Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:16 PM

706 posts, read 758,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The people that are paying high rent to sell goods on the boardwalk will rat you out in a heartbeat if they see you trying to sell stuff. The Cops patrol the area like hawks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
You're not going to be able to just sell services or goods to people walking along the boardwalk. San Diego's municipal code prohibits street vendors in parks and at beaches. You'd need to open a physical store front on the boardwalk to sell there, and that will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You may have already come across this in your research, but since you're interested in food trucks as a possibility, here is the city of San Diego's laws and regulations governing food trucks: https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/defau...etin/ib148.pdf You'll notice that food trucks and food carts have to stay 2-3 blocks from the beach, so no pulling a small food cart on the boardwalk either.
I had no intention on standing on the sidewalk to try and sell goods to people walking by. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear on that. Lol.

I've never been to a boardwalk and don't know how they're set up. I wasn't sure if there were brick-and-mortar shops or if it was like our flea markets and farmer markets here where the "stores" are temporary and are taken down at the end of each day. It doesn't sound anything close to that, so that's good information to know.

So if no food carts are allowed by the beach, where do tourists go to eat during the day? Are there beachside brick-and-mortar restaurants instead or do people just have to walk inland a bit to find food? I'm just asking out of curiosity since the food truck market is already flooded there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 01:56 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
I had no intention on standing on the sidewalk to try and sell goods to people walking by. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear on that. Lol.

I've never been to a boardwalk and don't know how they're set up. I wasn't sure if there were brick-and-mortar shops or if it was like our flea markets and farmer markets here where the "stores" are temporary and are taken down at the end of each day. It doesn't sound anything close to that, so that's good information to know.

So if no food carts are allowed by the beach, where do tourists go to eat during the day? Are there beachside brick-and-mortar restaurants instead or do people just have to walk inland a bit to find food? I'm just asking out of curiosity since the food truck market is already flooded there.
LOL, that's a relief. I was picturing you pushing a hot dog cart up and down the beach.

Usually, people either just bring their own food to the beach, or take a break and go to a nearby restaurant.

Just to be clear: what we call a "boardwalk" here isn't a "boardwalk" in the way that term is sometimes used back east. Here, the "boardwalk" between Mission Beach and Pacific Beach is more like a wide paved sidewalk (there is a pier that goes out over the ocean in PB). On the one side of the "Sidewalk" are homes, restaurants, bars, and shops. On the other side is a wide expanse of sand, and, of course, the Pacific after that.

Within a two minute walk of the "Boardwalk" are more restaurants, shops and hotels and residential areas. This is a densely populated area with lots of tourists, so the restaurants, bars, and shops go on for quite a while.

There is no shortage of places to eat and drink or shop in PB/MB. (Parking is another matter on hot summer days).

Here are a few video "tours" of the boardwalk area, both PB and MB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-OvuJ9ymWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKbDX8ZOhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgO5jlDvUoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agaWKX1ilJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3sEtE0ILI

Keep in mind that these aren't the only beaches in San Diego County. We have over 50 miles of ocean beaches in SD County, that stretch from the Mexican border to Camp Pendleton. We also have a number of beaches located on bays. Some beaches are state parks, others are city parks. Each beach community has its own restaurants, shops, and personality.

Again, this is where a visit will help you visualize things. San Diego County may not be what you think it is. So, visit as soon as you can.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-14-2016 at 03:15 PM..

Old 07-14-2016, 02:25 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You seem to be all over the place and I'm not quite sure what you're looking for We do have a boardwalk along the ocean in Mission Beach and Pacific Beach.

As someone suggested earlier, you really need to come visit first before you start thinking about opening any new business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post

Where do you currently Live?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
LOL, that's a relief. I was picturing you pushing a hot dog cart up and down the beach.

Just to be clear: what we call a "boardwalk" here isn't a "boardwalk" in the way that term is sometimes used back east. Here, the "boardwalk" between Mission Beach and Pacific Beach is more like a wide paved sidewalk (there is a pier that goes out over the ocean in PB). On the one side of the "Sidewalk" are homes, restaurants, bars, and shops. On the other side is a wide expanse of sand, and, of course, the Pacific after that.

Within a two minute walk of the "Boardwalk" are more restaurants, shops and hotels and residential areas. This is a densely populated area with lots of tourists, so the restaurants, bars, and shops go on for quite a while.

There is no shortage of places to eat and drink or shop in PB/MB. (Parking is another matter on hot summer days).
I guess that's why I was confused when it was mentioned a few times about lack of restaurants. I imagined there were plenty. I guess it just depends on the location.

Quote:
Here are a few video "tours" of the boardwalk area, both PB and MB:

<snip>

Usually, people either just bring their own food to the beach, or take a break and go to a nearby restaurant.
Okay, that's not anything like I imagined. Lol. I was thinking it was more like Venice Beach or the boardwalks on the East Coast. Obviously, I know nothing of the beach areas.

Quote:
Again, this is where a visit will help you visualize things. San Diego County may not be what you think it is. So, visit as soon as you can.
I will, thank you.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Where do you currently Live?
Indiana. I lived near San Fransisco when I was about 8 years old, and that's the extent of my time spent in California. I was too young to remember much about the area.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:44 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
This would be easier if you told us the types of business you are looking to open. If it's food service near beaches, you need capital because leases, rent, labor and taxes are expensive. As I said earlier there is every conceivable service business here, as anywhere in CA. This is a very mature and competitive market for any business.

On the other hand, if you were a highly capable plumber, electrician, contractor or other service tech who is great with communication and shows up on time, I think SD is actually a good opp, people are flakey here and the service folks who are on time always get loyal customers.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
This would be easier if you told us the types of business you are looking to open. If it's food service near beaches, you need capital because leases, rent, labor and taxes are expensive. As I said earlier there is every conceivable service business here, as anywhere in CA. This is a very mature and competitive market for any business.
As I've said, I didn't start this thread for me alone. The question was, "What do you all need or want out there that you don't have now?" I am starting at this base just to see if there are any gaps I (or anyone else) can possibly fill. It doesn't really sound like you all have too many gaps, though. This is the information I was needing right now.

Until I'm able to visit, I don't think I'll have any real idea of whether I will fit in there or not, or whether it's at all feasible for me to live there. As of now, I would have to live in my car if I relocated there, and that's not something I want to do now or in the future. I have 4 years or more to plan a move, and this will also be the time I spend gaining more education and developing a plan for relocation. Because I *can* go in multiple directions, my goal right now is to settle on a choice. It just so happens that my choice may be dependent on where I will be living. It's all intertwined.

It's almost like I'm right out of high school since I'm basically having to start over. I'm flexible enough to be able to go in many directions with a business or career. I was a restaurant and factory worker until my son was born 15 years ago. I quit my job then so I could raise him. I was working at home as a contractor for my last employer until I had a run-in with an IPL machine 11 years ago. During this time, I've gained many skills and interests and ideas, but I haven't been bringing in an income.

My original business plan was product-based and varied. I would be making natural and organic small-batch personal care products, organic fabric creations, and custom jewelry. This is much more involved than a service business, and it's not exactly portable since I would have to carry inventory of raw materials.

I've been making really nice personal care products for a few years already; it's just hard finding the right type of clientele where I live. It's all very expensive to make and the lotions I create must be refrigerated. The high cost and the inconvenience makes it hard to find customers around here. Lack of interest in natural and organic products is a bit of a problem. People here aren't as body and eco-conscious as people out West. It's getting there, but again my products cost so much to produce that the end price is prohibitive for many people in this region--even if they are interested. It's easier and cheaper to buy "regular" products at chain stores.

Services I could offer include editing/proofreading, possible ESL work (conversational English), general services such as cooking and cleaning for people or taking care of their homes or pets or gardens, and teaching basic life skills such as cooking/baking, preserving, and food gardening. I think maybe I'm supposed to be teaching people. I would just have to land on a subject and find a way to make it work. I'm not interested in teaching in academic schools, which is why I never pursued that type of career. Legally, I can't teach what I've gotten really good at in the last ten years--and that's been holistic healthcare. That's also something I wouldn't want to be profiting from, for various reasons.

Quote:
On the other hand, if you were a highly capable plumber, electrician, contractor or other service tech who is great with communication and shows up on time, I think SD is actually a good opp, people are flakey here and the service folks who are on time always get loyal customers.
Sadly, I'm not any of those types of people. I know basic plumbing and electricity because I've assisted with those kinds of projects here (we own the house), but I'm far from being a journeyman. I'm really good at housework. Does that count? Lol.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:32 AM

I'm not looking at San Diego alone, btw. I was hoping to get information about all of San Diego county.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
For being a region as big as we are, we severely lack good food of many different kinds. Mexican, Asian, Italian, even American food such as small diners that aren't just a grease hole with bland tasting menu items.

The Thai food is a hit or miss, Chinese food is ok depending on where you go, but generally they all almost taste the same. The Japanese food is actually pretty good, Mexican food here is bland and doesn't have the flavorful kick of L.A. or T.J. taco stands as far as taste, and the fact that we don't have a whole lot of Italian restaurants that isn't catered to snobs (plenty of pizza shops though) is another concern I have.

Jack in the Box or 24 hr Taco Shops don't cut it anymore when you are looking for somewhere to eat late at night. This is another major thing SD lacks. You can't find anywhere open after 10 pm usually. If you do, the food sucks! No 24hr diners to choose from except for Dennys (Ugh), or other types of different cuisines that are open super late for locals and tourist alike.

If there is something open late, you have to drive miles and miles just to get to it.

This is why SD isn't a real serious metro yet, other similar size cities that I have been to have places open late all the time.

Not enough great shopping destinations, Mission and Fashion Valley being only the real contenders here. The ultra wealthy probably have it the hardest to choose from as trying to find those high end clothing stores as they really don't exist in SD. Only in L.A., O.C., S.F., and San Jose as those markets are much richer overall than here.

Lack of corporate businesses that bring higher paying jobs to town, and SD generally being a tourist oriented that it doesn't put any pressure on politicians to lure high profile companies to come open up shop, and help this place grow in which wages go up compared to now where we mostly have service work that doesn't pay enough for the average family to survive, let alone rent a place.

A beach bum attitude amongst a lot of residents, and thinking that SD is everything and no other place exist to them. Lack of a sophistication among locals.
SDlife, you just have been going to the wrong places plain and simple. San Diego is one place where not only just about every kind of food is available, but there are truly top quality/authentic places of each kind. Your comment about the Mexican food just blew me away because as someone who has lived in both LA and SD, as well as many other places, SD has the best, most flavorful mexican food by far.
Let me know if you need any pointers.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:11 PM

230 posts, read 173,351 times
an IKEA in PB!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego