Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 08:22 AM

762 posts, read 611,299 times

Advertisements

I have Global Entry so I guess I am asking about that in particular. I've been told that now you have to show your passport when you walk across the border into Mexico. Does Mexico stamp your passport at the border when you walk in?

I know when you walk back you get use your GE in the Sentri lane but do you have to how an officer your passport as well?

Also (sorry for all the questions), if you fly from Tijuana into Mexico City and then the same thing coming back, can you just show your GE card or do you have to have your passport so they can stamp it?

I'm going to Cuba and trying to avoid the stamp on my passport (Cuba now stamps even if you ask them not to). I know I technically would somewhat be allowed to go based on the 12 recent criteria on who can go, but I still want no sign that I was there in my passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 09:17 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,431,701 times
You must show a passport book or card to enter Mexico. If you have the card No Stamp...Book = Stamp.

When you return to the USA just your Global Entry card will do.

If you fly anywhere you must have your passport book.

I personally would not fly directly to Cuba from TJ. When you return customs will know that you have traveled just by looking at your passport activity...regardless if you have a Global Entry card.....which is * tied into the customs database.

Better to take a trip to Cancun and arrange travel plans from there.

You risk losing your Global Entry Card.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:32 AM

How would it be any different though flying from San Diego to Cancun, Cancun to Cuba versus walking to TJ, flying from TJ to Mexico City, and then Mexico City to Cuba???

Old 06-19-2016, 01:25 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,431,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
How would it be any different though flying from San Diego to Cancun, Cancun to Cuba versus walking to TJ, flying from TJ to Mexico City, and then Mexico City to Cuba???
Are you doing it all in one shot or spending time in CDMX before you go to Cuba ? Usually people sneak into Cuba while they are on vacation somewhere so it can act as a front for their travel plans.

In this scenario a trip to CDMX without having any hotel receipts or documented time there would look sketchy if you were questioned. After all you are in the * Trusted Traveler Program. A trip to Cancun would seem more appropriate.

I always take the conservative route.

Restrictions are loosening up so maybe nobody cares anymore. I am just trying to give you the most conservative advice.

Good Luck

Old 06-19-2016, 09:24 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
I had several "bank" stamps on page 19 of my passport when I visited Cuba over the years. I always asked for no stamp--sometimes they listened, other times they did not. My bigger concern, when I flew into Cancun via LAX (went mostly when I lived in OC)was the second Mexican stamp upon return from Cuba (could have, but never did, lead to where did you visit in between entries to Mexico)...mexican immigration usually listened and honored my request.....nothing ever happened then (my last visit was in 2005) and it's even less of an issue now...don't get too paranoid over the stamp issue (does not say Cuba at all) especially now when relations are easing....walking back across TJ would be easiest--just don't bring any cigars or rum with you (you can always get at LCDH TIjuana anyways)....do you have the "passport license" (size of a drivers license)--you could show that, rather than your passport, if coming back through San Ysidro.

Have a good time--Ive been 10 times, feel free to ask questions...what cities are you visiting??..Interjet has good fares to and from Cancun; avoid Cubana. Even though it has been a decade since my last visit Cuba has not changed THAT much and I am in contact with people who still visit on a frequent basis.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-19-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 AM

Sending you a private message Elc.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Are you doing it all in one shot or spending time in CDMX before you go to Cuba ? Usually people sneak into Cuba while they are on vacation somewhere so it can act as a front for their travel plans.

In this scenario a trip to CDMX without having any hotel receipts or documented time there would look sketchy if you were questioned. After all you are in the * Trusted Traveler Program. A trip to Cancun would seem more appropriate.

I always take the conservative route.

Restrictions are loosening up so maybe nobody cares anymore. I am just trying to give you the most conservative advice.

Good Luck
No time spend in Cancun or Mexico City other than the airport. Just walk to the TJ border at San Ysidro, take a taxi to the TJ airport, and go from there. Likewise same thing going back. Or maybe just do the CBX thing (haven't done that yet since I've never flown from the TJ airport). I would just buy a roundtrip ticket from TJ to Havana or elsewhere in Cuba. I just would rather not have a Cuban stamp regardless of going there legally or not.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:13 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
got the message....again, no need to worry about the "bank" stamp.....thousands have it, some don't....never heard of anyone getting busted, let alone with an administration that is currently easing restrictions.....and, of course, your defense is the passport was not in your possession 100% of the time--for all you know, a Mexican immigration agent who hates Americans because of Trump put this strange mark in your passport without your knowledge when the passport was not in your possession....go and have a good time and don't worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: