Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:51 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Wow. Amazed at the many posts knocking the military. Sorry. Think they're a positive influence. Not the Neanderthals some of you are making them out to be.
Without the military SD would be a truck stop. God bless our fighting men and women.

I think it's hilarious anyone can equate the military to being conservative. That is so ignorant it is mind boggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:00 PM

745 posts, read 1,568,503 times
Proximity to Ocean
Interesting views in most areas
Lots to do
Feels like home. I've lived in San Diego County longer than any other place.

Dislikes:

Lack of 4 really distinct seasons
Lack of the greenery you get back east or in the northwest
Wish it was more compact

Old 06-23-2015, 06:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Without the military SD would be a truck stop. God bless our fighting men and women.

I think it's hilarious anyone can equate the military to being conservative. That is so ignorant it is mind boggling.
I just want to say that I strongly support our military and I do not want to attack them. I feel like this might come across as splitting hairs, but the question was what each person liked or disliked about a place (San Diego). Saying you don't like some aspects of the culture that military folks bring is, at least to me, different from saying I don't like people who are serving in the military (and, for example, not wanting to send kids to school with enlisted kids). Maybe you don't see this distinction, but it is one I see.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:51 PM

55 posts, read 86,409 times
Haven't been here too long - about 6 months - but, here goes

The weather
Big city amenities and comforts, but without the size and overwhelming feel of big cities
Enough cultural activities to keep one satisfied
Enough outdoor activities to keep one busy
Proximity to so many places to visit (CA itself, AZ, and W. Coast in general + Mexico & S America)
Interesting people. Friendly too.

Dislikes - hmm can't think of any, but, there are certainly...
...things that could be better:
A bit more rain - I can do without the 4 seasons, but, a good rain shower to "freshen" up the place now and then would be welcome
Road infrastructure in general and bicycling friendly infrastructure in particular. This city has one of the best bicycle friendly climates and yet, that's not being put to good use. I know there are efforts under way, including decobike, but that is it is taking so much effort says the place is not quite accepting/ready to move faster on this front.
The homeless - perhaps this is the same on all west coast cities. It does make one feel sad to see all these people surviving on the streets.

I'm sure as I live here longer, I'll have more to say - might even develop dislikes! - but, overall it feels good to be here compared to places I've lived on the east coast, south, europe, and asia. And it's not as if I hate all those places - I've spent significant time in some magnificent cities and places, but, even with only a few months here, would prefer to live in SD vs other places, which I'd prefer to visit.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:56 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Like :

Medical MJ
Great Weather
Proximity To Mexico !
Proximity To Mexico !
Super Duper Supermarkets that are super affordable ( compared to NYC)
Laid Back Vibe

Dislike :

People are weird. Americans are weird in general but SD is a type of weird that I am not yet accustomed to. Not a bad thing but more of a getting used to it thing.

Fun things to do can be expensive

Housing Costs are very high

In the end I am very happy with my move to SD from NYC. I got just what I wanted. I have a place in SD and an apartment in Tijuana. I go back and forth as I please. Eventually I will start traveling again and when you add in 3 or 4 trips a year to my itinerary you get a very decent lifestyle.

Thumbs up for SD !

Old 06-23-2015, 08:10 PM

813 posts, read 1,273,079 times
I like the same things most people had on their list.

One dislike of mine is the lack of parking at popular places on the weekend, like Balboa Park or the beaches.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:00 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I just want to say that I strongly support our military and I do not want to attack them. I feel like this might come across as splitting hairs, but the question was what each person liked or disliked about a place (San Diego). Saying you don't like some aspects of the culture that military folks bring is, at least to me, different from saying I don't like people who are serving in the military (and, for example, not wanting to send kids to school with enlisted kids). Maybe you don't see this distinction, but it is one I see.
Oh, trust me I do. I'm with you all the way. I was simply passively commenting on a poster that has Republican on the brain and poisons every thread.

As far as the military, I support them 100% and am active with the wounded warrior projects and such every chance I get. I stand by my comment, to equate military to conservative is IGNORANT.

So to add, my dislike of SD is ignorant people that think everyone in the military is white, or from the South, because they aren't. My history with military when I worked in Serra Mesa was mostly minority navy residents. With that and low income based on the low pay was a lot of crime to go with it. This was Navy in the 80s. So ya, I have an opinion too. Poverty/low income trumps race/culture but some people just can't see it.

Which might surprise some from me being not 100% anglo.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 06-23-2015 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 10:37 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm from the south and dadgummit I ain't even used a toilet till I got to San Diego. I always blamed them dang liberals for hatin us southerners.

Thanks for the stereotype though. And yeah, shame on the military. How dare they defend the country? Anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

I think it is more anti-war than anti-military, which can appear to be anti-military. In fact, we (people who seem "anti military") love our men and women in the armed forces, which is why we're anti-war in the first place. We don't think you should die just because government representatives have no idea how to leverage diplomacy.

That's why the slogan "support the troops" is so deceptive. It's used to claim that if you don't support the war you don't support the troops which is total bs. I do not support spending billions that could have been used on infrastructure and education to line the pockets of the military industrial complex that has given us nothing for our wars. Well maybe drones....

Nothing good can ever come from glorifying the military and amongst those countries that did so throughout history, many were doing bad things.The glorification of the military is usually a piece of propaganda that governments use to delude its people into cheering for their wars, without ever examining whether their country isn't on the wrong side of the respective war. Any government entity should just be respected in the sense that they're the tools that let us live comfortable lives.

These people voluntarily signed up for that job in the full knowledge of what it might entail. If you argue that the system is bad but not the people who make up that system, you should apply that very same logic to lobbyists, greedy investment bankers and Monsanto employees: it's not their fault, they're just doing their jobs.

There's always the "defending freedom" crowd over here, which seems like a bad joke considering the utterly pointless Iraq war. An act of aggression doesn't defend anyone or anything, and there's nothing heroic about it. The thing is the whole servicemen/women as heroes thing is shoved down our throat and to ever say anything contrary is like social suicide. Which is really freaking annoying because I think any war the US has fought in since WWII has been completely trash and against all moral correctness.

We should worry about domestic terrorism. As far as I am concerned that young man in South Carolina is a domestic terrorist. We need to stop labeling only people that look Muslim as terrorists. They come in every shape and form. He is in the same ilk as Timothy McVeigh.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 06-23-2015 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 11:10 PM

10 posts, read 13,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
That's why the slogan "support the troops" is so deceptive. It's used to claim that if you don't support the war you don't support the troops which is total bs. I do not support spending billions that could have been used on infrastructure and education to line the pockets of the military industrial complex that has given us nothing for our wars. Well maybe drones....

Nothing good can ever come from glorifying the military and amongst those countries that did so throughout history, many were doing bad things.The glorification of the military is usually a piece of propaganda that governments use to delude its people into cheering for their wars, without ever examining whether their country isn't on the wrong side of the respective war. Any government entity should just be respected in the sense that they're the tools that let us live comfortable lives.
Agree entirely with this.

Anyone who is sent into war on our behalf should be supported and protected to the fullest.
That does not mean that we should blindly support and finance a bloated and profligate war machine at the behest of politicians in Washington who hide behind the 'support the troops' mantra.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:18 PM

674 posts, read 611,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenieSD View Post
I thought there were no cameras in CA at all? Am I mistaken? Where are those?
My spouse found one the hard way over in Vista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego