Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
1. EXTREMELY flaky people...transplants or locals, doesn't matter
2. Job market (proportionally low pay, relative lack of opportunity)
3. Everyone constantly saying that SD is the greatest place on earth - SD ain't bad but this gets old
I bolded the SD ain't bad part because this is true. There are worse places for sure. However, these three things you've said really ring home for me. I agree with every single one of them. For me, I'd add the weather in there. That's not SD's fault but between April and October, I just don't like it.

Someone mentioned the police in SD in an earlier post.
Quote:
Overzealous cops aggressively ticketing people and harassing people. Many cops have that sterotypical "corrupt SoCal city cop" attitude.
After moving to Chula Vista I have seen a HUGE difference in the police and the way they behave and conduct themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 07:05 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,305 times
1. Low rates of pay. I make much more doing the same job one state away than I did in SD.
2. Expensive housing and high rent for homes with cheap construction and no insulation.
3. Traffic, road layout. Mission Valley should be bombed to dust, then rebuilt correctly. And Rancho Bernardo and all those other neighborhoods up on the 15 might as well be on another planet. They ain't San Diego.
4. Shallow people with hedonistic agendas. This Midwesterner did not fit in after a decade living there.
5. Want to drive someplace for fun? You have two options: north and east. Living in a corner gets boring after a while.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:18 PM

57 posts, read 95,880 times
Surprised no one has mentioned any food that is good or bad in SD lol.. San Diego weather is nice. Only negative I found is how there isn't really a good sporting fan base whetherr san diego negatives can accept that or not but it's true. It's not a bad thing but hey when you have nice weather the whole year and can do soo many outdoor activities, can't blame them. Like someone else also said, there is no way san diego traffic is just as bad or worse than LA traffic!

Old 07-04-2011, 09:01 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,065 times
I agree with some of this stuff, disagree with other opinions. People have addressed some serious issues...but what about:
1) the inability of people to use a turn signal here. I think it is disconnected at the DMV when you transfer tags, or when you buy a new vehicle here.
2) Grown men riding skate boards-biologically mature men (25-30), some even starting to bald, riding a board. I have never seen that anywhere. I think bikes and human powered scooters are just terrific for eco transport, but skateboards over 21 kind of cracks me up.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I agree with some of this stuff, disagree with other opinions. People have addressed some serious issues...but what about:
1) the inability of people to use a turn signal here. I think it is disconnected at the DMV when you transfer tags, or when you buy a new vehicle here.
2) Grown men riding skate boards-biologically mature men (25-30), some even starting to bald, riding a board. I have never seen that anywhere. I think bikes and human powered scooters are just terrific for eco transport, but skateboards over 21 kind of cracks me up.
as for point number one; people do use their turn signals. Generally after they complete a move. I reason it's in celebration of a mission accomplished.

As for the second point; unfortunately, San Diego does not have a monopoly on grown men and skate boards. This happens at least in the Bay Area as well. Perhaps less often but it happens outside of SD too.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Grown men riding skate boards-biologically mature men (25-30), some even starting to bald, riding a board. I have never seen that anywhere. I think bikes and human powered scooters are just terrific for eco transport, but skateboards over 21 kind of cracks me up.
Guilty as charged, but when I go for a ride with my 3-year old son (he's completely mastered the Razor scooter), it turns a lot of heads.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:30 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,736,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Guilty as charged, but when I go for a ride with my 3-year old son (he's completely mastered the Razor scooter), it turns a lot of heads.
Just do your thing, Sassberto. I was tempted to check out the 70 year old English DJ at the Hard Rock a couple of weeks ago......fascinating.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,736,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
1. Low rates of pay. I make much more doing the same job one state away than I did in SD.
2. Expensive housing and high rent for homes with cheap construction and no insulation.
3. Traffic, road layout. Mission Valley should be bombed to dust, then rebuilt correctly. And Rancho Bernardo and all those other neighborhoods up on the 15 might as well be on another planet. They ain't San Diego.
4. Shallow people with hedonistic agendas. This Midwesterner did not fit in after a decade living there.
5. Want to drive someplace for fun? You have two options: north and east. Living in a corner gets boring after a while.
Really? Someone who lives in Phoenix complaining about San Diego's cheap construction and low pay? Among the largest cities, few places have lower average salaries than PHX. I'd be glad to provide some links to prove it if you'd like.

As a former resident of Arizona, what's fun west of Phoenix? Yuma? Gila Bend? Give me a break. And what's east of there? Tucson? Nogales? Lovely.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:18 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,411 times
Folks, look at it this way:

The NJ/Philadelphia area has these drawbacks:

1. Winter temps that can go as low as the single digits. Living in a walk-in freezer is NOT fun. 4 seasons isn't all that great, no matter how bored somebody may be with SD's climate.

2. Driving on ice and snow, losing control of the vehicle, crashing. It. Sucks.

3. Due to snow and ice, taking one hour to get someplace that normally takes 10-15 minutes.

4. Some posters spoke of uppity attitude/materialism. Oh really? Try living in some parts of the East coast if you want to deal with that.

5. Parts of I-95 in CT, past New Haven onward toward the Tappan Zee Bridge in NY can be parking lots. Not the end of the world, but thought I'd toss it in.

6. Lousy Mexican food, in general, 'round here.

7. For gardeners, very short growing season.

Last edited by katnip kid; 07-05-2011 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-05-2011, 05:08 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,114 times
My turn. I will list my 5 personal negatives and 5 positives since moving here from Durham, NC.

1. I did not know that the coastal water would be so cold -granted it was nice and cool this holiday weekend. I just thought that SD being the southern most part of the Pacific would lend to warmer waters...very nitpicky to think this would be the Caribbean of the West.
2. Many people are just not aware or oblivious to their surroundings-whether driving or in crowded places. People just don't know how to communicate or don't care to, that makes them unintentionally act stuck-up or rude? At least in other cities, you can gauge the public's aggressiveness or common courtesy.
3. I expected more technology and cuisine for such a big city- Again, nitpicky, but I expected more variety coming into a city of 2 million.
4. I understand that the cost of living is steep here, but I'm getting sick and tired of getting nickel and dimed with all these special assessments and fees, everywhere I go/do. I'm more used to have fees rolled into larger tax bills or grouped together in legislature. Here, there are unique names and titles that really are a pain to keep track of. My Manhattan friend laughed at me during a call meeting about this, but he lives in a sinking island with 20M others...
5. Loss/lack of a true middle class. I feel that there are more of those who look/act filthy rich and many more who are struggling with career/life out here, than other areas -Seattle, Austin, RTP, DC. In my professional opinion, I think there is a huge gap in stepwise career development opportunities, even in the pharma field.

Now the positives.

1. Weather & climate. SD will always be desirable, due to that reason alone. This lends to a lot of available outdoor activities. Not as strong of an outdoorsy network as say Seattle, but at least it doesn't rain here all the time. I overheard people complaining about the humidity this weekend, and almost spit out my drink laughing at them.
2. Guess this is a plus/minus, that SD does not have the big city vibe or metropolitan influence. It was very easy for my wife (Southern girl) and I to transition into living here.
3. <<Almost>> No frigging Mosquitoes!!!!! I am like a delicacy to those bloodsuckers, back east. I've replaced my can of bug spray for sunscreen
4. Relaxed clothing. I love business casual..and I hate ties. What started to identify rank and friend or foe in F2F combat, they have become stupid fashions, initially designed to hide buttons and exposed skin seen through shirt gaps. Increasing number of hospitals are banning them because get in the way touching everything you lean on/over and often not washed/washable. I think noose, every time I put one on.
5. Refer to #1. Something about the climate revitalizes me every time I step outside. I can now say that I have lived in SoCal and enjoyed it's lifestyle, where-ever life takes or throws at me. I haven't been in SD long enough, but don't think I'll lay roots here. It just costs too much to adequately save up for retirement while living a lifestyle my wife and I enjoy, but San Diego gives me access to cross out multiple items on my bucket list.

For all the positives and negatives, I'm happy and healthy in San Diego and that's what counts. It amplifies the advantages and minimizes the disadvantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego