Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 AM

50,532 posts, read 47,308,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
I'm not a fan. The dry winds wreaks havoc with my allergies, and I moved AWAY from places with hot summers for a reason. My family and my realtors laughed at me for insisting on a house with central A/C. No one is laughing now.

But, on the bright side, the water in my pool is in the 80's, so that's a plus. I'm hoping it will approach 90 by the weekend. I do get tired of having chilly water in the pool (and that's with a solar heater). And having a few weeks of hot weather just makes us all appreciate the great weather we usually have.

And it's a good reminder for me to have a fire plan, too, just in case. I have a friend who lost a house in one of the Colorado fires a couple of years ago, and when they told her to pack up and get out, she was in such a panic that all she packed were clothes, and she left all her keepsakes and pictures behind. She said she wished she hadn't packed any clothes because they are replaceable, but all her photos and sentimental items were not. So, I'm going to take some time this week and make a list of things to pack, so we don't panic and forget something important.
This is very important here. We have some suit cases right next to cat carriers in the garage and I keep a good supply of tools and rations in our vehicles at all times. When the time came we had pictures,etc along with the cats loaded up in less than 5 min.
On a side note it's better to evac towards the bay if you know anyone with a boat. 1 million people trying to head E or N is going to be ugly. REALLY ugly. As in you better have 4 x 4 or it could be bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 AM

5,319 posts, read 9,001,632 times
Quote:
And it's a good reminder for me to have a fire plan, too, just in case. I have a friend who lost a house in one of the Colorado fires a couple of years ago, and when they told her to pack up and get out, she was in such a panic that all she packed were clothes, and she left all her keepsakes and pictures behind. She said she wished she hadn't packed any clothes because they are replaceable, but all her photos and sentimental items were not. So, I'm going to take some time this week and make a list of things to pack, so we don't panic and forget something important.
In addition to a fire plan, another good idea is to scan all of your paper photos onto your computer. I did that myself with all of my old photos, so if I ever lost my paper copies, I still have them in digital form. I also recommend doing the same thing with important documents, such as diplomas, birth certificates, marriage license, etc. And with computer storage being what it is today, you can backup all photos and documents onto a tiny USB thumb drive, so you wouldn't even have to worry if you lost your computer.

Also consider taking pictures of all of your sentimental items, so if you ever lost them, you'd at least have a photo to remember them by.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,917,981 times
Speaking of Fires, not sure where, but walking outside a few minutes ago, it smells like there is a bad fire someplace in North County.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:14 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,764,791 times
11pm and it's still 80 degrees at the airport. At least it's been a dry heat, right? Relief is on the way.....

Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,868,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
Yeah, I'll grant you the dryness, but I still don't care for it. My thermo says 93. It's 6 p.m. Go away.
OMG, I thought it didn't get hotter than the 80s in SD!!!!! How hot does it get in July and August?
Oregon is starting to sound much better.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:20 AM

191 posts, read 455,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
In addition to a fire plan, another good idea is to scan all of your paper photos onto your computer. I did that myself with all of my old photos, so if I ever lost my paper copies, I still have them in digital form. I also recommend doing the same thing with important documents, such as diplomas, birth certificates, marriage license, etc. And with computer storage being what it is today, you can backup all photos and documents onto a tiny USB thumb drive, so you wouldn't even have to worry if you lost your computer.

Also consider taking pictures of all of your sentimental items, so if you ever lost them, you'd at least have a photo to remember them by.
That is a great idea. We did that a few years ago, and then sent a copy to a relative. She sent me a copy of hers as well, that way if something happened to either of our homes, we had a back up out of state. But I still find my wedding albums and framed pics to be sentimental.

My father passed away recently, and he left me a few things, like his riding boots, the tie he wore to my wedding, stuff like that. If there is a fire, I want to make sure that in a panic I don't forget those items.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 AM

675 posts, read 647,765 times
I'm heat sensitive, as some with my disability, spina bifida are. Luckily my AC is working, almost too well. I love it. San Diego is a nice area, but I'm more into Seattle weather.

I live in Hillcrest, btw. Hot, just like everywhere else, but away from the fire.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:45 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,087,573 times
Normal weather for California. It is the 60's to now that had the weird weather.

The West without Water: What Past Floods, Droughts, and Other Climatic Clues Tell Us about Tomorrow: B. Lynn Ingram, Frances Malamud-Roam: 9780520268555: Amazon.com: Books

Great book. Must reading if you live anywhere in the west.

Here is a brief synopsis of the problem.

Yosemite Association - Nature Notes - Great Drought 1

Great Flood of 1862 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 AM

815 posts, read 2,704,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I'm heat sensitive, as some with my disability, spina bifida are. Luckily my AC is working, almost too well. I love it. San Diego is a nice area, but I'm more into Seattle weather.

I live in Hillcrest, btw. Hot, just like everywhere else, but away from the fire.
This weather pattern is unusual and affecting the entire state as even San Francisco was 90 degrees yesterday. We should be around 70 for this time of year near the coast with morning overcast and afternoon sun. It's going to be a very long, hot summer I'm thinking

Old 05-14-2014, 09:22 AM

7,400 posts, read 12,725,789 times
Quote:

Yep, lists are good to have. On the 2014 Fire Season thread I mentioned that we have two lists, a short one for a quick evacuation (15 minute warning), and a longer one if we have more than an hour's warning. Both lists have items listed according to their location so we can (theoretically) go through each room and pick things up that are essential to us--one-of-a-kind things, keepsakes, medication, etc. (A very good idea is to not leave the lists out in the open, as a shopping list for burglars/looters, though!)

One of our family stories is about the distant relatives on the farm in Northern Europe about 100 years ago; lightening struck the thatched roof of the farm house and set the house on fire. The wife rushed in and gathered all their fine china in her apron, and carried it out to the cobble-stoned courtyard where she emptied her apron and dumped it all, and every single piece broke! But at least it didn't burn! I've heard of people grabbing and saving things from their refrigerator. We do weird things when we're in a panic, and it always pays to keep a cool head if possible. I've heard the advice to calmly go over an emergency scenario in your mind before it happens, just to be familiar with the thought, awful as it may be, and think of a sensible response. It may prevent panic from taking over if and when something bad does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego