Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 09:12 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagefile View Post
i pretty much grew up in SD. i moved to the philly area about 10 yrs back and paid more rent than i was paying here. everyone over there kept on about how expensive SD is and stuff, but that was not my observation.

now i'm back, and it's still not my observation. sure, there are more expensive places to rent/buy. but you can't compare a place on the beach with a place that's an hour from the closest beach (philly area). even then, talking same-same regarding the area and stuff it was pretty similar.

i agree with those who speak of quality of life and stuff - i will gladly pay a few more $$ to not have to shovel snow, crash my car by driving on ice, etc. plus i save on parking tickets here (a lot of places out there give you tickets for ANYTHING), not having to drive on toll roads, etc. in other words, you gotta look at the big picture

sure, it will be hard to find a pie-in-the-sky place out here. but there's a reason we live here to begin with. in all, i would have to say it's a great value.
Not sure where you were living, but Philly is far cheaper than SD. I am not a big fan of Philly at all, but besides a few areas, it was and is pretty easy to find places that cost about $1200 per month or less. It is very hard to find that in decent areas in SD.

And the beach part, I don't get. Nobody moves or lives in Philly because they love the beach. And 9 months out of the year it's a pointless argument anyway as it's too damn cold. People don't move or live in Philly because they can go to the beach. I don't even know why people move to Philly in all honesty, but hey, there are some reasons I guess. There is UPenn and Wharton and Temple and Villanova , so that could be it.

And do you actually go to the beach in SD? If so, it makes sense, but I've noticed many people brag about SD and the beaches and yet don't even go to the beach once a month. Bragging about SD Beaches when you go less than 12 times a year is kind of pointless. Not saying this is you, but in general, there are many people in SD who use that line. Or many others who use the Surf in the morning and ski/snowboard in the afternoon line and yet they don't do either. It becomes a pointless argument unless that is a part of your life. And for many people in SD, it's just a BS line that means nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:32 PM

62 posts, read 834,786 times
i lived in south philly, then manayunk, then roxborough, then i moved into the suburbs. and the less expensive places...i wouldn't compare to here.

and the part about the beach is that people there would talk about how expensive it is here...which tends to get more true the closer you are to the beach. but again, they're comparing a place that's an hour and a half drive to the beach to a place that's substantially less. and talk of the beach (or the shore, for philly) was common. people would go to the shore and the boardwalks in NJ, MD, etc

but as far as my experience - i moved from an (at the time) $575 1 br apt in la mesa to a studio that cost more in manayunk. that, combined with local taxes, etc...i would say it wasn't far cheaper at all. and of course the whole time i was there i would shop around for different things and note the differences. i have said it before and it's worth repeating - you gotta look at the big picture

Old 05-20-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
i lived in south philly, then manayunk, then roxborough, then i moved into the suburbs. and the less expensive places...i wouldn't compare to here.

and the part about the beach is that people there would talk about how expensive it is here...which tends to get more true the closer you are to the beach. but again, they're comparing a place that's an hour and a half drive to the beach to a place that's substantially less. and talk of the beach (or the shore, for philly) was common. people would go to the shore and the boardwalks in NJ, MD, etc

but as far as my experience - i moved from an (at the time) $575 1 br apt in la mesa to a studio that cost more in manayunk. that, combined with local taxes, etc...i would say it wasn't far cheaper at all. and of course the whole time i was there i would shop around for different things and note the differences. i have said it before and it's worth repeating - you gotta look at the big picture
Nobody is finding a $575 apartment in SD anymore though, so that argument doesn't even work. Yeah anywhere in the world would seem more expensive if you paid $500 a month, but i guarantee you 99.9 percent of people aren't paying $500 a month in SD or most other places in the US. That is not big picture, that's just a BS argument.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:12 PM

62 posts, read 834,786 times
since i was there for 10 yrs and immediately compared it back then and all along until now, i don't see how it can be a BS argument

of course rents go up. and that was included in the argument, reasoning, etc. now the apt goes for $815. right now a 1 br in manayunk (cursory glance) is $924. i dunno how much my same old apt is going for, as i rented it from a party off of craigslist

again, whoever wants can disagree. i'm just saying what my experience was

Old 05-20-2015, 11:37 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,933,303 times
Quote:
i pretty much grew up in SD. i moved to the philly area about 10 yrs back and paid more rent than i was paying here. everyone over there kept on about how expensive SD is and stuff, but that was not my observation.

now i'm back, and it's still not my observation. sure, there are more expensive places to rent/buy. but you can't compare a place on the beach with a place that's an hour from the closest beach (philly area). even then, talking same-same regarding the area and stuff it was pretty similar.

i agree with those who speak of quality of life and stuff - i will gladly pay a few more $$ to not have to shovel snow, crash my car by driving on ice, etc. plus i save on parking tickets here (a lot of places out there give you tickets for ANYTHING), not having to drive on toll roads, etc. in other words, you gotta look at the big picture

sure, it will be hard to find a pie-in-the-sky place out here. but there's a reason we live here to begin with. in all, i would have to say it's a great value.
file this under garbage

Old 05-21-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
since i was there for 10 yrs and immediately compared it back then and all along until now, i don't see how it can be a BS argument

of course rents go up. and that was included in the argument, reasoning, etc. now the apt goes for $815. right now a 1 br in manayunk (cursory glance) is $924. i dunno how much my same old apt is going for, as i rented it from a party off of craigslist

again, whoever wants can disagree. i'm just saying what my experience was
It's not an argument, it's just not real.

I am from the east coast and have family in Philly. Manayunk and Roxborough are known as mostly upper middle class areas, hell Roxborough has some pretty damn wealthy people as well. What did you move to go to St. Joes University? Again, not really a valid argument then. And Manayunk is pretty much party central with bars, restaurants, etc. And while Manayunk has been gentrified over the past 20 years, it still was known as a more expensive place to go party and drink compared to other parts of Philly. Rich college kids who just turned 21 partied in Manayunk when I lived in Germantown in the late 90s.

And South Philly, what did you live on South Street or something? South Philly has some of the cheapest and worst parts of Philly. You could buy a rowhome for like $30K in parts of South Philly. So this thought that South Philly is more expensive than SD is just a flat out lie. Yeah if you moved into one of the touristy and most expensive buildings around, but mostly, South Philly is cheap.

Somehow you're trying to make a point that you moved from La Mesa to Philly, but ignore the part you somehow spent more money in South Philly than you did in SD. Either you were ripped off or you didn't look very hard. I could find a place in South Philly for like $250 a month back in 2000, so this theory that is cost more than any place in SD is just a flat out lie. But hey, you can make up what you want to tell people who never lived in Philly I guess or don't know that you lived in some of the more expensive areas or somehow lived in one of the poorest areas and spent a ton of money.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:24 AM

Bigger picture here seems to be somebody moved to South Philly and got ripped off.
Nobody in their right mind would spend more money to live in South Philly over anywhere in San Diego. And you wouldn't need to either. You just got ripped off or aren't telling the truth.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:25 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
In the burbs of Philly, there are some fairly wealthy areas. By and large, so much of the city, however, is not desirable. And anyway, costs should be looked it in averages.

Off topic, but one thing I have to say is that for some bizarre reason, Philly and surrounds has some of the nicest (and most down to earth) people I've ever met in my life.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:27 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Off topic, but one thing I have to say is that for some bizarre reason, Philly and surrounds has some of the nicest (and most down to earth) people I've ever met in my life.
In my experience it's only one person but it's impossible for me to disagree with you more.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:50 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
i lived in south philly, then manayunk, then roxborough, then i moved into the suburbs. And the less expensive places...i wouldn't compare to here.

And the part about the beach is that people there would talk about how expensive it is here...which tends to get more true the closer you are to the beach. But again, they're comparing a place that's an hour and a half drive to the beach to a place that's substantially less. And talk of the beach (or the shore, for philly) was common. People would go to the shore and the boardwalks in nj, md, etc

but as far as my experience - i moved from an (at the time) $575 1 br apt in la mesa to a studio that cost more in manayunk. That, combined with local taxes, etc...i would say it wasn't far cheaper at all. And of course the whole time i was there i would shop around for different things and note the differences. I have said it before and it's worth repeating - you gotta look at the big picture
:d
Quote:
now, this is a story all about how
my life got flipped-turned upside down
and i'd like to take a minute
just sit right there
i'll tell you how i became the prince of a town called bel air

in west philadelphia born and raised
on the playground was where i spent most of my days
chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
and all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
when a couple of guys who were up to no good
started making trouble in my neighborhood
i got in one little fight and my mom got scared
she said 'you're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel air'

i begged and pleaded with her day after day
but she packed my suit case and sent me on my way
she gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket.
I put my walkman on and said, 'i might as well kick it'.

First class, yo this is bad
drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass.
Is this what the people of bel-air living like?
Hmmmmm this might be alright.

But wait i hear they're prissy, bourgeois, all that
is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
I don't think so
i'll see when i get there
i hope they're prepared for the prince of bel-air

well, the plane landed and when i came out
there was a dude who looked like a cop standing there with my name out
i ain't trying to get arrested yet
i just got here
i sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared

i whistled for a cab and when it came near
the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
if anything i could say that this cab was rare
but i thought 'nah, forget it' - 'yo, holmes to bel air'

i pulled up to the house about 7 or 8
and i yelled to the cabbie 'yo holmes smell ya later'
i looked at my kingdom
i was finally there
to sit on my throne as the prince of bel air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego