Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2015, 03:57 PM

461 posts, read 667,057 times

Advertisements

I've got a coupla tenants I'm giving the boot. The cases should be going to court in a few weeks. My property manager will appear in court and said I don't have to show up. However, I would like to go to become familiar with the process. Has anyone sat through an eviction hearing? I feel I have a good case because the tenants stopped paying rent and the non-payment is not because of habitually issues they are just deadbeats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 04:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
The judge you get can impact you greatly in an UD action. The judges are mostly sane in San Diego, but increasingly, any excuse by a "poor" tenant (who is unable to pay a big, bad, mean and "rich" landlord for any dumb reason) can cost dearly in lost rent when you hit a crazy judge and get delayed in gaining possession of your property (which of course they also don't clean and leave trash in).

In sum, don't own in crap areas in San Diego. Getting rent is nearly impossible and only getting harder unless it's a premium area. The quality of tenants in SD has dropped to a new, low level per conversations/observations with others. Many people are drifters and have sporadic income.

The only exception are the military folks who do pay.

Old 05-10-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The judge you get can impact you greatly in an UD action. The judges are mostly sane in San Diego, but increasingly, any excuse by a "poor" tenant (who is unable to pay a big, bad, mean and "rich" landlord for any dumb reason) can cost dearly in lost rent when you hit a crazy judge and get delayed in gaining possession of your property (which of course they also don't clean and leave trash in).

In sum, don't own in crap areas in San Diego. Getting rent is nearly impossible and only getting harder unless it's a premium area. The quality of tenants in SD has dropped to a new, low level per conversations/observations with others. Many people are drifters and have sporadic income.

The only exception are the military folks who do pay.
The tenant's answer to the complaint and there were many, but the highlights are bad plumbing, no heat and mold. I sent a plumber who did find a problem with his apartment and the next door apartment. The bathroom tub had been plugged up for quite some time and he didn't report it to the property manager. The HVAC guy verified that the heat is working, plumbing problem will be fixed by tomorrow and a bleach scrubbing took care of the mold. I do have a mold company coming tomorrow to remediate just in case.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the update. Folks often assert no remediation on the part of the landlords when they never reported it to begin with. Some advocates tell them the landlord has to keep the place habitable etc. but that presupposes that they report it (and do not instead fail to do so because, say, there are 4 other persons living on the premises).

Old 05-10-2015, 07:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
A friend of mine found a way around all the hassle. Owns a Motel and rents daily and/or weekly to many who stay for months and even years. BUT if no pay, no problem evicting them. Great idea for many who live pay check to paycheck and need minimal space. Free water, electric, phone (local) and internet. Makes a good living renting the rooms.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:52 PM

Oh man that sounds like a winning business.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Some advocates tell them the landlord has to keep the place habitable etc. but that presupposes that they report it (and do not instead fail to do so because, say, there are 4 other persons living on the premises).
Yep, that's what I'm dealing with ... this particular tenant has let drains clog up and mildew to run rampant without making a maintenance request to me or the property management company. However in his answer to the eviction complaint he is claiming all kinds of crap with the help of a legal aid attorney.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
You might want to post on the Renting Forum, lots of current/past landlords there who can give you advice

Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
A friend of mine found a way around all the hassle. Owns a Motel and rents daily and/or weekly to many who stay for months and even years. BUT if no pay, no problem evicting them. Great idea for many who live pay check to paycheck and need minimal space. Free water, electric, phone (local) and internet. Makes a good living renting the rooms.
If they stay over 30 days they gain all of the rights of a tenant, some motel owners try to get around this by having them move out for a few days after 30 days but that's against the law. Your friend has probably just never run across a renter who had the sense to call legal aid, but at some point they will so you might want to tell them to a acquaint themselves with the law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: