Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 9,592 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 19 (almost 20 yo) student. I have $5,000 saved so far and I'm planning on making the move from the small town of Destin, FL to San Diego, CA in about 6 months. I know I will have one roommate from my hometown coming with me, and I may have a second. I was looking for advice from people who know the area and good give me an idea of what neighborhood matches my criteria.
*Sorry for the horrible grammar in the title of this thread*

All I really care about is that I live in a safe area, where I live there is virtually no crime. I'm also looking to live close to the beach but I can do without being right by it since I grew up on the beaches here in FL. I really enjoy the laid back, coastal, beachy vibe but also near downtown. I want an area with a decent cost of living with a lot of young adults and sophisticated nightlife. I was leaning towards Pacific Beach and thought it was my perfect place until I read some things like "everyone there is drugged out, burnt out, immature college kids and adults who never grow up". While I am young and like to party I am also looking for a place that is a little bit more sophisticated, or classy, where the people are goal oriented. I don't want to be surrounded by people who do nothing with their lives. I will be doing college online until I can get in-state tuition in Cali and I want to be somewhere that motivates me and doesn't deter me from my goals.

Also if you would like recommend another city or area of Cali let me know. I only chose San Diego based off of research I've never actually been there.

Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 11:20 AM

169 posts, read 859,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lneolle View Post
Hi, I'm a 19 (almost 20 yo) student. I have $5,000 saved so far and I'm planning on making the move from the small town of Destin, FL to San Diego, CA in about 6 months. I know I will have one roommate from my hometown coming with me, and I may have a second. I was looking for advice from people who know the area and good give me an idea of what neighborhood matches my criteria.
*Sorry for the horrible grammar in the title of this thread*

All I really care about is that I live in a safe area, where I live there is virtually no crime. I'm also looking to live close to the beach but I can do without being right by it since I grew up on the beaches here in FL. I really enjoy the laid back, coastal, beachy vibe but also near downtown. I want an area with a decent cost of living with a lot of young adults and sophisticated nightlife. I was leaning towards Pacific Beach and thought it was my perfect place until I read some things like "everyone there is drugged out, burnt out, immature college kids and adults who never grow up". While I am young and like to party I am also looking for a place that is a little bit more sophisticated, or classy, where the people are goal oriented. I don't want to be surrounded by people who do nothing with their lives. I will be doing college online until I can get in-state tuition in Cali and I want to be somewhere that motivates me and doesn't deter me from my goals.

Also if you would like recommend another city or area of Cali let me know. I only chose San Diego based off of research I've never actually been there.

Thank you in advance for your help!
What do you plan on doing to make ends meet? What school do you plan on enrolling in?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsandiegobornandraised View Post
What do you plan on doing to make ends meet? What school do you plan on enrolling in?
I haven't looked into school since it would be over 2 years before I would be going to school there. I would be waiting tables. I have a job at a corporate restaurant here and they said I would be able to transfer over to one in San Diego.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:44 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
You started a post about this already. Just keep in mind that you may not be making $1200 in tips every two weeks here. What's your rental budget?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You started a post about this already. Just keep in mind that you may not be making $1200 in tips every two weeks here. What's your rental budget?
What are you talking about? I wanted to know if I could survive on waiting tables... I never asked anything about which neighborhoods would suit me. My budget would be $2,000 for a 2br 2b between 2 people...

Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I haven't looked into school since it would be over 2 years before I would be going to school there. I would be waiting tables. I have a job at a corporate restaurant here and they said I would be able to transfer over to one in San Diego.
Ok, do you know where the restaurant is located you may be working? Do you have a car? Cuz this is big when it comes to finding somewhere that's affordable and commutable for you.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsandiegobornandraised View Post
Ok, do you know where the restaurant is located you may be working? Do you have a car? Cuz this is big when it comes to finding somewhere that's affordable and commutable for you.
It would possibly be Fleming's Steakhouse in La Jolla but that is just because I was looking in the Pacific Beach area. There are several other restaurants to choose from based on where I wanted to move. Thats what I'm trying to figure out... Yes I have a car with no car payment!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
In your other thread, you stated that you have about $6000 saved. That won't last you long here. By the time you find an apartment, pay the deposit, first month's rent, have your internet/cable installed, and transfer your car to California, it'll pretty much be gone.

What's your backup plan?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
In your other thread, you stated that you have about $6000 saved. That won't last you long here. By the time you find an apartment, pay the deposit, first month's rent, have your internet/cable installed, and transfer your car to California, it'll pretty much be gone.

What's your backup plan?
I have 5-6000 now and I dont plan on moving for another 6 months. Thats 10,000 by the time I actually move. Jeez, is it really that hard to get an answer on this forum? Lol I asked for opinion on neighborhoods based on what I was looking for not asking if you think I have enough money to move there.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I have 5-6000 now and I dont plan on moving for another 6 months. Thats 10,000 by the time I actually move. Jeez, is it really that hard to get an answer on this forum? Lol I asked for opinion on neighborhoods based on what I was looking for not asking if you think I have enough money to move there.
Take it from folks who know this place. San Diego, like most of coastal Southern California is the place where dreams are broken. People come here for the scenery and have no clue the grind you gotta have to make it here. There's so many tangibles that involve making it here, especially if you plan on doing it being a waitress(no offense, just speaking on the wages you'll be making relative to the high COL). Even with $10,000 in the bank that could all get sucked up in the blink of an eye if you don't plan correctly.

Anyway if you're gonna be possibly working in La Jolla, some areas like Linda Vista and some parts of Clairemont, or Kearney Mesa you might be able to find a reasonably priced place that's not too far from the beach areas and work. Linda Vista might be a lil sketchy so keep that in mind, however it will be your cheapest option up that way.

One thing I will definitely say, is to definitely make sure you have or can find a roommate. Cuz imma tell you right now, if not, you're gonna be priced out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: