Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,162 times

Advertisements

On top of the sequestration cuts and our defense industry, this adds more salt to the wound locally.

A very close friend of mine will be one of the 730 which was very disappointing to hear.

Anyone else follow this or know anyone involved in this?

JPMorgan Chase to lay off 730 in San Diego Page 1 of 2 | UTSanDiego.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Mortgage industry is unstable at the best of times. Low barrier-to-entry business that booms and busts. I'm amazed there were that many jobs still in SD processing mortgages, I figured that stuff was all in Vegas or Phoenix by now.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Yeah Sass I hear you. My friend was telling me that they were talking about closing this office for the past 5 years so after a while he just kind of ignored it.

Apparently it was REOs and other business units in this building as well. But mostly processing of mortgages as I understand it.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 AM

31 posts, read 59,968 times
I used to work as a Career Counselor in the federally funded One Stop Career Center system, of which there are several locations per city/county throughout the country. I am sure Chase is offering outplacement services, but in addition I would encourage them to look into the free services available at the closest One Stop which includes, career/job search workshops, individual career counseling, and community referrals. They also have training funds/grants and additional services via the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) program. They need to apply at the One Stop and jump through some orientation, application hoops. Here are some resources:

1. Link to One Stop locations. See San Diego County: http://www.edd.ca.gov/Jobs_and_Training/pubs/osfile.pdf

2. Separate, but partnered with WIA is EDD which has some programs that may be of interest:

- California Training Benefits program allows those collecting unemployment insurance to continue to receive benefits while attending school, since they will be unable to look for work during this time: http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de8714u.pdf

- They may qualify for separate training funds (and greater dollar amount than WIA) if labor was outsourced. They can check with EDD to see if someone has already filed a claim. If not, they can start the claim. EDD can help them determine whether the circumstances qualify: http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de8714x.pdf

I hope this helps! I know how devastating it is, especially with a mass layoff. Best of luck to your friend and get in touch if I can be of further help.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:35 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Chase is busy fighting indictments.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/03/...nvestigations/

Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Mortgage industry is unstable at the best of times. Low barrier-to-entry business that booms and busts. I'm amazed there were that many jobs still in SD processing mortgages, I figured that stuff was all in Vegas or Phoenix by now.
Exactly. I'd say these people were fortunate to be doing this here in San Diego as long as they have been doing.

And like many jobs here in San Diego, this type of job once you lose it, these people will most likely need to move to another city to find another job.

Shmoov, is your friend planning on staying in San Diego?

Old 08-10-2013, 04:29 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
The One Stop Career Centers are a waste of time. I filled out the paperwork for the WIA (Workforce Investment Act) to try to get retrained into a different field other than clerical. My case manager wasn't interested in helping me because I had marketable skills. They will only help you if you have no marketable skills, but that's only if you get lucky and get a case manager that actually does their job.

The Chase employees that are being laid off will be joining the unemployment pool.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Exactly. I'd say these people were fortunate to be doing this here in San Diego as long as they have been doing.

And like many jobs here in San Diego, this type of job once you lose it, these people will most likely need to move to another city to find another job.

Shmoov, is your friend planning on staying in San Diego?
Take a wild guess.

Our conversation went along the lines of this:

Me: Man that really sucks. Sorry to hear that. So what are you going to do? Move? Obviously try and look around here.
Him: I live in the best place in the world, of course I am staying.
Me: So do you have any savings or emergency cash to tide you over?
Him: I have 50k equity in my house, its all my savings. Thats all we need to tide things over.
Me: Thats great, glad to hear the real estate upswing is favoring you so fruitfully. So you are saying you have no savings but your house is? Are you going to look for work at all? I mean there are at least a dozen other guys doing what you are and only so many jobs out there. Whats the plan?
Him: Are you hiring?

Let me put it this way. He will never leave EVER. This guy lives and breathes SD and will sell his kidneys to stay here rather than move for his family (has a wife and 6 month old). THis is all fine in some aspects but he is willing put all of this on the line.

I spoke with him a bit after and popped over his place Friday. The conversation about living here with his wife there became quite uncomfortable actually. She seems far more willing to go where the money is where he just cant give up the dream.

I really hope he lands something that is good for his career locally, but not sure if he will ever have his 'come to Jesus' moment that maybe its best for everyone including him to make that move should it come down to it.
BTW, this guy has a Harvard degree.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,939,150 times
Does Chase provide him a significant severance, extended benefits?
Does his wife work?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Does Chase provide him a significant severance, extended benefits?
Does his wife work?
He hasnt been told of any significant severance or extended bennies.

Yes the wife works but lets just say they got their mortgage based on both incomes. I cant viably see how long this can last for more than 3 months without him earning anything.

I am also not sure how banks are handing out HELOCs anymore or any lines of credit from equity. I am hoping they are....
Mind you they have only been in this house for less than two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego