Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 12:52 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,571,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
That too... In the summer time I get nostalgic for those balmy summer nights in the Midwest...oh and thunderstorms...miss those a lot!
I moved out here in July of 2005 and within the first week of being here, there were some spectacular thunderstorms in San Diego. I was living in Crown Point at the time and it was a scene - - seemed to go on for a whole hour, amazing flashes and booms.

I thought little of it. And then the next day on the Today show, they were talking about the San Diego thunderstorms. I was puzzled by it . . . I mean, it was summer, so of course there were thunderstorms!

I'm not getting to nine years of living here and I've experienced more thunder and lightening in that one night than in the eight plus years of living here since combined!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 01:22 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,349,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I first came to SD from Nashville. The first place I lived was in Clairemont. It was my first experience of not needing/having an air conditioner. Obviously coming from a place that's largely hot and humid from May-September it was definitely not something I was used to. I mean I know the summers are mild in most parts of SD, and the temperatures didn't throw me off...just the basic things like not needing AC or always having a door or window open for a breeze.

One other thing that threw me off a little was when people found out I was from Tennessee, people largely referred to it/that area as the Midwest, not the South. To us here, we're in the South and our perception of the Midwest is Michigan/Indiana/Illinois/Iowa etc. It seemed that people on the West Coast didn't have that same 'mental map'.

I haaaaate storms. I'm looking out of the window at work and I almost get anxiety just seeing some of these dark storm clouds right now. But with that said...I did find myself really missing warm humid nights in the South. I love the weather in SD but still....did miss that.
Haha...so true. I think my future career may be lobbying to bring geography back to the classroom in ca...then teaching it lol!

Old 04-07-2014, 02:37 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,349,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
This was an interesting post. It's so interesting how nostalgia plays at the heart strings. For me, the idea of thunderstorms in the summer doesn't do it. Instead, I imagine looking for shellfish on a beach in San Diego County (and only finding broken shellfish pieces), wiggling my toes in the sand, etc. Balmy nights are not nostalgic for me and I hated that it did not cool down in DC when it had been so darn hot during the day! I was used to evening air conditioning, CA style! What one person sees as nostalgic is relative to his or her experiences I guess. I had visions of carne asada burritos dancing in my head, that was my nostalgic image in my head about SD. Mexican food was gross in DC.

The only Mid Western thing I could see people getting nostalgic for in summer is fire flies! But then again, what do I know? But in any case, I would hate to see you leave Carlsbad or SD for that matter. Save save save while doing well in your career.
Thanks!

The positives certainly outweigh the negatives. Every time I visit home, I'm ready to come back here.

I do miss the storms, but not the mind numbingly long winter. It killed my spirit, but especially after college when friends were mostly focused on thier own primary relationships. I could go long stretches withough seeing anyone but the people I worked with. I figured, what is the point? Why stay if I never see my friends anyway?

It's my home and will always be important to me. If I don't get married and settled down here there is a chance I could go back, but I would think it out long and hard!!!

There is still so much I want to see and explore here, not just in SD but the west coast, and its also much closer to the interior west.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:21 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,687,921 times
Quote:
I'm scratching my head and trying to think...I am curious where you lived that there were no sidewalks. I cannot off the top of my head think of places without sidewalks in SD county outside of rural areas.
Okay, this is a while back, so maybe sidewalks have magically appeared since then...but it was mainly walking from La Jolla to LJ Shores, and further up to UCSD, up the hill, but also in parts of PB, on streets going up to Soledad, if I remember correctly. Not very rural.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 AM

284 posts, read 1,017,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyner View Post
What are a few things that surprised you when you moved to San Diego or surrounding suburb, from out of state?

I'm going to leave it open-ended in hopes for a variety of responses.
I had never visited San Diego before moving here, so I was surprised by how mountainous it really was. Another thing that surprised me was the four seasons you can visit in the mountains. You always think of surf and sand when you picture San Diego, but we actually get snow in the county and it's just a short drive away.

Another thing that surprised me was how much the temperature can change within 10-20 miles. It can be cool and overcast by the coast and be sunny and over 90 degrees inland. I recommend anyone just moving here to hold off buying a house is possible and move around a bit. Each area has something unique to offer and it's best to get to know the city and figure out what you like and what you're willing to pay for.

Last, but not least (and some may beg to differ), I was surprised by how friendly everyone is. It was one of the first things I noticed about moving here, and I am from the Midwest. People strike me as being in a pretty good mood and willing to make small talk with strangers, which was really nice.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:07 AM

284 posts, read 1,017,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
First thing I noticed was how chilly it felt in the evenings (moved here in November 2004)

Never quite lived anywhere where the temps dropped so quickly as soon as the sun went down.
This is one that surprised me too...but oh how I love it!! No matter how hot it gets during the day, it always cools down significantly at night. I do NOT miss those hot Midwestern nights, tossing and turning in bed, feeling all sticky and sweaty in the summer. I do not miss the humidity in general, though I do appreciate a good rain every so often, as they are quite rare!

Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
I first moved to Poway from AZ. We moved in February or March. I wrote my MIL about the beautiful rolling green hills around Poway. I flew back to AZ in early June for a family funeral and then drove back in a week or so with my MIL who was coming for her first visit. The hills were brown. My MIL said "Where are those green hills you wrote me about?" I replied "They were green when I left. They turned brown while I was back in AZ." That was my surprise, how quickly the green turns brown as the weather warms up and the fact that the green did turn brown which I was not expecting. Surprise!
Now, it normally does turn brown in the summer time but this year was especially bad due to the worst drought in 150 years.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:12 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,855,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Now, it normally does turn brown in the summer time but this year was especially bad due to the worst drought in 150 years.

The grass also turns yellow/brown here in Ohio in late summer also,so I'm used to that,but just how "chilly" are the summer evenings there?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,014 times
It will usually get down into the 50's during the spring and autumn, maybe low 60's in the summer, while in winter maybe into the 40's with the odd night near freezing. Mostly even in winter it is rare to have a nightly low below 40 and during the day it usually heats back up with the yearly average day time temperature being ~72.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:14 PM

50,387 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
I'm scratching my head and trying to think...I am curious where you lived that there were no sidewalks. I cannot off the top of my head think of places without sidewalks in SD county outside of rural areas.
A lot of older neighborhoods have that. PB, Clairemont, etc. It's like they either didn't finish the sidewalks or tore them up. One guy I talked to said at one time the street was the alley and the City changed it so they never put in more concrete for the homes being built. Other times the street narrows and there just isn't room on the property lines and you have to walk in the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego