Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 03:36 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monorojo13 View Post
I am looking at a job there, what is the area like for a family with a small kids, 9/5/3. Is there much to do, how is crime? the usual stuff? I'm look towards living in Imperial I think.
If you like doing stuff outdoors it's a pretty decent environment. For a couple months a year it's brutally hot and you'll be confined to indoors with AC. But then it's all relevant if you live where it is desert like already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monorojo13 View Post
I am looking at a job there, what is the area like for a family with a small kids, 9/5/3. Is there much to do, how is crime? the usual stuff? I'm look towards living in Imperial I think.
I looked at the api index scores for local schools. Brawley and El Centro seem to have the best schools for kids. They just built a new high school in El Centro.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:13 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
After reading this thread, I had some free time today, so we went over the hill and into El Centro and Calexico.

We went to the IVM which was an ok mall. Not sure about any deep discounts though. Perhaps on the clearance racks? I thought most national chains whether department stores or mall stores have a set standard for pricing anyway on retail items.

It seemed more like a nice place for the local area than bargain hunting some of the outlet malls on the way to Palm Springs. Its not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation.

We then went to Calexico to the new outlet mall down there. That was nice, but some parts of it were still getting finished. The food court is still not completed and some stores were not in, but looks really promising.
We did find some deals at Wilson Leather and Old Navy. "Better" deals than Las Americas? That is debatable as we went to Old Navy, Banana etc and they seemed to have the same type of sales if can call them that (eg. 2 v neck shirts for $12 etc.)

Since we were last in the area (2010), there definitely seemed to be housing and shopping built. I think some of the development is great out there, but besides the agriculture and military, perhaps its alternative energy production that is driving jobs.
We saw WAY more wind turbines than the last time we were there. So unless there are PV plants or other industries driving that alt energy stuff, curious what is lifting the economy.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:31 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
blue meth ?

Old 02-12-2014, 01:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
I wouldn't say there has been any boom or growth spurt since 2010. The outlets just opened in November in Calexico and as you saw, they literally back up to the border and were built for Mexicali. The IV benefits from this in the tex revenue.

There really hasn't been any new housing built in the valley since 2010, most of what you see is from the boom years, probably 10 years old by now.

At Heber Rd and the 111 on the way to Calexico from the 8 Freeway there is a new club/strip mal/gas station complex....as the community of Heber is trying to incorporate and needed comercial projects...which is why this was built. The owners are from China (literally, in China) and own all the businesses in it...they seem to be filler, just generic place's like Dave's Mart, Discount Store, etc. No brands.

Around the IVM, a new Kohl's opened, but that was supposed to be part of a larger shopping complex to include a Lowe's, Stein Mart and Wal Mart...who all backed out in the bust.

We got a new Olive Garden and Panda Express lol but other than that, it has been the same old same old for the past 5 years or so. I guess when large developers own out parcels they occasionaly convince new places to come in...but there hasn't really been any new projects and what you saw as new had been on the planning books for a long time...

Old 02-12-2014, 01:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
With sales tax (IVA) in Mexico in the border region now being equal to that of the rest of the county as of 2014, I would imagine this is only going to benefit stores in Calexico even more.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:12 PM

60 posts, read 60,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
No they have not always had an outlet mall. Gran Plaza Outlets just opened:

Mi Calexico

I believe El Centro saw a loss of population where as Calexico saw an increase in population from the last census.
Both cities are growing very very slowly but El Centro hasn't seen any population loss.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:28 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyy17__ View Post
Both cities are growing very very slowly but El Centro hasn't seen any population loss.
No one's posted here in 5 years. That being said, IV kind of sucks unless you're in agriculture I guess. It's crime ridden, smells bad, is hot desert. The only advantage of the place is proximity to San Diego and it's not all that easy of a drive.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
No one's posted here in 5 years. That being said, IV kind of sucks unless you're in agriculture I guess. It's crime ridden, smells bad, is hot desert. The only advantage of the place is proximity to San Diego and it's not all that easy of a drive.
Imperial Valley is literally not even that bad, the cities have really moved on from the effects of the recession and have started constructing lots of homes in Brawley and Imperial, Imperial was also named the safest city in california in 2017-2018 and is in the top 5 for 2019. Its also constantly been considered the one of the fastest growing city in CA.
Anyways, the cities are really making an effort to clean up and beautify. We really aren't in the middle of nowhere , we do border Mexicali, a city of over 1 million aka the capital of the mexican state of Baja California. We also grow all your winter vegetables. We also have the Glamis Sand Dunes, off roading, hunting, trails, museums, and night sky designed areas for sky watching. So. Its not as bad as you make it seem.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I wouldn't say there has been any boom or growth spurt since 2010. The outlets just opened in November in Calexico and as you saw, they literally back up to the border and were built for Mexicali. The IV benefits from this in the tex revenue.

There really hasn't been any new housing built in the valley since 2010, most of what you see is from the boom years, probably 10 years old by now.

At Heber Rd and the 111 on the way to Calexico from the 8 Freeway there is a new club/strip mal/gas station complex....as the community of Heber is trying to incorporate and needed comercial projects...which is why this was built. The owners are from China (literally, in China) and own all the businesses in it...they seem to be filler, just generic place's like Dave's Mart, Discount Store, etc. No brands.

Around the IVM, a new Kohl's opened, but that was supposed to be part of a larger shopping complex to include a Lowe's, Stein Mart and Wal Mart...who all backed out in the bust.

We got a new Olive Garden and Panda Express lol but other than that, it has been the same old same old for the past 5 years or so. I guess when large developers own out parcels they occasionaly convince new places to come in...but there hasn't really been any new projects and what you saw as new had been on the planning books for a long time...
Come 2019, now there are new homes, businesses, lots of medical buildings too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego