Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 AM

813 posts, read 1,272,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubntx View Post
I haven't officially accepted a position yet, and yes...my spouse's job would be more of a flexible schedule. That said, I appreciate those who took time to give a thoughtful, informative response. This will help us make a decision about what to do and where to consider living. As transplants to the area, we are obviously not as familiar with commute times and this information has been helpful.
We are new to the area as well. I can assure you that the traffic situation here is a concern to someone trying to commute between LA and San Diego. During rush hour, my husband's 2 mile commute can take up to a half hour.

Sounds like you have a lot of exciting things to consider! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Is this a real post?

I assure you, it was a real post. I haven't officially accepted a position yet, and yes...my spouse's job would be more of a flexible schedule. That said, I appreciate those who took time to give a thoughtful, informative response. This will help us make a decision about what to do and where to consider living. As transplants to the area, we are obviously not as familiar with commute times and this information has been helpful.

For those that chose to be snarky, I'm sorry you felt it was necessary. I guess working in higher education has helped me understand that each person's question has value, even when others don't necessarily think so. For that I'm thankful, and thankful for those who understand the same.

Peace.
yes, the responses are kind of disappointing, sorry about that. I think people are just trying to express their own frustrations with traffic but you know this is not crazy and I doubt its as rare as people are alluding to.

If your husbands job is not quite as regular as yours that should be in your favor (in my opinion but that's a marriage thing!!) at least its not like he'd be commuting to la at 7am every day as that would really wear a person down.

Someone who commutes daily could answer this better but I think San Clemente is a contender for you because between Oceanside and San Clemente is entirely Marine/Navy base...therefore you are not picking up a ton of new traffic for that stretch which is why I think it could help put him a little closer to LA, which not affecting you too terribly and San Clemente is a great town, I wanted to move there originally but ended up in Carlsbad.

Now, I have gotten stuck on Sundays between Oceanside and San Clemente and it really is not fun, there are not a lot of exits to get off and take a break or turn around if traffic is bad so that is a negative, I'm not sure what its like on the average rush hour day so my suggestion could be pointless in that case.

But if that's any indication then lots of people are commuting to OC from San Diego county.

Another possibility though----- San Clemente has the Amtrak station -- which goes to both SD and LA...that could be a feasible commuting option for you (and of course its in Oceanside and Carlsbad too where you also have the Coaster)

Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
The Metrolink train from Oceanside to downtown LA (not that close to Hollywood) is 2 hours.

Amtrak is only a commuting option for those who don't need to be there early. If so, Laguna Niguel is the only Metrolink station that's southerly that allows uber early riders on. Years ago I took the 447 am from Oceanside to downtown LA. Please spare yourself the hurt, it's just over 2 hours... to downtown.

Laguna Niguel allows you to leave at 4:05 AM and actually hold a morning meeting.

Carlsbad doesn't have a Metrolink station and thus few trains, not a viable option for most people.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 06-11-2014 at 09:53 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
We actually have a neighbor who makes the commute from Fallbrook into LA about 3-4 times a week! He works as a consultant for the Military shows. Leaves the house at around 3:30-4am..I hear him pass the house on his motorcycle and comes home around 3ish. Doesn't do it everyday, but, that has got to get old quick! He's been doing this for 2 yrs now...will do so until he retires from the Marines. So, it is doable and is done! Just not fun!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 19,024 times
Thank you for all the great info on these latest posts. This is very helpful. We're still working out the details as I said, and all of this information is very helpful. We make several business trips a year to the LA area for my husband's career, and have visited San Diego and OC some (so we are not as familiar with those areas). Our preference is, of course, to both have work closer to LA...but this opportunity has presented itself to me at UCSD so I needed to at least explore the possibilities, and if it could be done reasonably. I'm still not so sure it will work at all, but your input does give us MUCH food for thought. I will check into San Clemente. We haven't looked at that city yet, but I'll definitely look into it as a possible option.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 19,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
yes, the responses are kind of disappointing, sorry about that. I think people are just trying to express their own frustrations with traffic but you know this is not crazy and I doubt its as rare as people are alluding to.

If your husbands job is not quite as regular as yours that should be in your favor (in my opinion but that's a marriage thing!!) at least its not like he'd be commuting to la at 7am every day as that would really wear a person down.

Someone who commutes daily could answer this better but I think San Clemente is a contender for you because between Oceanside and San Clemente is entirely Marine/Navy base...therefore you are not picking up a ton of new traffic for that stretch which is why I think it could help put him a little closer to LA, which not affecting you too terribly and San Clemente is a great town, I wanted to move there originally but ended up in Carlsbad.

Now, I have gotten stuck on Sundays between Oceanside and San Clemente and it really is not fun, there are not a lot of exits to get off and take a break or turn around if traffic is bad so that is a negative, I'm not sure what its like on the average rush hour day so my suggestion could be pointless in that case.

But if that's any indication then lots of people are commuting to OC from San Diego county.

Another possibility though----- San Clemente has the Amtrak station -- which goes to both SD and LA...that could be a feasible commuting option for you (and of course its in Oceanside and Carlsbad too where you also have the Coaster)

Thank you for the thorough info...We'll take a look at San Clemente.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the thorough info...We'll take a look at San Clemente.
here is some info on the Amtrak schedule for the Surfliner http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/287/706/...e-040714,0.pdf

LuvOC is right that there is not an early morning Amtrak from San Clemente to San Diego, but if you just drove to Oceanside your commuting options would go way up, which is not a bad commute at all. But if your hours are flexibile on certain days the Amtrak is a great option...there is internet on the train (although its not the greatest) and nice views...much more relaxing than driving. The Amtrak from San Clemente goes to LA and Burbank as well, and other transfer options for other commuter trains on the way.

public transportation is not yet what it should be in SoCal but lots of people do commute via the Coaster trains and some even use busses here in Carlsbad from the commuter trains to the offices around here.

That said, San Clemente to La Jolla would not be a horrible commute, except for whatever traffic you run into. Which can certainly change things but if your hours are somewhat flexbile (i.e starting at 9:30 vs. 8am or earlier than 8) that changes things a lot too.

I work form home but sometimes have to commute to SD from Carlsbad, there is for sure a bottleneck from Carlsbad through Encinitas it seems every day and at all hours of the day...but once past Encinitas it seems to break up and go very very fast. I am not sure what the roads are like between Carlsbad and San Clemente during rush hours....I'd be taking the train options every chance I get.

Once of the reasons I initially liked San Clemente is that (well, for one I just really like the town I first discovered it riding on the Amtrak actually -- its a nice small town with an awesome beach and pier -- very surfer centric but lots of LA transplants attracted to it and the vibrant small town with unique shops ...also lots of regular OC type housing areas up in the hills if you like that but the town itself is very quaint, charming and if you like the beach ...awesome) anyway where was I -- its nice because while its small its not too far off the grid. I have clients in SD and Ventura so it was a nice central place where I am not too close to any of them I'd have to work in their office, I can get to them and Amtrak goes directly to both places. And traffic in OC is usually not that bad in that they have a lot of lanes on the interstate...it does get back but in my experience its worse in SD county.

I would not pass up an opportunity myself at UCSD.

Lots of academics face these kinds of problems and its actually pretty lucky you'd be able to be that close to your husband and not on an opposite coast! I know many that don't get that lucky to be in the same region without one of them making a big sacrifice.

The more flexible your schedules the easier it will be but its certainly not impossible. Traffic wouldn't be so bad in the first place if people weren't commuting far.

In fact when I worked in Ventura I knew so many people who actually rented a place to stay there during the week then went back to their homes on the weekend in places like SD or the Inland Empire. In CA many people who own homes end up working in another part of CA at some point as that is what they need to do to keep working.

If I were you though, I'd stay close to an Amtrak or Coaster station as that will improve your options tenfold and you won't have to be the motorcycle leaving at 3am everyday waking up your neighbors

unless you like that of course!

Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post

Rg, by chance were you stuck two Sundays ago when a car flipped by the rest area? It was madness; people standing on their cars, dogs being walked, grungy OB lookin' guy on a skateboard (!), people socializing, people urinating, everything stopped dead.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Rg, by chance were you stuck two Sundays ago when a car flipped by the rest area? It was madness; people standing on their cars, dogs being walked, grungy OB lookin' guy on a skateboard (!), people socializing, people urinating, everything stopped dead.
ha! no thank goodness!!!!! I would have gone crazy I was actually just returning from a cross country road trip that Sunday, I would have gone mental I'm sure after driving across all of America to sit in my rental car for that stretch, I wasn't too keen on coming home in the first place after vacation!

Sometimes I head up to Saddleback on Sundays in the evening. Sometimes its been a very bad idea lol especially the part where I give myself 45 minutes to get there

that's the thing with that stretch of road -- its great except when there is a problem there really is no alternative. Though I do have a CAC card I guess I've never tried entering the Marine base and finding a north/south that way! should look into that one lol...

I think the border check station slows things down too (or ag station or whatever it is)

Old 06-11-2014, 11:28 AM

Re driving times, my neighbor drives from Laguna Niguel daily to his Burbank office. To get there in 90 or less, he is ON THE road at exactly 5 AM. Since its about 40 to 45 miles, doable especially if leave very early (4:20?, which might shave 30 minutes or more off the commute) and have breakfast.

I'm so glad I don't commute much less to LA. LA traffic is incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego