:27 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,816,432 times
Love/like:
- Pure Burger in Carlsbad. You must go if you've never been.
- Walking along the coast near sunset. The most beautiful sunset I've ever seen was in downtown Encinitas (second place was out in Anza-Borrego).
- Views on the coast, particularly in La Jolla or Del Mar
- Petco Park is one of America's best (relatively) new ballparks
- Taking a drive out the 8 or the 78 to the desert areas
- Proximity to Mexico. I made it to TJ, and would like to come back down and go to Tecate at some point.
- Imperial Beach is a hidden gem, and probably the last great "blue-collar" beach town in S.D. County
- The area's geared toward our men and women in uniform!

Quite dislike:
- Rude drivers...waaaaaaay ruder than L.A. or Bay Area drivers
- Surly customer service. I expect it in L.A. or San Francisco, or especially Chicago or the urban Northeast. But, San Diego?!
- Unimpressive food scene for a city of its size, stature and wealth. Even L.A. and the Bay have better Mexican food!
- The general "vibe" of the San Diego region--cliquish and defensive for being such a transplant city, and very superficial and shallow for being so "down to Earth" and "anti-L.A." Very unfriendly.
- It felt strangely "un-Californian" to me--not like L.A., O.C., Santa Barbara, S.F., Oakland, Sacramento, Fresno, Palm Springs, etc. This sensation is the most difficult for me to articulate, except to say that S.D. feels sort of like a Milwaukee on the Pacific.
- My landlord was the worst I've ever had. This, after the process of securing housing in S.D. was the worst of any place I've lived in the world.
- Depressed wages in the job market, especially compared to nearby O.C. and L.A. which also have a comparable cost of living
- Job interviewers seemingly made it a point to be rude, condescending, abrupt, and unprofessional. Experienced this much less often in L.A. and the Bay.
- Coronado is waaaaaay overrated.
- As a single guy, the women were quite beautiful, but as bland and pretentious on the inside as they were pretty on the outside. (They're still better than the "49er 'strong, independent'" super leftist women of the Bay Area, I'll grant that much. BTW, a "49er" is a woman who is a 4 but thinks she is a 9.)

Five months living there was enough for me. I made a couple of good friends, enjoyed trips out to Anza-Borrego, and was glad to have a passport so I could visit Tijuana. I get why S.D. appeals to soooooo many, but it wasn't for me.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 05-26-2016 at 10:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego