Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
VOSD just published this. Highlights the stronger sectors in SD and not too dissimilar to many great past posts regarding the meat and potatoes here.

http://voiceofsandiego.org/2013/06/2...-makes-a-mark/
Thanks for posting that link.

I'm really impressed with some of the research articles from VOSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Thanks for posting that link.

I'm really impressed with some of the research articles from VOSD.
I agree. VOSD is a great source for local issues. Since SD is constantly compared to the Bay Area in this forum, this article might be of interest to some.

The Problem With Emulating Silicon Valley | Voice of San Diego

Old 06-26-2013, 01:15 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Here's some interesting info In regards VC investments discussed here earlier. While SD ranks 6th on the list, the Bay Area blows everyone else out of the water.

America's Leading Metros for Venture Capital - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,155 times
Don't forget some local companies have also gone just across the border

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Nope. I'm not surprised. I've always said the job market here in San Diego is fairly mediocre to bad for many industries outside of cellular high tech (engineers) and some bio-tech industry jobs. You can see here why LA and SF are MUCH better for higher salaries.

[URL="http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2012/states/CA.html"]Fortune 500 2012: States: California Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com[/URL]

Remember it's not just Fortune 500 companies but all the ancillary companies that feed off of those Fortune 500 companies. So the bigger picture is I can't see San Diego ever becoming anything special in the job sector anytime soon.

Taxes are higher here in California for employers, land is more expensive to buy land and build factories/offices. In short, not too much incentive to base your company here. Makes more sense for most to go to places like Texas. Where they can get tax incentives, tax rebates, cheap/subsidized land to build their plants, no state income taxes, etc.

[url=http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2012/states/TX.html]Fortune 500 2012: States: Texas Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com[/url]

Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 PM

192 posts, read 251,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
And the biotech industry.... that could take 20 years to make a profit. So it's not really just a young thing.
I work for a biotech here and what I've noticed is we have a lot of start-ups. After talking to some of these entrepreneur-scientists, the goal is to be bought out by a larger biotech or pharm for millions. And they are achieving their goals. I recently met two PhDs that started biotechs here in SD which were bought by huge companies (like ThermoFisher) for millions. Then, they go and start another small biotech, banking on it happening again. I also get the sense that the biotech community here is pretty tight. Everyone knows everyone kind of culture. We have a competitor directly across the street from us and my boss went to lunch with his counterpart from the competitive company. We have gone and grabbed beers at GreenFlash with reps from the competition that we met at a biotech group. I guess this is common in other industries too. I thought it was interesting and different than what I was used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego