Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 PM

110 posts, read 295,138 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I relocated to San Diego in '06 for law school. I'm about halfway through now, and my wife has impressed upon me that she really wants a house. The apartment we rent in Tierrasanta is very small. We have two kids under six, and she wants more space for them. She's mentioned moving back to Houston, which I'd really rather not do. The cost of living there is low, but the city has very few other positive attributes.

Part of our problem stems from the fact that I'm from New York, and she is from Fresno. I'm accustomed to a much more urban, high-density style of living. She prefers a quiet suburb. I also like the character of older homes, which she also appreciates, but not to the extent that I do. As an example, she likes the area North of Adams in Normal Heights, as do I.

I would like to live someplace with a large proportion of non-military families, good schools, and generally walkable with a local business district. I'm not anti-military, but I'd rather be around people who will likely stick around for awhile. I really like the neighborhoods near Balboa park, but the schools seem to be iffy. The neighborhoods are walkable and have nice architecture. Someone mentioned 4S ranch as being family friendly. I know it's not urban, but it does seem to be family friendly and have good schools. I would like for my kids to be able to get around by themselves when they're of age, like I did when I was young. But I'm willing to compromise.

My timeframe is about 2+ years out, by which time I anticipate prices will be significantly lower. I'd love to hear any suggestions, including info about the beach communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 06:42 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
Since you mentioned 4S ranch you may want to consider the townhome style condos - they definitely have an urban vibe to them. 4S is very walkable with shopping, schools and parks in walking distance.

My other suggestion would be Coronado although it is very expensive and I don't have much expertise to share regarding that area.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM

60 posts, read 224,349 times
Besides the small place, is there anything else you don't like about Tierrasanta? We're thinking about moving there. We're also looking at 4s and are planning a trip to visit soon. We liked what we saw in Tierrasanta, but have never been to 4s. Looking forward to it. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHudson View Post
Besides the small place, is there anything else you don't like about Tierrasanta? We're thinking about moving there. We're also looking at 4s and are planning a trip to visit soon. We liked what we saw in Tierrasanta, but have never been to 4s. Looking forward to it. Good luck!
Tierrasanta is great for the most part. It is very convenient, with easy access to the 15, 163, and 52. Those three freeways will get you nearly anywhere worth going in SD in minutes. I rarely have a problem with traffic. It also has a lot of families. I moved here because the neighborhood is known for being family friendly.

One downside for me is that there are a lot of military families. To me, this connotes instability. One parent may be out to sea for months at a time. I'm in law school, so I prefer to be around other professionals with traditional career paths that don't move them around. You don't want to get too close to some people for fear that they'll up and move away.

The other downside to Tierrasanta for me is that it's very suburban. Away from the shopping centers anchored by Albertson's and Vons, there isn't much retail or commercial worth walking to. This is my particular gripe though, coming from New York. The real neighborhoods that I like, Hillcrest, Normal Heights, Kensington, etc. are a little too gritty for kids (residents chime in here). TS is also cut off from the rest of San Diego by the 15. I would prefer that it was better connected, like the area South of Mission Valley.

I think Tierrasanta is actually quite suitable for the average person moving to SD with a family.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall00 View Post
The other downside to Tierrasanta for me is that it's very suburban. Away from the shopping centers anchored by Albertson's and Vons, there isn't much retail or commercial worth walking to. This is my particular gripe though, coming from New York. The real neighborhoods that I like, Hillcrest, Normal Heights, Kensington, etc. are a little too gritty for kids (residents chime in here). TS is also cut off from the rest of San Diego by the 15. I would prefer that it was better connected, like the area South of Mission Valley.
I prefer to live south of the 8 and have a baby on the way. And I live in a much grittier area than Kensington or Normal Heights. I know several people with kids your age in Normal Heights. One goes to Green in Del Cerro and the other goes to Longfellow in Clairemont. They are typical kids. Our plan is for my wife to take a teaching job at a private school and we will send our kids there :-)

4S has areas that are almost as dense as parts of San Diego, if you can believe it. City life is not for everyone. But there are lots of kids in the city. The idea that it's unsafe or too gritty really is more about the parents than the kids.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:58 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
Sassberto is correct that 4S is just as densely populated as most of San Diego - I think though that as you get closer to the ocean (whether San Diego or Del Mar or even Carlsbad) it just feels a lot more crowded to me - smaller parking spots, more traffic, etc.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I prefer to live south of the 8 and have a baby on the way. And I live in a much grittier area than Kensington or Normal Heights. I know several people with kids your age in Normal Heights. One goes to Green in Del Cerro and the other goes to Longfellow in Clairemont. They are typical kids. Our plan is for my wife to take a teaching job at a private school and we will send our kids there :-)

4S has areas that are almost as dense as parts of San Diego, if you can believe it. City life is not for everyone. But there are lots of kids in the city. The idea that it's unsafe or too gritty really is more about the parents than the kids.
So, you do have concerns about school quality in your area? That's one of the major factors stopping me from moving south of the 8.

As far as the neighborhoods being gritty, my wife and I looked around normal heights south of Adams for a place before we got an apt in Tierrasanta. I spent some time in and around public housing before leaving NY, and I'm not anxious to go back to that environment. While I prefer the layout and housing stock in those areas, I'm not too keen on some of the residents. My impression may be mistaken, but I'm open to having it corrected. I would love to live in a neighborhood where I can walk or use public transit, like I did growing up. But I don't want to have to move to the hood for it.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:13 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
So, you do have concerns about school quality in your area? That's one of the major factors stopping me from moving south of the 8.
There is no chance of me sending my kids to school in this area, but my wife is a teacher and can pretty much negotiate that system pretty well. We are actually leaning towards private school.

Quote:
As far as the neighborhoods being gritty, my wife and I looked around normal heights south of Adams for a place before we got an apt in Tierrasanta. I spent some time in and around public housing before leaving NY, and I'm not anxious to go back to that environment. While I prefer the layout and housing stock in those areas, I'm not too keen on some of the residents. My impression may be mistaken, but I'm open to having it corrected. I would love to live in a neighborhood where I can walk or use public transit, like I did growing up. But I don't want to have to move to the hood for it.
South of Adams is a whole different world from North of Adams. But that said, you're only a mile or so from a bad neighborhood no matter where in the city you live. So if that is a concern, I don't think city life is really for you.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 AM

Anyone have any info on family friendly areas in the beach communities?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:42 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
We recently moved to LaCosta/Carlsbad - mostly because we have twins on the way and needed a bigger house. Like you, I grew up in NY and really preferred a more urban setting. We lived in El Cerrito (small community between Talmadge & College/Rolando) in a 1929 Spanish Colonial Revival - we LOVED that house and our neighbors but between the schools, its proximity to El Cajon Blvd and the stall in progress, we felt it was time to pick up & move. We're now in an area that borders both the Encinitas and San Dieguito school districts which are considered excellent. I would never have sent our kids to the schools in/around El Cerrito.

We have always balked about moving to the 'burbs but we're both surprised to find how much we actually like it up here and the potential for all the family/child-friendly activities and atmosphere. We have a lot of friends in this area who are professionals and have young children (under 5) and also enjoy, to their surprise, suburban life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego