Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,441,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You really twisted what I said. I never said put them behind locked doors and you know it. I said they should be given a room with a door that THEY can lock so they can sleep, eat do drugs, drink, whatever they want in private. Most communities that offer supportive housing charge 1/3 of any SS or SSI that they receive or if they are ineligible they pay $50 a month.

relapse occurs frequently and long time sobriety is hard to achieve. With opioid addiction relapse rate is as high as 80% and many people with substance abuse problems have comorbid mental illness. These aren't problem that are easy to fix and in some cases we can't fix them. As far as dying..eventually we will all die, but waiting for the homeless to die is pretty much what we've been doing and it sure hasn't worked well.
Unfortunately neither has much of anything else.

The problems start before the addictions and have to do a great deal with moral standards and the deterioration of such with the increase in the if it feels good do it mind set.

Unemployed people usually get out of the problem because they have a different set of standards. Mentally ill usually need to be in some sort of home. Drug addicts, etc, usually are too far gone, but stopping others from following their course would help. oops just passed a law that Pot is OK. That sure helped. When standards deteriorate, so does society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Oh here we go again. With the BS about homeless migration to ______________ (insert California city of choice for your whine).

Do I really have to drag out the studies again, that show that, on average, between 75% and 85% of homeless were previously employed and housed in the city where they are presently now homeless. And that another roughly 15% come from the same state, while only about 10% have migrated in from other states.

Over and over and over and over and over on these threads. Denied by the same posters over and over and over and over ... even after being shown the studies over and over and over and over and over.

Get "over" it.
Very well said Tulemutt, my first reading was enough today from your analysis and proofs furnished, after all, math is proof of truth, is not formulated for ((bias)) i.e: prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair. For me, and fellows I coffee with, trend towards the American in homelessness as looking for solutions versus contempt for the suffering. Liken to what the poet wrote to Bill Moyers in 1973, " "You only are free when you realize you belong no place, you belong every place ; no place at all. The price is high. The reward is great." - Poet Maya Angelou to Bill Moyers, 1973. I did research LinkedIn for SD jobs after reading your paper and note a hopeshot for those looking from the hobo jungle press forward, there are 51 Thousand + jobs listed in our area. AS hard as it is to Luv OC and all of California from the comfort of one's home, I for one am grateful advocacy groups are pluggy away at helping a citizen homeless navigate with best possible resources, even if math isn't their first calling in the humanities. salutes, 92110=13=4.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:42 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Unfortunately neither has much of anything else.

The problems start before the addictions and have to do a great deal with moral standards and the deterioration of such with the increase in the if it feels good do it mind set.

Unemployed people usually get out of the problem because they have a different set of standards. Mentally ill usually need to be in some sort of home. Drug addicts, etc, usually are too far gone, but stopping others from following their course would help. oops just passed a law that Pot is OK. That sure helped. When standards deteriorate, so does society.
...So recreational marijuana will lead to more homeless drug addicts, are you serious? None of this has anything to do with moral standards, it has to do with people having a predisposition to addiction getting involved in either drug or alcohol use. No one ever took that first drink thinking they would end up homeless on skid row, and no one borrowing a few vicodin from their neighbor thought that one day they might be shooting up in a public park. My point was that there are very few effective 'cures' for addiction so maybe we need to look at harm reduction.

I know harm reduction isn't nearly as attractive as demanding lifetime sobriety before giving a drunk a place to sleep, but that's not usually realistic. If the condition of housing is total abstinence they will likely choose to stay on the streets. Seattle, Traverse City Michigan and Ottawa all have housing for chronic inebriates where they are allowed to drink on the premises. Most of the residents remained in the housing and in Seattle they consumed less alcohol than they did on the streets. It's up to individual communities to decide if 'bunks for drunks' is a good idea, but if the option is leaving them on the streets it might be worth thinking about. https://sfpublicpress.org/news/homel...s-offer-a-home

In the UK, Canada, Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands Doctors prescribe heroin to opioid addicts who have failed attempts at recovery with methadone or suboxone. The drugs are dispensed and used under medical supervision, addicts do not leave the facility with the drugs. In the UK addicts have to have a permit from law enforcement showing that they are not breaking the law while on the maintenance program. It sounds awful, giving people heroin but when you realize that they will get it on the black market in adulterated form and quite possibly break the law or sell drugs themselves to get their dope doesn't it sort of make sense to treat it like an illness? Could we do the same by prescribing adderall for meth addicts? It's the same drug except for one molecule, and people who take adderall lead successful productive lives.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 AM

381 posts, read 345,756 times
I know people from high school that did nothing with their lives but smoke pot. I could easily see how this could have a cascading effect that could eventually lead to homelessness. Lack of education, followed by reduced job prospects, followed by financial struggle, followed by homelessness. If marijuana leads them to harder drugs, then you can accelerate the process. Alcohol is a red herring, as there are a number of people totally enthralled with pot that don’t drink much alcohol.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:02 PM

987 posts, read 782,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
I'm hoping Hobo Magazine is a free subscription
I believe this is The Reader or the San Diego Reader free weekly publication in San Diego.

It is a very cool magazine that rolls with the times! The 420 ads used two be 4 times thick 2 years ago, aka the green pages, lol...but now only less that 4 pages, for now. IMHO. I just love it. I first became a fan of it because of the music scene (Punk rock in the mid 90's) Pennywise and Offspring Sublime etc I lived in OB back then.

There are certain columns I love to read like Un Real Estate, as well as Tin Fork. Toilet reading.

Some of the Cover stories are pretty interesting as well.

YMMV

Old 09-15-2018, 09:04 PM

21,771 posts, read 16,420,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
I know people from high school that did nothing with their lives but smoke pot. I could easily see how this could have a cascading effect that could eventually lead to homelessness. Lack of education, followed by reduced job prospects, followed by financial struggle, followed by homelessness. If marijuana leads them to harder drugs, then you can accelerate the process. Alcohol is a red herring, as there are a number of people totally enthralled with pot that don’t drink much alcohol.
“Red herring?” There aren’t homeless alcoholics? There aren’t alcoholics who don’t smoke much (or any) pot? What are you trying to say here?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:42 PM

2,989 posts, read 1,576,725 times
A thread on homelessness in Quora, got a huge response. Expect the homeless problem to escalate when this "good economy" goes bust.

https://www.quora.com/I-feel-no-symp...oming-homeless

Old 09-16-2018, 09:48 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,168,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
...So recreational marijuana will lead to more homeless drug addicts, are you serious? None of this has anything to do with moral standards, it has to do with people having a predisposition to addiction getting involved in either drug or alcohol use. No one ever took that first drink thinking they would end up homeless on skid row, and no one borrowing a few vicodin from their neighbor thought that one day they might be shooting up in a public park. My point was that there are very few effective 'cures' for addiction so maybe we need to look at harm reduction.

I know harm reduction isn't nearly as attractive as demanding lifetime sobriety before giving a drunk a place to sleep, but that's not usually realistic. If the condition of housing is total abstinence they will likely choose to stay on the streets. Seattle, Traverse City Michigan and Ottawa all have housing for chronic inebriates where they are allowed to drink on the premises. Most of the residents remained in the housing and in Seattle they consumed less alcohol than they did on the streets. It's up to individual communities to decide if 'bunks for drunks' is a good idea, but if the option is leaving them on the streets it might be worth thinking about. https://sfpublicpress.org/news/homel...s-offer-a-home

In the UK, Canada, Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands Doctors prescribe heroin to opioid addicts who have failed attempts at recovery with methadone or suboxone. The drugs are dispensed and used under medical supervision, addicts do not leave the facility with the drugs. In the UK addicts have to have a permit from law enforcement showing that they are not breaking the law while on the maintenance program. It sounds awful, giving people heroin but when you realize that they will get it on the black market in adulterated form and quite possibly break the law or sell drugs themselves to get their dope doesn't it sort of make sense to treat it like an illness? Could we do the same by prescribing adderall for meth addicts? It's the same drug except for one molecule, and people who take adderall lead successful productive lives.
It is pretty clear that pot legalization increases the homeless population. Mind you, I voted for legalization in California. That doesn't mean that I will put my head in the sand. Bums like pot. Oh and they move around for good places to be a bum as has been discussed exhaustively in the LA forum but you and others chose to believe otherwise.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/us/co...ess/index.html

There are many more sources.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,168,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by occamlogican View Post
very well said tulemutt, my first reading was enough today from your analysis and proofs furnished, after all, math is proof of truth, is not formulated for ((bias)) i.e: Prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair. For me, and fellows i coffee with, trend towards the american in homelessness as looking for solutions versus contempt for the suffering. Liken to what the poet wrote to bill moyers in 1973, " "you only are free when you realize you belong no place, you belong every place ; no place at all. The price is high. The reward is great." - poet maya angelou to bill moyers, 1973. I did research linkedin for sd jobs after reading your paper and note a hopeshot for those looking from the hobo jungle press forward, there are 51 thousand + jobs listed in our area. as hard as it is to luv oc and all of california from the comfort of one's home, i for one am grateful advocacy groups are pluggy away at helping a citizen homeless navigate with best possible resources, even if math isn't their first calling in the humanities. Salutes, 92110=13=4.
wth?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:10 PM

21,771 posts, read 16,420,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It is pretty clear that pot legalization increases the homeless population. Mind you, I voted for legalization in California. That doesn't mean that I will put my head in the sand. Bums like pot. Oh and they move around for good places to be a bum as has been discussed exhaustively in the LA forum but you and others chose to believe otherwise.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/us/co...ess/index.html

There are many more sources.
You’re kidding with this post, right OC?

Colorado has approximately 11,000 homeless. And it’s numbers are slightly declining.
Now you provide a seriously half-assed news item full of contradictory caveats, that cites percentages of percentages that amount to at most a few hundred transients out of 11,000?

Seriously, bro?

We’ve already seen research that agrees about 10% or so of homeless are transient “travelers”. So we know that likely at least something over 1,000 Colorado homeless are drifters from out of state anyway. Now you are trying to make a point about major impact to homelessness vis a vis a couple hundred transient pot smokers?

Really, bro?

Really really?

Lol good grief Charlie Brown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego