Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 PM

5 posts, read 11,746 times

Advertisements

I recently posted a topic asking for opinions about San Carlos because I had made an offer on a home there. Unfortunately, due to the lack of quality by the contractors flipping the house, we backed out of the deal.

Now, we have an offer in on a home in Allied Gardens, off of Princess View Drive and Mission Gorge.

I'm looking for validation that this is a nice, family neighborhood with good schools and that this property would likely follow the rest of San Diego in appreciation. And I'm more concerned about the perception of this area to other residents of San Diego.

So, what do you think about Allied Gardens? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 05:24 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
Almost the same as San Carlos except for slightly more pockets of young people.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
That area of Allied Gardens is very good, much better than closer to I-8. However, the perception to other residents is a good question, because hardly anyone in SD actually knows the area. One of the best kept secrets of San Diego! It depends on whether you're buying to resell later. The NE part of Allied Gds is called Navajo, and shares the Del Cerro zip code. That's what makes it confusing. If that's where you're looking, the zip code alone will give you a boost in terms of appreciation.

If you're looking east of Princess View, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Nice lots, some canyon views. If you're west of PV, you can also find some really nice homes, but there are also smaller homes and smaller lots. I'd say it would depend on the home, the view, and the price.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 11,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
That area of Allied Gardens is very good, much better than closer to I-8. However, the perception to other residents is a good question, because hardly anyone in SD actually knows the area. One of the best kept secrets of San Diego! It depends on whether you're buying to resell later. The NE part of Allied Gds is called Navajo, and shares the Del Cerro zip code. That's what makes it confusing. If that's where you're looking, the zip code alone will give you a boost in terms of appreciation.

If you're looking east of Princess View, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. Nice lots, some canyon views. If you're west of PV, you can also find some really nice homes, but there are also smaller homes and smaller lots. I'd say it would depend on the home, the view, and the price.
Clark,

Thank you for the great info. This home is in the 92120 zip, which I believe does include Del Cerro. The home is just west of PV but is on a cul de sac and has a beautiful, panoramic canyon view with the mountains of Mission Trails park viewable from the side of the backyard. That, and the high quality of upgrades and care the house appears to be in, is what made this property attractive to my fiancé and I.

According to GreatSchools.org, Foster Elementary doesn't rate very well which concerns me. Does anyone have any insight on that school?

Thanks again!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloguy View Post
Clark,
According to GreatSchools.org, Foster Elementary doesn't rate very well which concerns me. Does anyone have any insight on that school?

Thanks again!
Kids Being bus In mixed with the principal being, unapproachable to change, is what I've been told. My Daughter went to Lewis Jr high (right down the street) and that was often the Parents complaint as to why they didn't send their kids foster.
Most of the Kids that went to Lewis with my daughter came From either Hearst Elementary, Green Elementary or Benchley Weinberger over in San Carlos.
Like I mentioned, not that much difference between San Carlos and Allied Gardens, both are Sleepy bedroom community's.
You will not Go wrong buying a house in either community

Old 07-21-2014, 04:23 PM

42 posts, read 57,214 times
hi buffaloguy. I chimed in on your san carlos post, so I figured I'd chime in here, too.

I like allied gardens. the central location, the easy access to parks and stores, the fact that grantville (next door neighborhood) is coming up, the diversity of the people.

the only thing I would caution you about is that I've noticed that allied gardens home prices have gone way up in the past few years. almost bubble-like. don't stretch yourself too far no matter how much you want a house. the house that's right for you (and the right price for you) will come.

I live in the area, so if you want to pm me, feel free. I keep an eye on the houses that come up, etc. best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego