Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 16,394 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I will be relocating to San Diego from LA because I recently got a job in La Jolla. I would prefer NOT to live in La Jolla or UTC. I am a single 28-year-old female and would like to live in area that is safe, relatively quiet, and where I can meet other working professionals. I'd also like to be able to walk to restaurants, coffee shops, bars, grocery stores, etc. I'm definitely over the crazy party scene (ie Gaslamp or PB) but would still like to have some places to go out to in close proximity. It isn't that important to me to be right next to the beach. My absolute max for places to rent is $2300 for a 2 bedroom, $1900 for a 1 bedroom.

Based on my criteria, a lot of people have suggested Little Italy, Banker's Hill, Northpark, Southpark, Normal Heights, Kensington. Some people have also recommended North County (Solana Beach or Encinitas), but I don't think I'd live up there because I wouldn't know anyone and all my friends live down in SD.

Finally, I have an exceptionally low tolerance for traffic for someone that has lived in southern CA for her entire life. My MAX commute one way is 30 min. My hours will be 8 am to 5 pm, 4-5 days a week. I've been looking at traffic on Sigalert on both the 5 and 805, and it does not look great.

Any suggestions based on my criteria and traffic? Would appreciate any responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 03:41 PM

87 posts, read 131,739 times
I live downtown and commute to La Jolla using I-5, takes me around 45 minutes up and down during peak hour traffic.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:03 PM

79 posts, read 150,869 times
I would suggest Little Italy or in the surrounding area. The commute to La Jolla could really be a pain from downtown during rush hour and vice versa. I would say with no traffic it is around a 20 min drive door to door. It also really depends on where in La Jolla we are talking about as well. That could mean the difference between an extra 5 min once you get off the freeway or an extra 20 min added to your commute.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the replies! I would be working right next to the Westfield UTC shopping center.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:27 PM

87 posts, read 131,739 times
You want to be near the I-5 if you want to live downtown, so bankers hill or little italy may be good. I commute to around the exact same area from little italy/bankers hill and worst times as above is 45 minutes.

Last edited by Ms_Intrepid; 11-10-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 10:28 PM

38 posts, read 56,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandalfive View Post
Hi everyone! I will be relocating to San Diego from LA because I recently got a job in La Jolla. I would prefer NOT to live in La Jolla or UTC. I am a single 28-year-old female and would like to live in area that is safe, relatively quiet, and where I can meet other working professionals. I'd also like to be able to walk to restaurants, coffee shops, bars, grocery stores, etc. I'm definitely over the crazy party scene (ie Gaslamp or PB) but would still like to have some places to go out to in close proximity. It isn't that important to me to be right next to the beach. My absolute max for places to rent is $2300 for a 2 bedroom, $1900 for a 1 bedroom.

Based on my criteria, a lot of people have suggested Little Italy, Banker's Hill, Northpark, Southpark, Normal Heights, Kensington. Some people have also recommended North County (Solana Beach or Encinitas), but I don't think I'd live up there because I wouldn't know anyone and all my friends live down in SD.

Finally, I have an exceptionally low tolerance for traffic for someone that has lived in southern CA for her entire life. My MAX commute one way is 30 min. My hours will be 8 am to 5 pm, 4-5 days a week. I've been looking at traffic on Sigalert on both the 5 and 805, and it does not look great.

Any suggestions based on my criteria and traffic? Would appreciate any responses.
You've already received excellent feedback! I would suggest selecting a few home options and visiting them all. A San Diego trip will give you a better feel for the area.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Another option:

Try a condo in the northern portions of Bay Park off Morena Blvd, super close to La Jolla and decent. Close to the freeway, PB for shopping, Costco is down the road and safe.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:35 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
having worked in UTC area (right where you will be working), the traffic on La Jolla Village Drive to either the 5 or 805 is pretty bad, bumper to bumper. There is a difference between working in La Jolla and working in UTC area, which is very heavy business center. It will take you at least 45-60 minutes. I would at least check out the areas of Del Mar (Carmel Valley), Cardiff and Encinitas, which are great beach areas and more upscale, lots of restaurants, etc. for people who are in their late 20's and early 30's. Traffic going north will be heavy too but probably not as bad as getting into downtown. I'd suggest getting to work around 7:30 am if you have flexibility and it isn't as bad.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,412 times
My ex lives in the UTC area and I hate going over there to drop off my kids. There are days where there is no traffic, but every single damn light is red and it takes forever to get from beyond the UTC mall to the freeway on Genesse or La Jolla villiage drive.

Now I have to go over to UTC to the ice arena often enough and it's a pain just driving through that area and a 10 minute drive from Del Mar might take 30+ minutes on some days. And the UTC mall and that area gets very very crowded certain times of the week.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:22 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies! Is there a specific time that traffic starts to get really bad? Like if I leave from downtown at 7:00 AM would I be able to beat the traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego