Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 02:12 PM

10 posts, read 13,578 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Florida for 18 years, 4 of which was in Ft Lauderdale, one year in Flagstaff, Arizona, and the last seven years near Akron Ohio (Canton).

I've made a list of various reasons to move to San Diego versus back to Ft Lauderdale, the latter which is all too familiar and the former with a list of many positive reasons to consider moving to San Diego instead.

BUT

I'm stuck with the question of how much air quality should be a concern when picking a new place to live (specifically San Diego). Is this irrational to consider when choosing a new place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:53 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Air quality here is a mixed bag. Because of the dry, dusty landscape and near-constant heat and sunshine there is a lot of very fine particulate matter in the air all the time. It coats everything. I am pretty sensitive to it so I have a sneezing fit pretty much every day. It's worst in the Aug / Sept timeframe or during Santa Ana wind conditions and generally better near the beach where the onshore flow keeps the air circulating. It is not a heavy smog area like Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Air quality in most cities is a mixed bag, very much localized.

I live in a city that has decent air quality. But my specific address is in a heavy industrial area...the air quality is probably worse that 90% of the other parts of the city.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:33 PM

42 posts, read 66,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Air quality here is a mixed bag. Because of the dry, dusty landscape and near-constant heat and sunshine there is a lot of very fine particulate matter in the air all the time. It coats everything. I am pretty sensitive to it so I have a sneezing fit pretty much every day. It's worst in the Aug / Sept timeframe or during Santa Ana wind conditions and generally better near the beach where the onshore flow keeps the air circulating. It is not a heavy smog area like Los Angeles, Phoenix, etc.
What Sassberto said. I would add that it's also better than San Jose and Orange County. I have no allergies, so I just notice toxicity which makes my lungs and nose/mouth burn. When I have stayed near the airport, I have noticed the pollution from the plane exhaust, though it was mild and easily countered by running at the beach away from the airport, which I do almost daily.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:14 AM

79 posts, read 150,924 times
I've never considered air quality to be bad in San Diego or have some sort of noticeable effect on my life.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:12 AM

401 posts, read 444,692 times
It's definitely noticeable at times. I live downtown, and even within just centre city alone it varies not only depending on how close to the waterfront you are, but also how high you are living (vertically).

Needless to say, given my direct proximity to the 5, this summer I had to literally sweep the smog off my patio in a dustpan.

Still, I'm sure our air quality is head and shoulders above certain cities like *cough* L.A. *cough*. Unless you live by the ocean of course.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:45 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
I remember in the 70s when the air quality was so bad that we'd have "smog days" where we literally weren't allowed to go out for recess. Since then it's improved 1,000%. I'm very athletic, and being outside and doing a ton of cardio-type activity has never lent itself to any sort of problems as an adult.

That said, our ozone levels here (as a city) are considered high, while particulate pollution tends to be very low. You can google "ai pollution cities" or something similar to get numbers, charts, and facts about the subject

Old 11-18-2014, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 5,319 times
If you don't mind dust (I assume you don't, since you survived Flagstaff), it's pretty good. Not even close to LA's quality.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,185 times
Air quality in SD isn't so bad. Only during dry seasons do the "Santa Ana" winds come by, and then it's just really dry, windy, and maybe dust in the air. The sky is pretty clear and is definitly liveable. At least it's not L.A. where the pollution makes the sky with an artificial orange tinge...southern SD near downtown and the border has pretty bad air though, while North County is clean.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:35 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
Most areas of San Diego county have good air quality. However, if you go inland, like Alpine, it gets worse. The air quality standards in CA are very stringent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego