Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 01:00 PM

401 posts, read 444,926 times

Advertisements

Thanks for getting back to us. The Zombie apocalypse is here! Be safe on the roads, though. I speak as a fellow ex-but-soon-to-be-again biker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 01:25 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhox99 View Post
Zombie resurrection. When I created this thread, I was largely ignorant about motorcycles in general, the San Diego commute, and local traffic. It was posted before I had moved here (I have been here almost a year now). I live in Kensington and commute up the 805 to Sorrento Valley. The first few months I commuted, evening rush hour just took it out of me. I got home and was exhausted from mind-numbing traffic particularly on Thursdays and Fridays for some reason (when it would take me upwards of 50 minutes, a stark contrast from Midwest traffic).

So I did it-I broke down and bought a CBR300r. Commuting on a motorcycle (and lanesplitting) has changed my life. I know that sounds dramatic for a savings of 20 minutes on my evening commute, but I arrive home with more energy these days. Although my initial question was more interested in money savings, sanity savings is the real winner here. Don't get me wrong. I spend about $40/month to fill up my tank which feels very nice compared to a premium-fuel gas guzzling v8 sports car. The monthly savings is notable. But I cannot relate enough how nice it is to not have to sit stopped on the 805. Even if I weren't saving money, the additional expense would be worth it.

Just wanted to share this for posterity. Thanks to everyone who helped me think this through before.
You sound like my son. He commutes from Rancho Bernardo down to Kerney Mesa. He's at work early, so going isn't to bad, but the commute home is hell. In his Jeep, it could be well over an 1hr to 1 1/2 hrs. On his bike 40 minutes.
Stay safe!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:39 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,269,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhox99 View Post
So I did it-I broke down and bought a CBR300r. Commuting on a motorcycle (and lanesplitting) has changed my life. I know that sounds dramatic for a savings of 20 minutes on my evening commute, but I arrive home with more energy these days.

Just wanted to share this for posterity. Thanks to everyone who helped me think this through before.
Awesome thread!

It does not sound dramatic to me since I also commute in heavy traffic on a motorcycle. People who don't commute in heavy CA traffic on a motorcycle will not understand the feeling we get when we are NOT sitting in traffic thanks to being able to split lanes in this state.

It elates my soul riding my motorcycle regardless of the traffic.

Be safe and always keep both tires on the ground.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:09 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,747,330 times
Update from my last post in this thread.

That Chinese Znen 150cc scooter I had was actually falling apart on the road. I would not recommend that make/model. Most motorcycle shops won't even touch it because of the low quality. It is still registered/insured and I think it will even start with some work, but I had to upgrade to a Honda CRF-250. It is a much better ride.

Haven't wrecked again, so staying safe. I still don't lane split.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,549,502 times
Honda and Kawasaki make some nice looking 250's and 300's these days days. They look like little super sport bikes these day. I remember my Kawa Ninja 250 back in the day, I bought it brand new in 07 and the thing looked like it was right out of 1988. 2 years later Kawasaki revamped the look....oh well, i had already upgraded by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Update from my last post in this thread.

Haven't wrecked again, so staying safe. I still don't lane split.
My 250 lost it's life on the 163/Friars Road exit at the hands of some lost OC woman who decided to slam on her brakes in front of me because she thought she was missing her exit...she was wrong, I rear ended her fell, bike is gone, but thank GOD I am still here harrasing all of you fine people on the internet. It sucks to wear it on hot days, but the moto gear can really save your hide.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:41 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,747,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Honda and Kawasaki make some nice looking 250's and 300's these days days. They look like little super sport bikes these day. I remember my Kawa Ninja 250 back in the day, I bought it brand new in 07 and the thing looked like it was right out of 1988. 2 years later Kawasaki revamped the look....oh well, i had already upgraded by then.
Yes, they do. Here it is.

BTW, replaced the off-road/dual sport tires with street tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
My 250 lost it's life on the 163/Friars Road exit at the hands of some lost OC woman who decided to slam on her brakes in front of me because she thought she was missing her exit...she was wrong, I rear ended her fell, bike is gone, but thank GOD I am still here harrasing all of you fine people on the internet. It sucks to wear it on hot days, but the moto gear can really save your hide.
Glad you are alright. Every week a new serious accident is reported involving a motorcycle, mostly not ending well with the cyclist.

I really hate it when people slam on their brakes in front of me, but recently I'm trying to convince/discipline myself to be able to react to them -- 2-wheel defensive driving I suppose. It will happen, so I try not to follow so close, but it is too tempting to do so on a bike.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:51 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,549,502 times
^^^ I was thinking it was like the Honda CBR 250.... with your bike, you don't need to split lanes, you can off road. hahahaha

It sure is a pretty moto.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,180,894 times
The resurrection of this thread was the (partial) inspiration for me to ride in today. I don't do that often enough. Definitely is a more fun way to start the day!

Mike

Old 04-30-2015, 08:41 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,340,804 times
I commuted everyday on a bike when I lived in East Bay in the San Francisco area. The weather in California is great, and lane sharing is an amazing perk. I still commute 75% of the time (January and February are out and then rain days are out too) living in the DC area, but no lane sharing and horrible immigrant drivers make it more of a challenge. I still prefer it over caging 100% of the time though.

Both my bikes are incredible commuters:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego