Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:41 PM

42 posts, read 66,531 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to San Diego in a month. I don't have to be in SD, but having lived elsewhere in CA, I think it would be preferable. However, I want and need to work. I hear some people on here writing that jobs are scarce in SD unless one is in Hi Tech. And I'm not in tech. I'm very computer literate, but don't write code etc. I'm a mature female with money saved. I'm semi-retired and have a small business that gives me very modest income. I will need more income, but I don't need a huge income. I've got a masters in psych, am bi-lingual (Spanish-speaking, native English speaker), and I have people, sales, as well as office skills. I was once a licensed professional in the healthcare field, still in good standing, but prefer a different field. I'm tired of healthcare for so many reasons. So I'm not expecting to get a high paying, mid-level management position or anything. I am fit, and present a good appearance. I'll try to bike to work if I can.

Couldn't I reasonably expect to find employment in SD within a few months? A desk job, a hotel clerk job, something?

Also, I've been vacillating between LA and San Diego. Is the SD job market that much more dismal than L.A. as some have said on these forums? How about SoCal?

I am coming from St Louis, a much much smaller, very tight market. Even the simplest jobs here are obtained through knowing someone. There aren't many jobs period. A comparison of job openings through temp agencies, and on Craigslist, between San Diego and St Louis yields what appears to be exponentially more opportunity in San Diego.

Thank you for your help and your thoughts in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,144,467 times
The Immigration/Border could use your skills esp bilingual for the border. It's not healthcare it's more like translating with your Psych background. It's not an easy job but it may have p/t positions. Not sure how to get application started perhaps others here can help.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:09 AM

15,131 posts, read 32,382,573 times
If you speak Spanish, you may be able to find a minimum wage or just above minimum wage job. But keep in mind that employers want "young," bilingual college graduates, not mature people. This is what I ran into when I was laid off from San Diego Unified School District / Welcome, and they were hiring the kids of the bilingual employees without testing them, they just GAVE them jobs because they spoke Spanish, but everyone had to be tested.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:51 PM

4,545 posts, read 12,425,571 times
Many of the businesses associated with import/export could use someone with bilingual skills. Whether it's manufactured maquiladora goods, or food imports, if your bilingual skills are truly good, say learned from Spanish speaking relatives, not simply learned in a class, you could make hay with that in the international transport field. In that field, you would earn more than minimum wage.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:17 AM

9,826 posts, read 11,584,165 times
Are you asking for advice or an Application

Old 10-01-2014, 04:05 PM

42 posts, read 66,531 times
Thanks for those ideas!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 AM

124 posts, read 174,362 times
Terrible job market. I work in marketing, laid off 3 times in 3 years (and I have a decade of experience, a BA/Masters from an Ivy league). Worked in NYC for many years and was never laid off once so I canNOT wait to move. SD is extremely unstable in terms of making a good living. There are many many reasons I don't like SD but this is the main one.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,518,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
Terrible job market. I work in marketing, laid off 3 times in 3 years (and I have a decade of experience, a BA/Masters from an Ivy league). Worked in NYC for many years and was never laid off once so I canNOT wait to move. SD is extremely unstable in terms of making a good living. There are many many reasons I don't like SD but this is the main one.
IMO the big (maybe only) downside to SD is the weak job market. LA job market isn't very good either but it's a much larger city, so many more jobs. I would not move here without securing something first.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,585,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonics View Post
Ouch. Sorry for your bad luck

Old 10-02-2014, 02:58 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,433,199 times
Yeah, after having lived in the Bay Area and Seattle areas over the last year and a half, SD's job market is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego