Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 03:11 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Denver vs Bolts tomorrow Did I mention I'm from Colorado GO DONKS

OP:

The thing people will have to deal with here is the heat. You either have to be outside from about 10-4 in some type of shade or you will need about a 5000 kw gen set and fuel enough to run it. That time of year it might actually make sense to think about a campground with electricity or alternate source. Being in a camper or RV in August is an easy bake oven even in the Mts.

For the summer heat in Arizona I rigged up a tarp about 2' above my motorhome roof. Made it more comfortable for us. We have a generator for A/C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 PM

35 posts, read 78,282 times
Well shizzit, I just posted a long post, ctrl-Cd it, refreshed the page so I could post without it getting "lost, and when I hit Ctrl-V, NOTHING. *sniff*

I'm not gonna try to re-write it but I will try to re-cap:

Monday night: parked in a dark, remote location. Busted by cops. Learned what I already knew - park in WM lot (use earplugs). Cops love to shine their big lights into dark, remote (quiet and peaceful!) places. Cop nice, ran ID, asked if I had enough money and a cell phone in case I needed help, said have a nice night. Except it was 5am and I couldn't get back to sleep. Oh well, coulda been worse.

Went home Tuesday and have been stuck here ever since. Had to get an oil change, had to take a dog to the vet, had to do this that and everything else..... hopefully will resume "experiment" tomorrow.

otterprods: I was thinking a small bike would be nice when I was in the backcountry, to do some exploring that the granny car might not approve of.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
[/b]

For the summer heat in Arizona I rigged up a tarp about 2' above my motorhome roof. Made it more comfortable for us. We have a generator for A/C.
Good idea if you have something to tie off to.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peasantgirl View Post
Went home Tuesday and have been stuck here ever since. Had to get an oil change, had to take a dog to the vet, had to do this that and everything else..... hopefully will resume "experiment" tomorrow.

otterprods: I was thinking a small bike would be nice when I was in the backcountry, to do some exploring that the granny car might not approve of.
Wait a minute… you have a HOME within easy driving distance of SD? I'm confused… I thought you drove cross country to be out there and work on an extended basis. But you have a home to can to and fro… oh wait, you were just experimenting in your current area, I remember now. Oh, ok, I forgot… So how good of an idea is that part seeming like about now? I think the run-in with the PD would be a pretty regular thing, and often would not go as well, especially as they realized they were finding the same person over and over again in different places.

You really need to get some kind of little self contained camper unit, or it could be a small trailer if you prefer, and have a way to travel detached… either in a trailer-less vehicle or on a motorbike that can piggyback to the 'camper'. The latter would me my preference, but there are pros and cons to both which will make your circumstances dictate which is better for you. Either way, you'll need to spend some money on a new setup and then learn where and how to boondock close enough to wherever you have to be for work, even if that only means a reliable internet connection. IRV2 forums are full of people who've done that successfully and can give you a lot of solid advice. I really don't see any other way to make it work long term, other than a boat or an small apartment which you've already ruled out for various reasons.

If it were me, which it won't be (those days or over for now, at least for a long, long time), I would buy a box truck and convert it into an RV with enough space for a 125 cc or larger motorcycle just inside the rear door. I'd have a loading ramp to get it in and out that way, as long as the bike is not too heavy for me to handle safely. I would not put a side door or windows on it unless I could do it very discreetly, like at the front of an overhead attic, tinted to match the color of the truck. And then I would park that thing in the city, on suburban side-streets, shopping centers, BLM land, rest areas, and just about anywhere else I wanted without ever being bothered as long as I don't stay for weeks or park someplace where the presence of a cargo-hauling box truck would raise a red flag, like on the Mexican border. I'd be essentially set for good that way, and have little to keep me up at night no matter where I parked. I could probably manage to equip it with its own satellite internet connection and a little work area if I needed to. …But...

We're Talking probably 20k at least for a rig like that, maybe more like 50-60 or more if you buy a newer truck and make it really nice inside. And it will take a lot of time to build it and set it up properly. So… assuming you don't have that kind of time or money on hand right now, that leaves you with three other realisitc choices… (1) Stay where you're at and save until you can put something like that together, or move to SD and either (2) find a cheap little camper/trailer and an affordable mobile home space for it, or (3) a little studio apartment or a room to rent within your budget.

There is actually a third choice: which is go to SD and sleep in your car for as long as it works for you, which in my experience will be about a week, tops. But you may be hardier, more determined, or enjoy being a homeless person more than I did. Even if it only lasts a week, that's fine too if that works for you, but it seems foolish to go out there with some sort of commitment to being there for most of a year or more and nothing but your car to live in.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM

316 posts, read 665,804 times
With all due respect otterprods, she's been suggested those options several times already, and has come up with excuses to not do it any of those ways.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
It's a cult following now

Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt518 View Post
With all due respect otterprods, she's been suggested those options several times already, and has come up with excuses to not do it any of those ways.
yes, I know, I suggested them myself. I'm just continuing the dialog for fun because:
a) it's interesting
b) the OP has not been hostile or argumentative
and
c) bits are cheap

Old 12-12-2013, 01:58 PM

35 posts, read 78,282 times
Thanks Matt518, I was starting to wonder if otterprods had gotten a knock on the head lately, LOL

1AngryTaxPayer: I oughtta start charging per post

otterprods: And I thought *I* was easily amused.....

Old 12-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasantgirl View Post
Thanks Matt518, I was starting to wonder if otterprods had gotten a knock on the head lately, LOL. 1AngryTaxPayer: I oughtta start charging per post otterprods: And I thought *I* was easily amused.....
You really should win the $500, IMO. It'll really get interesting if/when you actually head out to SD, unless of course you actually change your mind and do it the 'sensible' way.. Keep us posted.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
A related link ... urban guerilla living is everywhere!

The Bushwick Trailer Park Lives On! (Sort Of)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego