Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:39 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychmd View Post
I was able to find both listings based on your description, and to my (admittedly amateur) eyes I don't see a case of your brother being ripped off in either the house he bought nor the one he is selling. There are comps for both houses in the range of what he paid and sold for. It may be a combination of:

Slightly more desirable area
More desirable single floor ranch vs two story
Larger lot with more usable outdoor space (from the photos anyway)
More integration between indoor and outdoor space
View of golf course and mountains vs view of roofs and mountains
Hard to tell from photos, but I suspect floorplan of their new house may use the available sq footage better

In sum, the things that can't be changed (or are difficult to change) about either house tend to favor their new house.

Their realtor probably didn't get them the lowest price possible on their new house or the highest price possible on their old house, but just based on what I see from each house individually I don't see a glaring problem with what they paid or received. I do see how it would make you scratch your head when you are looking at the price per sqft as well as the updates they did to the kitchen and master bath though. One thing the realtor maybe could have done better would be to be more aware of (or if she was aware of it, more communicative of) whether the markets for RP and RB were hotter than usual or if the relative prices were normal for the two areas.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 06:18 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Rancho Bernardo is a much more expensive area than Rancho Peñasquitos. Real Estate is location, location, location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: