Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 10:12 PM

21,765 posts, read 16,405,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It is pretty clear that pot legalization increases the homeless population. Mind you, I voted for legalization in California. That doesn't mean that I will put my head in the sand. Bums like pot. Oh and they move around for good places to be a bum as has been discussed exhaustively in the LA forum but you and others chose to believe otherwise.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/us/co...ess/index.html

There are many more sources.
Do tell ... and link us up to a few?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 PM

21,765 posts, read 16,405,318 times
Quote:
It is pretty clear that pot legalization increases the homeless population. Mind you, I voted for legalization in California. That doesn't mean that I will put my head in the sand. Bums like pot. Oh and they move around for good places to be a bum as has been discussed exhaustively in the LA forum but you and others chose to believe otherwise.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/us/co...ess/index.html

Lmmfao ... OC ... we “choose to believe otherwise”? No sir. We educate outselves to the credible research and evaluate coroboration from multiple sources.

YOU are the one “choosing” to “believe” as opposed to learning to know factually.

You’ve been challenged to link us up with credible research supporting your “beliefs.” So far? Zippo from you. Your bus ticket epiphany was a total bust that proved nothing you suggested. Now your Colorado article brings more nothingness. Full of non-research crap:
Quote:
Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper downplayed the results of the survey, but stressed the need for more data. "They did [the survey] on the cheap," he said. Hickenlooper, a Democrat, points out that just two homeless inmates surveyed who arrived in Colorado post-legalization chose only marijuana as their reason for coming, though inmates were free to select multiple responses. It's unclear how many chose only one response.
"That is a pretty small number," he said. "Marijuana, was that something that made them come here? Again, I don't doubt that a third of them did. Does that mean we're attracting criminals? We're attracting a lot of people, and when you attract a lot of people you get some homeless people."
Tom Luehrs, the executive director of Denver's St. Francis Center, said he doesn't need a survey to know that marijuana has drawn more transient people to Denver and through the doors of his homeless shelter.
"We've seen that over the past several years," he said, adding a lack of solid research has made it easy for skeptics to ignore the issue.
Luehrs said his shelter did its own informal research that confirmed that marijuana is a driving factor in attracting homeless people to the city in many cases.
Now, you read through paying attention to the bolded statements above ... and tell me with a straight face that this article constitutes credible research. Pay attention to how many contradictions it poses.

“Doesn’t need a survey to know ...”
... admits: “ ... a lack of solid research ...”
“Did its own ‘informal’ research that confirmed ...”

You gotta be kidding. Seriously.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:42 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
Quote:
It is pretty clear that pot legalization increases the homeless population. Mind you, I voted for legalization in California. That doesn't mean that I will put my head in the sand. Bums like pot. Oh and they move around for good places to be a bum as has been discussed exhaustively in the LA forum but you and others chose to believe otherwise. https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/us/co...ess/index.html
That's just silly, it was a survey of homeless jail inmates and two of them said legalized marijuana was the only reason they moved to Colorado, but you don't need a study to tell you what's obvious, there is no advantage to the homeless moving to a City where Marijuana is legal. Black market Marijuana is far cheaper and easier to get than legal marijuana, and you don't need an ID card to buy marijuana on the streets. A2017 Metro Denver Homeless Initiative study that showed Denver hasn't seen an increase of homeless people whose last established residence was outside of Colorado since legal sales of recreational marijuana began. And in the ICR's "Pueblo County Impact Study" However, an excerpt from the section on homelessness reads: "We found no evidence that poverty has either increased or decreased in Pueblo as a result of cannabis legalization. ... Apart from anecdotal reports, we did not find definitive evidence that links increased homelessness to legal cannabis."

Old 09-16-2018, 11:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,162,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You’re kidding with this post, right OC?

Colorado has approximately 11,000 homeless. And it’s numbers are slightly declining.
Now you provide a seriously half-assed news item full of contradictory caveats, that cites percentages of percentages that amount to at most a few hundred transients out of 11,000?

Seriously, bro?

We’ve already seen research that agrees about 10% or so of homeless are transient “travelers”. So we know that likely at least something over 1,000 Colorado homeless are drifters from out of state anyway. Now you are trying to make a point about major impact to homelessness vis a vis a couple hundred transient pot smokers?

Really, bro?

Really really?

Lol good grief Charlie Brown!
Here’s an article from 2014 from Colorado. Travelers, as you calll them, are homeless. It’s just another term for the same thing. If you believe otherwise, show me a definition of homelessness that everyone agrees upon. Even assuming arguendo that the pot seeking bums are “travelers” and not homeless, the writers of the articles themselves don’t make such a distinction.

There's an enormous migration, even a homeless movement, so to speak," David Spencer, a homeless man from Tennessee, told CBS Denver. "I figured this would be a good place to start over."

Source:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/legal-m...s-to-colorado/

Old 02-08-2022, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 310 times
I am homeless in LaMesa It really sucks. I don't want to be. I moved to SD a decade ago for a job, it was great, I loved the job and the advancement in my career, which was breeding dogs and training service animals. Unfortunately, a few months after relocating here, the owner of the company passed away. The business was a private family owner company which has been in operation since the early 70's. When he passed his children/family members weren't interested in continuing the operation of the company, they were ”money hungry” so to say, and wanted to quickly sell it off and taking the money... This happened, with no regard to it's few employees and their families (I had 2 young children). I immediately got to looking for another job... I have experience in many fields, as well as 2 college degrees, tons of volcational training and certifications, and an excellent resume... I applied and applied, interviewed and interviewed... meanwhile my savings is running out. I took a few different minimal wage jobs (even telemarketing!!) To try to make it... Bring home weekly paychecks at $160/week sometimes! Try to afford SD with 2 kids on that income! Doesn't work... We moved to a tiny 1bdrm, if you call it that, was basically a walk-in closet...in City Heights, nothing worked, nothing locked, I never ever even got a working key to the front door. I sued the slumlord, and Won, but woo-hoo.. I basically won that the landlord supposedly couldn't ever give me a bad reference. Big deal! And now I have 3 weeks to move our! With what money? Went down to weekly hotels, to some friends couches, to shelters... My CCs got maxed out, my car repo-ed, money ran out... Shelters were horrible, ppl constantly stealing your belongings, getting attacked, almost raped, ppl ODing on drugs in the bathrooms, fights constantly, ppl starting fights with you for NO reason, usually because mentally ill, drunk, or high on various drugs. Drugs are outrageous in those places, you are actually singled out and harrassed if you DON'T do them... You must sleep with anything of value ON YOUR BODY, but still many times they manage to get your stuff, it's crazy! The workers can't or won't do anything about these issues either. AND to top it all off, there is almost ALWAYS a waiting list to get in these places. St Vincent's Downtown is one of the worst for all the things I mentioned, and it has 6 to 12 month wait list, having to got there weekly to check-in to keep your spot on the list... but it is the only place that you can get a private room only if you have kids, all others are dorm settings with cots, some separate men and women, some don't. IT IS NOT SAVE FOR CHILDREN, NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU OR WHAT YOU HEAR/READ!! I finally allowed my children to go live with distant family members (no longer distant...) Because I couldn't stomach them being out here with me... after them being with them year after year because I couldn't work my way off the streets, I allowed them to adopt my Children...who could take them away from the bond they had formed after all that time?? I miss them dearly, and don't get to see them nearly enough for my heart and soul. Hardest thing I've ever had to do. Then the bigtime depression sets in, but you gotta keep going day by day, right? I've had 3 jobs while being homeless, but eventually lost them for different reasons... You have to keep a phone or something charged so you have an alarm clock to wake up for work and be on time (difficult! Had to find places you can charge at for free) you have to be showered and smell and look presentable (difficult! There are VERY FEW places that offer showers) you have to have clean clothes (difficult! This takes money to wash them, getting clothes to and from a laundry mat, somewhere to keep the clothes once clean, keep clothes from being stolen, a huge issue out here!) Transportation (I no longer have a car, bus fare is minimum $7/per day and until up and on feet a little bit, this is difficult to come up with) and there are other basic issues...shelter, food, etc... It's actually safer outside of shelters, believe it or not... But still finding safe places to be and sleep, warm when cold, dry when raining...is next to impossible... I can't count the dozens and dozens of ”illegal lodging” tickets I've gotten. I've been to jail at least 20 times over the last decade, all having to do with homelessness in some way... And before being homeless I had never even had any legal issues more than a speeding ticket!! Even though the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT passed a law stating that sleeping outdoors or in a car is no longer illegal because it's inhumane, most local law enforcement don't seem to want to recognize this... Any services provided out there, such as hot meals, etc... All come with waiting in line for hours, with rude, obnoxious, very ungrateful people... Who feel they are untitled...instead of being thankful for someone caring enough to help. For the first several years, besides trying to find and keep jobs, I would recycle. It takes 6-8 hours a day to make $40-$60... And tons of walking, digging thru nasty trash, and baring the nasty comments and looks from the community. Many times the police are called out because it violates a penal code. I have been lucky enough, that after about 4 years of being profiled by the local PD, they have figured out that I'm not a junkie, and I'm not out there breaking a bunch of laws like robbing stores or breaking into cars and homes. So when they are called out when I'M recycling, they usually just wave and go on, or stop and say hello and let me know someone called, maybe quit soon, sometimes they buy me a coffee.. but after years of this (I'm now 53yo) it really taking its toll on my body, and being homeless is REALLY taking a toll on my health (who knew?) So...I've began panhandling and signing. It's so humbling and emotionally and spiritually taxing...not to mention embarassing, Feeling at the end of your rope, not knowing what else to do... That you have to beg strangers for money, food, whatever they will help with... The first year or so, ANYTIME someone would give me a dollar or something, I'd start crying... And I often still do, especially if someone hands me like a $20, or someone randomly comes up out of blue and gives me something. It happened 2 days ago, I woke up and a gentleman said he saw me the other day having a hard time, and looked like I could use this and he handed me 2 ten dollar bills... Made me cry, made my day... I was able to start my day with a hot meal! A RARE treat...(if you are reading this now,. THANK YOU AGAIN!) This life isn't easy..people are constantly yelling nasty things at you, I've had things thrown at me, sodas poured on me, trash dumped on me, been assaulted because they don't like ”my type” in their neighborhood, I've almost been raped 3 different times... I don't want this life... But I have no one, no family left, no close friends here, except those I've made on the streets, and most aren't close because you can't trust anyone, the minute your back is turned, their robbing you too... I come from a good upper class family, I lived a good ”normal” life... Graduated HS, went to college, got married, had kids, father of kids passed away, went back to school, got another degree... Lived healthy, active, positive, spiritual... Who ever thought I'd be living on the streets going into my golden years??? NOT ME .. the thought NEVER entered my mind. As I sign, I think about the homeless I used to give a buck or two back in the day... Strange. I pray and hope this NEVER Happens to You, your Loved Ones...your Children, your Mom, Sister , Aunt... You've seen me if you live in LaMesa... I'm a 53 year old woman who's been homeless in LaMesa for about a decade... I recycle your neighborhoods (quietly, and I NEVER leave a mess, I clean up other's messes too..) and you'll see me signing on Various corners around town. I don't do it out of greed, purely basic need. I thank all of you that have shown me kindness and compassion... And for the smiles you've given me...and for remembering me in your prayers. I remember you my prayers as well. Thank you for allowing me to express myself.and forgive.me if I've.ever.insulted you with my presence, has never been my intention. God bless us all...

Old 02-08-2022, 09:37 AM

10,349 posts, read 6,898,458 times
Wow, that's quite a story. Your kids are no help?

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 02-08-2022 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Changed the whole flippin' post. (I can do that, ya know!)

Old 02-08-2022, 10:21 AM

42,867 posts, read 26,366,900 times
There are people like the poster who lost everything and can't climb out of homelessness. When we moved to Sac County we rented a motel room while looking for a house. An elderly lady would pull into the parking lot every morning and go into the office. I asked the manager about her and he said "don't tell anyone, I will lose my job, but she lives on a tiny pension and can't find a place to live so she sleeps in her car - a local church allows her to park in a safe place behind their church. She spends the day scavenging for recyclables, when I saw her going through our trash I scolded her but when she told me what was going on with her, I broke the rules and allow her to shower here every morning and eat at the breakfast buffet. If I could find a way to give her a room I would but I don't have that kind of authority"

Old 02-10-2022, 09:28 AM

9,826 posts, read 11,575,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamesahomelessgurl View Post
I am homeless in LaMesa It really sucks. I don't want to be. I moved to SD a decade ago for a job, it was great, I loved the job and the advancement in my career, which was breeding dogs and training service animals. Unfortunately, a few months after relocating here, the owner of the company passed away. The business was a private family owner company which has been in operation since the early 70's. When he passed his children/family members weren't interested in continuing the operation of the company, they were ”money hungry” so to say, and wanted to quickly sell it off and taking the money... This happened, with no regard to it's few employees and their families (I had 2 young children). I immediately got to looking for another job... I have experience in many fields, as well as 2 college degrees, tons of volcational training and certifications, and an excellent resume... I applied and applied, interviewed and interviewed... meanwhile my savings is running out. I took a few different minimal wage jobs (even telemarketing!!) To try to make it... Bring home weekly paychecks at $160/week sometimes! Try to afford SD with 2 kids on that income! Doesn't work... We moved to a tiny 1bdrm, if you call it that, was basically a walk-in closet...in City Heights, nothing worked, nothing locked, I never ever even got a working key to the front door. I sued the slumlord, and Won, but woo-hoo.. I basically won that the landlord supposedly couldn't ever give me a bad reference. Big deal! And now I have 3 weeks to move our! With what money? Went down to weekly hotels, to some friends couches, to shelters... My CCs got maxed out, my car repo-ed, money ran out... Shelters were horrible, ppl constantly stealing your belongings, getting attacked, almost raped, ppl ODing on drugs in the bathrooms, fights constantly, ppl starting fights with you for NO reason, usually because mentally ill, drunk, or high on various drugs. Drugs are outrageous in those places, you are actually singled out and harrassed if you DON'T do them... You must sleep with anything of value ON YOUR BODY, but still many times they manage to get your stuff, it's crazy! The workers can't or won't do anything about these issues either. AND to top it all off, there is almost ALWAYS a waiting list to get in these places. St Vincent's Downtown is one of the worst for all the things I mentioned, and it has 6 to 12 month wait list, having to got there weekly to check-in to keep your spot on the list... but it is the only place that you can get a private room only if you have kids, all others are dorm settings with cots, some separate men and women, some don't. IT IS NOT SAVE FOR CHILDREN, NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU OR WHAT YOU HEAR/READ!! I finally allowed my children to go live with distant family members (no longer distant...) Because I couldn't stomach them being out here with me... after them being with them year after year because I couldn't work my way off the streets, I allowed them to adopt my Children...who could take them away from the bond they had formed after all that time?? I miss them dearly, and don't get to see them nearly enough for my heart and soul. Hardest thing I've ever had to do. Then the bigtime depression sets in, but you gotta keep going day by day, right? I've had 3 jobs while being homeless, but eventually lost them for different reasons... You have to keep a phone or something charged so you have an alarm clock to wake up for work and be on time (difficult! Had to find places you can charge at for free) you have to be showered and smell and look presentable (difficult! There are VERY FEW places that offer showers) you have to have clean clothes (difficult! This takes money to wash them, getting clothes to and from a laundry mat, somewhere to keep the clothes once clean, keep clothes from being stolen, a huge issue out here!) Transportation (I no longer have a car, bus fare is minimum $7/per day and until up and on feet a little bit, this is difficult to come up with) and there are other basic issues...shelter, food, etc... It's actually safer outside of shelters, believe it or not... But still finding safe places to be and sleep, warm when cold, dry when raining...is next to impossible... I can't count the dozens and dozens of ”illegal lodging” tickets I've gotten. I've been to jail at least 20 times over the last decade, all having to do with homelessness in some way... And before being homeless I had never even had any legal issues more than a speeding ticket!! Even though the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT passed a law stating that sleeping outdoors or in a car is no longer illegal because it's inhumane, most local law enforcement don't seem to want to recognize this... Any services provided out there, such as hot meals, etc... All come with waiting in line for hours, with rude, obnoxious, very ungrateful people... Who feel they are untitled...instead of being thankful for someone caring enough to help. For the first several years, besides trying to find and keep jobs, I would recycle. It takes 6-8 hours a day to make $40-$60... And tons of walking, digging thru nasty trash, and baring the nasty comments and looks from the community. Many times the police are called out because it violates a penal code. I have been lucky enough, that after about 4 years of being profiled by the local PD, they have figured out that I'm not a junkie, and I'm not out there breaking a bunch of laws like robbing stores or breaking into cars and homes. So when they are called out when I'M recycling, they usually just wave and go on, or stop and say hello and let me know someone called, maybe quit soon, sometimes they buy me a coffee.. but after years of this (I'm now 53yo) it really taking its toll on my body, and being homeless is REALLY taking a toll on my health (who knew?) So...I've began panhandling and signing. It's so humbling and emotionally and spiritually taxing...not to mention embarassing, Feeling at the end of your rope, not knowing what else to do... That you have to beg strangers for money, food, whatever they will help with... The first year or so, ANYTIME someone would give me a dollar or something, I'd start crying... And I often still do, especially if someone hands me like a $20, or someone randomly comes up out of blue and gives me something. It happened 2 days ago, I woke up and a gentleman said he saw me the other day having a hard time, and looked like I could use this and he handed me 2 ten dollar bills... Made me cry, made my day... I was able to start my day with a hot meal! A RARE treat...(if you are reading this now,. THANK YOU AGAIN!) This life isn't easy..people are constantly yelling nasty things at you, I've had things thrown at me, sodas poured on me, trash dumped on me, been assaulted because they don't like ”my type” in their neighborhood, I've almost been raped 3 different times... I don't want this life... But I have no one, no family left, no close friends here, except those I've made on the streets, and most aren't close because you can't trust anyone, the minute your back is turned, their robbing you too... I come from a good upper class family, I lived a good ”normal” life... Graduated HS, went to college, got married, had kids, father of kids passed away, went back to school, got another degree... Lived healthy, active, positive, spiritual... Who ever thought I'd be living on the streets going into my golden years??? NOT ME .. the thought NEVER entered my mind. As I sign, I think about the homeless I used to give a buck or two back in the day... Strange. I pray and hope this NEVER Happens to You, your Loved Ones...your Children, your Mom, Sister , Aunt... You've seen me if you live in LaMesa... I'm a 53 year old woman who's been homeless in LaMesa for about a decade... I recycle your neighborhoods (quietly, and I NEVER leave a mess, I clean up other's messes too..) and you'll see me signing on Various corners around town. I don't do it out of greed, purely basic need. I thank all of you that have shown me kindness and compassion... And for the smiles you've given me...and for remembering me in your prayers. I remember you my prayers as well. Thank you for allowing me to express myself.and forgive.me if I've.ever.insulted you with my presence, has never been my intention. God bless us all...
Can I ask you 4 really personal Questions
1) Why didn't you move back to where you were From?
2) When you sent your kids away, why didn't go with Them ?

3) Where is the Father of the kids in all of this?
4) Did you File Taxes the years you were Struggling? The Child Earn Income credit is not a lot, but with 2 kids its was a nice lump sum to keep you going for a bit.
4a) Do you get SSI?

Old 02-10-2022, 10:39 AM

15,131 posts, read 32,371,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Can I ask you 4 really personal Questions
1) Why didn't you move back to where you were From?
2) When you sent your kids away, why didn't go with Them ?

3) Where is the Father of the kids in all of this?
4) Did you File Taxes the years you were Struggling? The Child Earn Income credit is not a lot, but with 2 kids its was a nice lump sum to keep you going for a bit.
4a) Do you get SSI?
I doubt if she'll be back.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:52 AM

10,349 posts, read 6,898,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I doubt if she'll be back.
Yeah, for sure.

<mod snip>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego